“Palace in the heart of the City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ITC Grand Chola, Chennai

and 1 more site!
You added ITC Grand Chola, Chennai to your Saves list
ITC Grand Chola, Chennai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 63, Mount Road | Guindy, Chennai (Madras) 600032, India   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
3rd night free
Ranked #4 of 341 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Palace in the heart of the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the ITC Grand Chola in December 2013. It was my first visit and it definitely will not be my last. Except for the location being a disadvantage as most of my favorite city attractions were quite far from the hotel, my overall experience was truly Royal. The obviously noticeable feature is the sheer size and grandeur of the hotel, which makes it feel more like a palace than a hotel. The second and very important aspect that stands out is the warm and courteous nature of the entire staff. The service throughout my stay was exceptional and was a highly welcome change from most of the other 5 star hotels in Chennai. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights in "The Towers" with my girlfriend and we had booked the spa package which included a few spa vouchers and the spa experience was definitely worth it. The spa experience at times made me feel like I was not even in India let alone Chennai where usually such services do lack the international standards that I have come to get used to.

But like all things in life, nothing is perfect and the Grand Chola did have some negatives as well. Due to my busy schedule I only had the chance to dine in one of the many restaurants (a plus point of the hotel). Dinner on one of my nights was at "Peshawri" and it was a big disappointment. I have dined at Peshawri in Delhi and Mumbai and the quality of food at Chennai was sadly very poor compared to the other 2 cities. The service not so great either. To make up for it I headed over to the Italian restaurant "Ottimo Cucina Italiana" for desert as I definitely needed some good Tiramisu to make up for dinner. Unfortunately my bad luck continued into the night as the Tiramisu was a another major disappointment! On the negative side of things the glaring issue is the quality of food. This can be vouched for by also mentioning the in-room dining service which lacked options and taste. The one saving grace was the buffet breakfast which had a very lavish spread and being served "Madras Filter Coffee" at our table 5 Star style was definitely worth the experience.

Overall I would still rate my stay as 4/5 as I definitely enjoyed my experience and as mentioned would love to visit again. I hope the management does address the dining side of things so that we can enjoy a truly Royal 5 Star experience next time!

Room Tip: Definitely choose The Towers or a higher category. It will be worth the experience.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ranvir_Bhandari, General Manager at ITC Grand Chola, Chennai, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We are delighted to take note of your valuable feedback on ITC Grand Chola. Thank you for your wonder comments about the hotel’s architecture and its grandeur. Our staff will be delighted to know that they succeeded in making you feel like royalty. While we are extremely happy to know about compliments about Madras Pavilion, we sincerely regret to hear about your unpleasant dining experience at Peshawri. Your feedback has been duly shared with the team and we assure you that your comments have been looked into in detail.

We eagerly look forward to your next visit.

Vice President South and General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

ITC Grand Chola is a nice place to stay in Chennai. Very helping staff with good hospitality antiquates. If rooms are available, they do not hesitate to extend hours for the convenience of guests. Food is good with variety to suit different class of guests

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear about your wonderful words of appreciation about our staff and our food & beverage offerings.

We hope you will allow us many more opportunities to serve you in the future

Warm regards
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was in ITC Grand Chola a couple of months ago and it was really GRAND. Great aura , lot of space, multiple restaurants and great food. We felt like as if being in an international location while still feeling traditional. Great place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback with us. We are delighted to note that you found our hotel to be really grand and enjoyed our food & beverage offerings.
We eagerly look forward to your return.

Warm regrds,
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had a chance to stay in ITC Grand Chola twice in 2013 once in October and other in December. My first impression of the property was great ( which prompted my second stay), but in next visit just because of pathetic service it fell of the cliff. I will give property five star for architecture, cleanliness, room décor. The rooms are equipped with state art of features controlled by IPADs, its pretty fascinating ( atleast for first time users). Service is where this hotel loses out real badly. On check in person who was assisting us forgot about us and then came back after 15minutes, when he realized we are waiting on counter (seriously). No luggage assistance was offered (second trip) for long till we decided to take it on our own. In restaurants we asked for Masala tea twice, but each time the server took the order and disappeared.I sincerely hope management of such a big property should seriously take note of such basic lapses which are impacting otherwise one of the best constructed and maintained Hotel properties in India. I sincerely hope this visit was an aberration and things will be better off in future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We are glad that you liked the hotel’s architecture. However, we sincerely regret that you did not find the service to be up to your expectations on your second visit. We have made note of your concerns which will be looked into thoroughly. We reassure you that this is definitely not what we stand for.
Do allow us another opportunity to make it up to you.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed at ITC Grand Chola for 2 nights. Very luxurious,reasonable service. Great restaurants,
good food.
The interior is huge and looks empty. Hard to find anyone to direct you.Corridors near the rooms are dark with no natural light.
Was in the Indian restaurant (buffet) for the Dec 31st night dinner. Good mix of eastern & western food.

Room Tip: Great rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ranvir_Bhandari, General Manager at ITC Grand Chola, Chennai, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad that you found your experience at ITC Grand Chola to be luxurious and value for money. Thank you for you positive remarks about our service and food offerings at Madras Pavilion.

We eagerly await your return

Vice President South and General Manager
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Staying at the ITC Grand Chola has been a wonderful experience, at every point. The spa, the pool, the food, and the general atmosphere of the hotel made me feel like royalty. I was treated like a princess by every staff member and anything I needed or wanted was just a finger tip away via my personal room Butler or the hotel staff. The best way to encompass my stay is through one particularly great interaction- during the Luxury Hour free drink and snacks time at the hotel I saw a drink being made at the bar that I had never tried but was exactly what I wanted. I called over one of the servers and pointed to the drink being made, and as I did to my surprise a waiter by the name of Nilesh (or as nicknamed bartender magician) brought it over to my table. He said that he had remembered what drinks I had liked from the other two nights I had come by for Luxury hour and wanted to make something special for my last night. The level of personal touches and friendly faces will make your stay very worth while. 5 stars!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time out to write such an elaborate and valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you were impressed with our services and facilities. It is further pleasing to know that we succeeded in making you feel like royalty at ITC Grand Chola. Thank you for you wonderful comments about the spa, pool and the in-room digital butler. Nilesh will be thrilled to hear about your compliments.

We eagerly await your return.

Vice President South and General Manager
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Overall my stay at this property was excellent. I traveled with family and stayed at this hotel in 2 Grand Chola suites for 4 days in January of 2014.
The hotel is large and imposing. The exterior architecture is somewhat blocky and fortress like, but the interior lobby and common areas are gorgeous and spacious. There is extensive use of marble through out on the walls and floors of the entire hotel that create a favorable impression of opulence.
The check in process is painless and the bell staff are very attentive. We reserved 2 "Grand Chola" suites which is apparently their premium suite, just one level below the presidential suites. The suite consisted of a bedroom and completely separate living area that was spacious and tastefully furnished. The rooms are equipped with iPads that control lighting, AC, TV and have a room service menu. This is pleasantly high tech, but is also glitchy at times and I expect this to get better with time.
One of our rooms was designed with an open concept bedroom/bathroom configuration which I did not notice initially and is a little weird for families, so make sure you ask what configuration your particular room is going to be, unless you like that sort of thing.
Room service is prompt and efficient. There is a butler service that is quite nice.
Food is tasty but a little pricey at all the restaurants of which there are 4.
I cannot say enough good things about the staff. They are universally courteous, friendly and eager to please.
The spa is excellent!! Truly excellent, and I am a fairly picky spa customer.
Laundry is also very efficient and will pick up at all hours.
Very well appointed gym that is clean and spacious.
As with most hotels in India, maintenance needs improvement, there are several water stains and streaked windows in the exterior facade, though the interior is kept very clean and neat.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to Chennai. We are delighted to take note of your wonderful comments aobut the hotel’s architecture and décor. Thank you for your pleasing remarks about our suites, in-room iPad, butler service and our staff.

Hope you allow us another opportunity to serve you in the coming future.

Vice President South and General Manager.

Been to ITC Grand Chola, Chennai? Share your experiences!