“Superb staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Coromandel Chennai

You added Taj Coromandel Chennai to your Saves list
Taj Coromandel Chennai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37, Mahatma Gandhi Road | Nungambakkam, Chennai (Madras) 600034, India   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Margazhi Package
Ranked #16 of 338 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
New York, NY
“Superb staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

I agree with some of the comments on this site regarding the rooms needing to be updated, but I've now stayed at this hotel several times and am sold. The rooms are good, especially compared to other Chennai options. What really makes the difference is the service. The staff knows you by name and goes well out of their way to help you with any requests. And, the restaurants in the hotel are great- especially Southern Spice (south Indian) and the Golden Dragon (Chinese). This is a great option if you want a full service hotel with an amazing staff.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2006

This hotel is in dire need of a renovation. I expected a luxury, 5-star hotel for the rate I paid ($315+ a night), but was very disappointed. The rooms are old, smell like mildew, and are noisy (thin walls and windows). I wanted to move to a new hotel the minute I saw the room... On a positive note, the staff members were very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2005

Just came back this week from a 4-day stay in this hotel.

Room/facilities: The rooms and beds are clean but have a slight musky smell...the staff says the hotel is 30 years old. I met a Chennai resident on the plane and she told me this is the "best" hotel. The included breakfast has a full buffet consisting of local and international selection. There is (I think) about 4-5 restaurants here : Chinese, French, Southern Indian, and a 24-hour international. The stay included round trip transfer to the hotel in 2 cars (there are 4 of us). There was a tag in the room that there is wireless internet (but not free of charge) which I did not use. Good hotel faciliitie/lobby. TV has many cable channels.

Service : Is first class...but then again...I got pretty good service thru most of Chennai. They try to surprise you with little things like washing and pressing a pair of pants left on the chair, leaving a box of chocolate (not just a lousy piece of mint).

Price : My biggest complain. The rate was USD 220 per nite b4 a 12.5% tax for my room. In a city where I can get a 3 hour city tour for about USD6, I think I expect a "Four-Seasons" equivalent for this price..but I think I am getting a "higher end Holiday-Inn-equivalent"

Location : This is in the heart of Chennai city although I did not roam around by foot near the hotel. Most of the places I need to go in Chennai was about 5-10 min "tutu" ride as I wasnt there for holiday. The main shopping centre, Spencer Mall, is about 10 min away and next to the other Taj hotel.

But the conclusion : I am back on this site looking for another hotel that is cheaper and hopefully newer/cleaner to stay for about 2 weeks next month.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

We had reserved 2 nights at this hotel. No way. The one review I read about this hotel as not representative about what I found. The room I got had not been updated since 1974. The beds were terrible, the funituree old. The badtub had stains in it that made it look dirty. The hair dryer was also from 1974 or older. I requested a newer room. The staff was very kind. The most Kind I have ever found. But the rooms we were showed were just as old. We were given a suite. It was just bigger. Same old beds. I got a bug on the pillow. I barely slept. Breakfast was good and the staff very sweet. But, I checked out first thing in the morning.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
Milan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2004

My experience at this hotel is defentely a good one. It is expensive but worth it. The rooms are beautiful with all conforts. I stayed in a club floor room. The whole hotel is extremely beautiful. The staff is kind and always ready to help you. You only see smiling faces around you. The Indian restaurant inside the hotel "Southern Spice" is a fantastic experience (if you like hot food!) They serve you Indian food while you listen to flute music and watch beutiful folk Indiand dancers. I would centrainly reccomend this hotel.

Been to Taj Coromandel Chennai? Share your experiences!