“Incredible service - If that's what you're looking for...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Coromandel Chennai

You added Taj Coromandel Chennai to your Saves list
Taj Coromandel Chennai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37, Mahatma Gandhi Road | Nungambakkam, Chennai (Madras) 600034, India (Nungambakkam)   |
Ranked #16 of 341 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Shelton, CT
“Incredible service - If that's what you're looking for...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

When I'm traveling here in the States, I'm a Motel 6 type of guy so getting to stay here on business for a number of weeks was overwhelming. They have so many staff members it made my headspin. Guy opens car door, guy opens hotel door, desk personnel greet you, guy opens the elevator for you...it was over the top for me, but in a good way.

The room service was great too. Anything you wanted. My mini bar refrigerator wasn't working properly and that got fixed within minutes. It was crazy.

You can't really walk anywhere easily though...but that seems par for the course. There is a little grocery store about a five minute walk that has anything you need if you wanted to stock up on some snacks.

The power does go off for a minute at most every afternoon, but that seems to be the norm.

That Chinese restaurant and Indian restaurant are awesome. Try the hot and sour soup. I didn't get a chance to eat at the Italian one.

And the nightclub is cool. Apparently there's often actors and actress from Indian films there...but I wouldn't recognize them so I took peoples word for it.

And the laundry is great too. I'd get my shirts sent back all folded and wrapped up with cardboard. My NASCAR shirt getting the royal treatment always brought a smile to my face.

And the remote where you can control the lights and the curtains from the bed was awesome too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such positive comments regarding your experience at Taj Coromandel.
I am glad you enjoyed and recognized our service delivery – something we do pride ourselves on as belonging to Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces.
The hotel, with its unmatched location, continues to be the preferred place of stay, dining and celebration by global leaders, corporate czars and celebrities.
We are glad to have your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel soon.

General Manager, Taj Coromandel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is little far from airport around 45 mts. But public transport is easily available. Walking distance to all eating joints and 15 mts malls city center and skywalk.great pool and gym .rooms are spacious. There South Indian is very expensive but coffee shop is great.. Buffet is very lavish.no free wifi

• Stayed April 2013
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
I am happy that the renovated facilities of the hotel including the pool, gym and rooms met your expectations.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We happened to stay for 2 nights at Taj Coromandel last week. It was a pleasant stay and was most convenient owing to its location at the Nungambakkam High Road. The security arranangements were too much as some of the IPL teams were staying there. I guess, we spotted a few players, but couldn't recoginize any as we are not much into cricket.

We stayed in a luxury room. The room was a little small compared to the other Taj properties we have tried in the past. Could be because of its location. The bathroom was really spacious and the tub was quite spacious too. My son had a good time in the tub. The diwan setup by the bay window was good. For some reason, the mattress was not so comfortable unless you are at the middle of the bed.

We tried Nasi Goreng and Chicken Satay for a dinner. It was exquisite! The breakfast spread at Anise was really extensive and we particularly liked the museli and the danish. I mostly tried the south indian breakfast. The pongal was rich and the vada was soft too. They had this onion oothappam whih turned out to be a disaster. I was surpised they couldn't make a good onion oothappam in chennai. Both the days, there was a little excess of tamarind in the sambar and the chilli chutney was a little sweet. The green chutney was perfect. Their egg dosa needs a special mention. They have this cutting chai, which is an imitation of the nair shop tea :) It was no where close to the real cutting chain.. too creamy. The filter coffee was divine and was lingeing in the buds for quite sometime.

The kind of personal attention we got is worth mentioning. The way they understand your likes in the first day and offer everything based on your likes is amazing.

As always, the hospitality was wondrtful

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review.
Taj Coromandel has been the preferred place of stay by dignitaries, global leaders, corporate czars and influencers owing to its long-standing association with the city for close to four decades and its unmatched location.
I am happy to read that the service was in keeping with the signature Taj hospitality. Your feedback regarding some of the cuisine at Anise, our all day-diner, has been shared with the respective teams and will be addressed.
Looking forward to your continued patronage.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Whenever we go to chennai, the restaurants in this hotel is a must visit, especially the coffee shop which never fails to impress with its delicious food ,both western and indian.we however, had a rather disappointing experience at the golden dragon, where the ambience was lovely but,unfortunately the food did not match the steep prices of the dishes.we ordered crabmeat soup, a pork dish, fried rice and a chicken dish,for which we got pork with peanuts (we did mention my son was allergic),the chicken and pork had exotic flavours , but did not quite satisfy my eager for indo Chinese taste buds.i have eaten at this place, frequently, in the old days, with ginger chicken to die for and the best shark fin soup, batter fried prawns and tasty rice and noodle dishes.the food is beautifully cooked with the freshest ingredients, but like isaid earlier , too exotic for my taste.It would be nice to see some of the old faves back on the menu. I must also mention that the chef made a real boo,boo, when he smothered our crab soup with spring onions, whiched ruined this delicate soup beyond recognition.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Caroline,

Thank you for visiting us again and taking the time to share your feedback . I am happy that you have had several memorable meals with us at Taj Coromandel. However, I deeply regret that your recent experience at Golden Dragon did not meet your expectations. I have taken note of your feedback and will ensure that the team at Golden Dragon works towards providing you with better services on your next visit. It is our constant endeavour to provide excellent dining experience to our guests.

We hope you give us an opportunity to welcome you again.

Bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just back from a wonderful 2 day stay with my family, at the Taj Coromandel, located at our hometown, Chennai. Having stayed in multiple hotels within and outside India, the Taj hospitality is one thing that amazes me throughout. Recollecting an incident at the Coffee shop, where we ordered an Egg dosa and a Chicken sandwich for breakfast on Day 1. Our waiter who served us earlier, came by on Day 2 checking if we would like the same dish (also suggesting couple of other dosas that may be of interest to us). It was great to see how they pay attention to guest preferences. Throughout our stay, the Taj staff excelled in their hospitality and personalised attention and made sure we felt at home (considering the fact that their filter coffee and curd rice, both being the pride of chennai, were wonderfully authentic) :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking to time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to note that you had a comfortable stay and our services were up to you expectations.
Please do experience our iconic south Indian specialty restaurant – Southern Spice – on your next visit. The restaurant serves authentic cuisine from the four southern states in a grand ambience inspired by the palaces and temples of the famed southern dynasties.
Looking forward to welcoming you back at Taj Coromandel.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay in Taj. Was not too sure when I landed up. However, the personalised services..right from check-in to check-out was delightful. The restaurants were fantastic. Special kudos to the people running the bar Chipstead. Great music, great cocktails, warm reception. Well done boys!

• Stayed April 2013
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Avijit,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Taj Coromandel. I am delighted to note that your experience was seamless and satisfactory.
Your compliments have been shared with the team at Chipstead – it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the ambience, food and service at the bar.
Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Chennai (Madras), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Its not about stay ,its all about the way they treated me..had gone there for an education fair by british council two months b4 probably..and before going to fair I planned to go to the coffee shop & bakery there regarding an enquiry and wanted to refresh myself @ restroom in lobby as restroom in convocation centre was out of water ..but the security didnt let me in and said u r only only allowed 2 enter the fair in convention centre not allowed to come here..I just got the feeling of ____..and when i entered the hotel for a seminar,I hav seen that everybody right from security to staff were keeping an eye on the students like we r gonna steal some thing from them..worst behaviour..do u respect only corporates not the students.. I am a regular customer @ many star hotels like connemara ,hyatt ,leela palace and dined there ..and no one disrespected me as im a student...British council has selected ur hotel coz of ur best service only ...but wt i can say is it is the worst five star hotel in the whole city coz of ur treatment..,,,know some respect first..learn it from connemara & trident...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Vicky,

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you at the Education Fair.
You will appreciate that as a responsible hospitality group, security is of importance and there are periods when high alert situations prevail. However, it was not our intention to cause a hindrance to you at the Hotel. We respect all our guests and are grateful for their patronage over the years.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

General Manager – Taj Coromandel

Been to Taj Coromandel Chennai? Share your experiences!