“Luxury hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Leela Palace Chennai

You added The Leela Palace Chennai to your Saves list
The Leela Palace Chennai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   M.R.C Nagar, R.A. Puram | Adyar, Chennai (Madras) 600028, India   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast and Wi-Fi Offer
Ranked #5 of 338 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
copenhagen
“Luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Arriving at the Leela is an impressive experience with huge burning candles and flowers every where. The entrance and the lobby are beautifully decorated, and are also the rooms. The bathtubs in the rooms are enourmous, and there are lot of extra amenities like chocolates, bathrobes, walk in closets etc. There is a lot of staff present all the times, and you do feel, you are in a luxury hotel. The breakfast is the best I ever had in a hotel, (except for maybe the Radisson in Lübeck) - with a continental, asian and indian part. You can have fresh made eggs after your own choice, dhosas, fresh fruit salads, dim sum etc. Unfortunately there were problems with our water in the room, so we had a lot of people going in and out.The swimmingpool area is on the 3th floor, with towels and bathrobes provided, and you can ask for food to be served at your sunbed. There are 3 restaurants, I tried the Chinese, which was really good. The Leela is not much more expensive than many other quality hotels in India, and would be very much more expensive if it was in Europe. For us it has been fun to have a whole suite for an affordable price in a real luxury hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Pascal_Dupuis_12, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this review, January 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at The Leela Palace Chennai in the very near future.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I think the best property in Madras. With a view of the Adyar Estuary and the Theosophical society. Service is excellent. Breakfast is to die for. The Indian food at the specialty restaurant is not up to the mark. Southern Spice at the Taj is better.

Room Tip: Rooms to the south side have a much better view. Try the breakfast Buffet it is fabulous :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

It is very encouraging and motivating for all of us to receive such positive feedback. We have taken good note of your comments about the food and rest assure our Chef is constantly looking for feedback in order to ensure guests satisfaction at all time.

Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed at the Leela Palace Chennai on Christmas Eve. It was my first experience with Leela and I can frankly say I was bowled over! I have stayed in many hotels across brands and can say Leela Palace Chennai is the best so far.

The room I stayed in was a sea facing room. Nice views, however would have loved if the balcony could be accessed! Staying for 3 nights in Pondicherry before arriving at the Leela had me spoiled for spending late evening watching the sea from the room balcony :) The room is excellent, amenities top notch. The bathroom is excellent with a super soak tub and powerful shower. There was hot water issue for a couple of hours because of some pipe burst. The management was courteous and full of personal apologies.

The food is probably the best part of the hotel. Our dinner at Jamavar their Indian restaurant was simply superb and breakfast at the Spectra the next morning was very well laid buffer with lots of choices. Loved the fresh waffle with maple syrup and whipped cream!

The staff was good, well behaved and courteous and went out of the way to accommodate our needs. All in all, an excellent property with delicious food. Highly recommended on all fronts!!

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are very good and worth the value.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed at the Leela Palace Chennai, my first time at a Leela property and I was completely blown away. The room was stunning, beautifully laid out and very comfortably furnished. The electronics and controls were just amazing and every little thing to ensure your comfort was available at the press of a button. Huge bathroom, a great walk in closet and a fantastic dining and sitting area just added to the experience.

The only somewhat negative aspect was that the Indian and Chinese specialty restaurants are open only at night and one cannot eat the simply amazing food available there in the afternoon. Because of this, one is stuck with room service or eating at the coffee shop. I am not a big fan of buffet meals, so this was a bit of a problem, especially on Christmas day when the restaurant did not even have an A La Carte option at lunch time.

The staff were incredibly well trained, courteous and helpful and all in all, its an absolutely amazing hotel. I am definitely going to stay at The Leela hotels more if this is an example of their hospitality.

Room Tip: Choose the Junior Suite. The larger ones have a city view and the slightly smaller ones have an ocea...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

hyderabad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I was ready to blown away by quite frankly the Leela splendour. But I was left underwhelmed.
The location is a wee bit out of the way and the rooms not as sumptuous as I was expecting. We chose a pool facing room as I wasn't too keen on the sea view (the sea isn't a caribbean blue if thats what your expecting). Don't get me a wrong, it was a perfectly nice room, with a really large bathroom. The shower area had a leak under the door and we were left with a huge puddle overtime we attempted a shower! My friend across the hall had a sea view room and it was nice as well, but we preferred ours since it had a little more privacy.
The reason I even wanted to write a review today was to mention the food at the Leela. In my opinion its the best food you will get in any 5 star in Chennai!
Spectra has a great spread for breakfast and the brunches are fabulous!
Room service was great, with the food arriving hot and perfectly tasty. A special mention to the deserts that were top notch.
China XO- The ambience and the slightly odd seating (affording a more cozy feel) and more importantly the food was wonderful. Do try the sea bass and peking duck. Best peking duck I've ever had in India!
Sadly the highlight of the food was let down by the service. The general attitude of the restaurant staff for breakfast was sad to see. The crumbs weren't wiped off and used jam pots were left on the table from a previous guest. Every time we asked for anything we couldn't help but notice the wait staff looked down right bored. I must mention, this only occurred at Spectra and we noticed it at Brunch on Sunday too. Quite a dampener when your eating delicious food.
A mention to the courteous valet service and friendly staff outside near the car alighting area.
The Leela is definitely a nice hotel. A few tweaks would be appreciated, but please don't tweak the food!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Pascal_Dupuis_12, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this review, December 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

It is very encouraging and motivating for all of us to receive such positive feedback. I was however extremely sorry to read about your disappointment about the level of service you have experienced at Spectra and can assure that we have taken your comment seriously.

What you have describe is certainly not the type of service we aim to provide at The Leela and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you at Spectra in the near future where, I am sure, we will be able to provide you with a much more positive impression.

chennai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Being familiar with Leela standards I had a very high expectations for this Hotel. But I have certainly underestimated the reality! Starting with the location, rooms, restaurants... - it is another fascinating World in Chennai! I strongly recommend all the travellers to take a look at this new Hotel in Madras and not to miss the opportunity to indulge yourself with the great stay in South India! Though they say that no one would appreciate too sweet comments, I could mention only 1 thing which I hope the Management will improve in the coming months - the WiFi, which I believe most of the customers expect to get for free these days!

Otherwise, for those who are already in Chennai - please do not miss lovely Sunday Brunches at Leela (prior reservation is advised!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

A very good & calming place to stay in. Liked the decorum of room and arrangements. Safety system of hotel is appreciable. Housekeeping is extremely good. Food here is delicious too. Staffs were friendly & cooperative too. The only concern I found was the service extended by staffs during meal at Spectra. I kept on looking for people continuously during my course for help. This is something Leela needs to improve on. Therefore my rating goes, 4/5. All the best to Leela and team!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Pascal Dupuis

Been to The Leela Palace Chennai? Share your experiences!