“Nice Hotel, good value and service” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1/24 G.S.T Road,, Chennai (Madras) 600027, India   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free WiFi
Ranked #9 of 338 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Pune, India
“Nice Hotel, good value and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This is a nice hotel, close to the airport. It has nice rooms, well laid out, spacious and quiet. The fitness center (part of the spa) is pretty large and well-set up in terms of cardio machines and weight machines. Service was very good, and checkout was quick (a pet peeve of mine is how long many hotels take for this because they dont trust you when you say you didnt take anything from the minibar, and insist on sending someone to check, then call the front desk to confirm before they process your bill and let you leave...!)

One small irritant for me at least was the very strong aromatizer they had going in the lobby and some common areas - it was too cloying and irritated my nose and respiratory system quite a bit - runny nose and sneezing resulted until I got away to my room.

Overall though, it was a decent deal for the price.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
TridentChennai, General Manager at Trident, Chennai, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your choosing Trident on your last visit to Chennai. I am glad that you had a comfortable stay at our hotel. Your generous compliments are a source of inspiration to our team members.

Your feedback on the quality of the aromatiser and check out service are of concern to me and will be addressed with due seriousness.

At Trident, Chennai our aim is to provide the highest levels of service. It is valuable feedback from discerning travelers like yourself that helps us to further improve our service and facilities. I thank you sparing your valuable time in providing valuable feedback.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

Another trip to Chennai within a month, the humid southern corner, with an expectant rain always lurking from behind the clouds in the sky, saw me checking into Trident, Chennai. The trip comes, courtesy a customer, who is still facing the Shakespearean dilemma as they once again embark on a journey towards having an emboldened communication backbone, hoping to conclude it at least this time. In my sales career, it might sound strange, but after working long with select customer, you actually look forward to conclusion of the deals, which can see customer moving forward, even when the possibility of your winning the deal seems not too certain.

That having said, the city of Chennai, I have never managed to see well, in the real term of seeing a city that one happens to visit, not even the famed golden sands of Marina Beach. All that I have seen in this city is the Hotels, sans the restaurant and the Spa and Gyms. I have never earlier written Hotel review, and I am not sure if this can be termed as a true review, given my already admitted limited exposure to the areas mentioned above, mostly on account of lethargy. My limited exposure to restaurants during these stays have been limited to Buffet breakfast, which is a typically staid affair in most of the starred hotel facilities, so much so, that if one is blindfolded and taken for dinner, you can never differentiate between the hotels where you are having the first meal of the day, except for one particularly outstanding idli which I had in Hotel Lalit, Bangaluru.

During all my earlier stays in Chennai, I have all the times stayed at Radisson, and during my last visit, less than a month back, I had a glimpse on Trident, right next door to Radisson. As against the Radissons’ slightly cramped architecture, Trident seemed all spread out in vast expanses. I was wondering if I should try Trident once, given a nice experience that I have had with Trident, Mumbai, Bandra Kurla, which was made lovely particularly by nice staff they had, and affection with which they treated me through a bad bout of migraine. Little does it matter if that affection might have been a result of training that they might have been through. What matters is the sense of knowing you that the staff gives you which defines hotel experience for me most. The food that you have most of the time in the hotels is not very different from the kind that you get in stand-alone restaurants. As fate would have it, Radisson was all booked and therefore I landed up in Trident, with a similar kind of face there to receive me at the airport as I landed at the Kamaraj Airport in Chennai. The car was all jazzy of the kind that all luxury hotels provide for, within it there was a bottle of water as usual. What was missing though was the wet towel, which some hotel pickup cars keep in. It is really a saver for me, as I feel a usual heaviness in the head after a flight, however short it might be. Another thing which was missing was a welcome which your chauffeur offers you on behalf of the hotel he represents. The best welcome I have yet received from any one on this count, has been from Hyatt Regency in Mumbai, where the guy was considerate enough not only to welcome the guest, but also about offering the towel and water and even asking the type of music you would want to listen on the way from Airport to the Hotel, now that is walking an extra mile.

The traditional way of welcome which Trident staff welcomes you, always warms my heart. The facility, as I I could see had a feeling of space built into it. What saddened me once I settled into the room was that the door of the bathroom would not close. Not a big nuisance, though, if like me, you are the only person occupying the room, but at the amount of rates that they charge, a bad interior designing job is the least that one would expect. I still remember, one similar experience in Radisson, Pune, with poor design as water would flow into the living space of the room. Another big gap which I found was the one which I have found with most star facilities for reason which I am not able to detect, was the missing shaving-dental kit and comb. It is not such a big inconvenience for the hotels to put together, but is a great convenience for business travelers. Given the restrictions which are currently there on carrying liquids, gels etc. in the flights, it would be great if all these basic things, one could get in the hotel. In Radisson Pune, I was told that one can get it on asking, but Radisson Chennai has been particularly good on this aspect, with toothpaste etc. all stacked into the bathrooms, which were decorated very attractively. Then came the in room dining. I ordered for some dinner, which included Thyme and Mushroom soup and ginger-ladyfinger fry with some rice and with dal as side dish. The menu did not have much from Chennai menu to pick from. I had had a wonderful tomato garlic curry in Radisson last time, cannot really recollect the name of the dish. Mulligatawny soup for some reason I enjoy a lot, with slight traces of rice floating into the dal, sadly it does not figure in most of the menus. I had asked for the same in Radisson Chennai, although it was again not in their menu, they were kind enough to put it together for me. Here I was told they did not have it, and thus was asked to limit my olfactory desires to the limits of the menu, and therefore ordered Thyme and Mushroom soup, which was excellent. The main course sadly, was not. The vegetable was low on salt, good for health, but not for the tongue, and the Dal portion was too limited. True, pulses in these inflationary times has become quite expensive, but with the prices at which they have pegged the food items, I suppose, they could have increased the portion to meet with the requirements imposed by the amount of rice that they put, which was again not of the quality to write home amount. Another question which amuses me most is the channels which they show on the Televisions in the hotels. I do not understand why they have so many regional channels on their television. Do they expect people from within the city and state that they are situated in, to stay with them?
There is no HBO, Star movies was shaky and only two English news channels.
I left the hotel early in the morning, after a quick breakfast; nothing adventurous there. Travel desk had promptly arranged the cab, a decent vehicle with again that touch of personalization which was slightly missing. The Radisson next door could not get hotel cab for me during last visit, and arranged outside cab. But they still put in wet towel and water bottle in it, to make me feel better. That I lost my book “Meditations” by Marcus Aurelius, of course, lead to maddening departure last time. Another good thing with Trident was smooth check out, however, there was no information about any facility available in the hotel or possibility of points or memberships, this is something Radission does reasonably well, and which I found Hyatt Regency Mumbai has perfected to an art, as the concierge walks you to the room, where you sign the check-in details, he briefs you about all the hotel has to offer. Although, do check and cross-check the billings, given the tendency of these hotels to man the check-outs with trainee staff. During my last stay in Radisson Chennai, discount was added to the bill instead of getting subtracted, so be very careful and do cross-check, not assuming that the look of professionalism eliminates the possibility of human error.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Your feedback on the welcome at the airport, bathroom facilities and amenities, menu variety and quality of food are of concern to me and will be addressed with due seriousness.

My team and I will look forward to welcoming you back to Trident and to Chennai.

Yours sincerely,

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

All I have to say is that in 14 years of travel, Service has always been a concern. But this hotel nailed it! Adhered to all my colleagues requests and took very good care. The rooms are great and the facilities provided in the Club Lounge feels exclusive. The chefs are very interactive and the Food is excellent. Its hard not to praise this hotel. Being ten minutes from the airport is another huge advantage for someone who is pressed for time.
I only wish I could have stayed longer. Will come back for sure on my next visit.
FYI be sure to try the gym1

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
TridentChennai, General Manager at Trident, Chennai, responded to this review, November 17, 2010

Chennai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

This Hotel has one Great advantage that it is situated too close yo the airport! Too close is not the word because you can see the Runway of the Chennai International Airport and Also the flights landing and Takeoff. Thus i checked out of the hotel as late as i could.The oher basic amenities where of good standard.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Hangzhou, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

I did spend here couple of nights with my colleagues. This hotel is ok for business traveler. Would not recommend it for others. It has convinient location nearby airport.

Here my pros and cons.

Pros
- Close to aiport
- Food at restaurants (western & Indian food)
- Ok pub
- Fast check in
- Overall service is good

Cons
- Hotel and rooms do look bit outdated
- Breakfast selection is not good
- Garden and swimming pool area is disspointing
- Internet costs
- Slow service in their Indian restaurant

Trident is ok hotel. Nothing spectacular indeed. No frills choice for frequent business traveler. They could improve things, as if you end up being there more than several nighths, it may get pretty boring.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
TridentChennai, General Manager at Trident, Chennai, responded to this review, November 6, 2010
Dear Guest,

Your feedback on the quality of the room, breakfast, swimminp pool, internet and service in the restaurant are of concern to me and will be addressed with due seriousness.

Yours sincerely,

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

Good Hotel. I surely grade this as better for many occasions be it business or leissure trip. I think this is the one of the best hotels in the city. Very friendly staff and good calm atmosphere, amazing food. Hospitality of the hotel members was outstanding. I'm sure I will be surely taking another stay into this next time when I land in the city

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Waalwijk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We booked this hotel for one night near the airport of Chennai because we had to leave the next morning for our flight to Coimbatore.

We were picked up and dropped of at the airport, which is great service.

The food was great, the eveningsnack we had as wel as the breakfast the next morning.

Just a beautyfull, clean, great hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you.

Been to Trident, Chennai? Share your experiences!