When we lived in Madras from 1977-83, the pool at the Connemara Hotel is where I learnt how to swim. So it has a vey special place in my heart. The poolside is also this hotels biggest asset. Set in a secluded colonial garden, sitting by the pool and reading in the late afternoon sun is magnificent. So is the dining in the restaurant by the poolside, which is charming with great food.
The hotel per se is a little bit dated. The style is a mix between art deco and colonial. We had a big suite on the ground floor, opening onto the pool, and it was fantastic albeit not entirely functional. The design incorporated a lot of smaller rooms/nooks within the suite that were somewhat a waste of space.
I have to say though, that the service was exceptional. Very attentive and welcoming.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai is the city's only heritage hotel, built in 1854 as the Imperial Hotel, renamed Albany in 1886, finally re-established as The Connemara in 1890. It was an Art Deco look that the Connemara sported when it ‘reopened’ in 1937. And the legendary architect Geoffrey Bawa added his touch to the tower block and linking pool in 1974. Today it is infused with the spirited style of Vivanta by Taj. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Connemara, Chennai Hotel Chennai (Madras)
- Hotel Taj Connemara Chennai