“GRT Grand, T Nagar, Chennai: All that glitters is not gold” 3 of 5 stars
Review of GRT Grand

You added GRT Grand to your Saves list
GRT Grand
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120, Sir Thyagaraya Road | T.Nagar, Chennai (Madras) 600017, India   |
Ranked #26 of 337 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Roorkee, India
“GRT Grand, T Nagar, Chennai: All that glitters is not gold”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

The Elevation of the Hotel is really Palatial. The reception is lighted very well. I was accompanying my colleague from Canada. I told the receptionist that we expect a bery good hospitality as I am reviewer of Trip Advisor ( I made that very specific ). He was given room 605 and I was given Room 619. When I entered my room, I immediately smelt smoke and realsied it was a SMOKING room. I wondered why when this was never mentioned during check-in why should I get a SMOKING ROOM. So I called the Front Desk and told them that I am an Asthamatic and showed them my Inhaler. I was then given a room 606 and lo and behold outside on the doors of 605 and 606 was the plate NON-SMOKING. So what am I saying : Inspite of my comment about Trip Reviewer, the Front Desk had the cheek of throwing me in a Smoking Room and my canadian colleague was escorted to a Non-Smoking room. So travelers from the West should expect a much better hospitality but I cannot assure the same to my own country men.
The Wi-Fi is free, which is very good. The free Breakfast too was good and lots of choices. Good hot Breakfast.
The Bed was just Sleepable but I cannot call it cozy.
The TV was , what should I say, 13 years old . I happened to ask the Front Desk and they told me the Hotel is 13 years old and so was the CRT type TV.
We checked in after midnight and this is the only Hotel who served me very good Hot and Soft Idlis for In-Room Dining. The Sambhar was v tasty though a little cold. There was a good chutney but not the standard coconut chutney. The Tea Sachets were of Premium Quality. There was a free 1 liter Bottled water which is appreciated.
The Carpet too was 13 years old.
The room really does not look like a 4 Star Hotel. I asked the Bell Boy and he said it was a 4 Star Hotel but the room and Bathroom appears 2 Star. I looked for a Hair Dryer but could not find one. The towels were clean but not bright white.
The morning alarm via the Phone was funny. The phone could hardly ring. Much better phone sets are available quite cheap now.
The Hotel glitters from outside like gold but inside the rooms it looks bronze.
It seems to be quite a safe place.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a NON SMOKING room if you do not smoke
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
ChennaiGrtgrand, General Manager at GRT Grand, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the positive feedback on Trip Advisor. I will certainly convey your sentiments to the team, who will be enthused to meet and exceed your expectations, every time you stay with us.

I have made note of the candid feedback that you have given and would like to assure you that necessary corrections would be brought in, from our end.

HP: 9840964282

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
trichirappalli
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I stayed two days from 9.12.2012 to 10.12.2012 in GRT grand hotel which is in T.Nagar chennai, which is in themidst of commercial and business center and very near to the famous MOUNT ROAD. Very good welcome at the reception and the time taken is lesser than any other hotel. The rooms are spacious , very neeat and clean with TV, cable connection, VCR etc., Bath room is very neat and all the items/bath kid are given free. The restaurant is so nice and you get all type of foood and the hospitality is excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. Upper floors can be prefered to have city look through windows

Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

Right from the beginning the overall services is excellent... Hope ll except the same in the future also... Previously i had bad experience in terms of services during my last visit in GRT in the month of March-2011. But now i feel very much comfortable with the services and because of this i, myself block the room for my upcoming trip to here... Please maintain the same in the future also....

Dear sir,

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

i had gone for a friends marriage party there, the halls we so nice with perfect ambiance of light and a/c, the bed rooms which we stayed in where amazingly nice and as good as new, there south indian food is a 5 star deservant

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

cochin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

i have been there only once, but i am very much impressed by service of the staff in the hotel they were very helpful especially in coffe shop i treated very nicely but one main thing i would like to say is about the health club and the pool i think it is the most unimpressive part of hotel .pool is so dirty and not looking good and should have more staff in health club apart from that it is a fine hotel for a comfort stay

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
ChennaiGrtgrand, General Manager at GRT Grand, responded to this review, December 10, 2011

Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a best hotel in chennai, great location. we were a little disappointed with the food , ( include buffet break fast, they have varity of food , but some of the food was not up to the mark) will definitly come back

Jayaraman. s , Oman, MUSCAT

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
ChennaiGrtgrand, General Manager at GRT Grand, responded to this review, November 30, 2011

Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

It was an extremely pleasant stay at GRT Grand during my recent business trip.. The hotel was safe and the security was good... The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful to provide any support or guidance when required. I was pleased with the care and concern shown to us right from the doorman to the servers, the officers at front desk to the duty managers and managers.

In short, it is a good place to stay both for short trips and for a long trip too.

Although in the centre of the city, it is still quite and peaceful to stay at this place..

Its worth a try...

Room Tip: Check for the extra services that is given as complimentary...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

HP: 9840964282

Been to GRT Grand? Share your experiences!