“Best deal in town” 5 of 5 stars
Review of YWCA Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chennai (Madras)
YWCA Guest House
You added YWCA Guest House to your Saves list
1086, Poonamallee High Road, Chennai (Madras), India   |
Ranked #29 of 245 Chennai (Madras) B&B and Inns
Kent, Connecticut
“Best deal in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Whenever I travel to Chennai I always stay at the YWCA. It is clean, pleasant, affordable, with a full breakfast and other meals upon request. The people who work there are always pleasant and helpful. And being so close to the train station is an added bonus. An ATM is just next door. I especially recommend it for a woman traveling alone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

YWCA guest house has comfortable and clean accommodations, great food and is very affordable. I reserved the room over the phone and was a little nervous about the reservation as no money had exchanged hands. However, my doubts were unfounded as the reservation was very much in place, when I checked-in. I took a taxi from a government booth at the airport. In hindsight, I would suggest taking a Fasttrack taxi as it would be a little cheaper with better service. Since this was my first time in Chennai after 10 years, I was a little disoriented. Thankfully, a porter appeared from nowhere and not only directed me to the taxi stand but helped me with locating my taxi. He did expect to be tipped though. The language barrier was a big problem and communicating with the taxi driver was a challenge. Even though the guest house is located in the heart of the city, I discovered that the auto/taxi guys find it a little hard to find.
But once I found the place, it was fantastic! The ambiance is very calm and peaceful. The reception staff were very cordial as well. One would probably be asked for an advance at the check-in. The room itself was spacious, very clean with a cupboard, 2 chairs, a table and an attached bathroom. The bathroom was very clean and spacious as well. Throughout the stay, the room was regularly cleaned and bedsheets and towels were changed everyday.
As a single female traveller, I felt very safe and at peace here. Even though my room faced the street it wasn't noisy at all. The dinner buffet was delicious and fairly priced. The breakfast was complimentary but didn't have a chance to try it as I had to leave early for my appointment. You can easily find an auto outside for travel within the city but be sure to haggle shamelessly. The reception staff can also arrange a taxi but the prices are more than double the local rates.
On the whole, it's a wonderful no-frills, extremely safe place to stay in Chennai. I'm going to stay here again if I ever have to travel to Chennai again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Few weeks before upon arrival, I have arranged with YWCA for airport pick up at 10pm unfortunately no show. I did called them several times again once I arrived but after waited for an hour, the driver asked me to take other taxi from airport instead. Luckily the ITC hotel operator assists me with the phone called and taxi. Safely arrived at guest house about 12 midnight.

The management did apology on what happened. They engaged with other party for the taxi. I think there is no guarantee about the transportation. However, the reception desk and staff are friendly and helpful.

Room is spacious with complimentary local English newspaper and basic breakfast from 7.30am -9.30am. Room is old but is clean with daily housekeeping.

Bathroom with hot-cold shower, mini soap, toilet paper and towel. If you prefer cold shower, I suggest to do so from 8pm-10am because the cold water beneath pipeline will turn hot water in the late morning onwards till afternoon due to the hot weather. Charges for WIFI usage at 100rupees with unlimited usage. Mineral water 1 litre cost 20rupees. Used their phone to make local call for few minutes cost about 1-1.5rupees.

Yes I totally agree with previous review that to avoid the “auto” rickshaw outside the YWCA as they will totally rip you off. I was about to call the police when the driver try his luck asked me to pay for triple price. Luckily, I asked the front desk about the estimated price first. For better price, walk out from main gate and turn left. After few steps away from the bus stop, flag the auto. Please don’t forget to ask the price from the driver before you hop in.

As the solo female traveller, I felt safe staying in YWCA. Definitely, it is a place to recommend.

Room Tip: Try to get the room not facing the road because of the traffic noise.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

From the moment I stepped into YWCA, I was thoroughly impressed by the hospitality and consideration of the staff here. Reserving the room was done through email which was promptly confirmed within a day. The rooms are clean and comfortable, nothing too fancy, yet perfect for someone looking for a no-frills place and budget. The place is well located and close to public transportation. The campus itself is serene and quiet. As a single female traveller, I felt perfectly safe and it reminded me back to my days in the women's hostel. Breakfast is complimentary, and the dining hall also serves lunch and dinner. You can opt for either vegetarian or non-vegetarian buffet which is again fairly priced. The crowd is ecletic - there are backpackers, solo travellers, families and even a few on business trips. I know for sure that I'm not going to look elsewhere whenever I'm in Chennai on a trip.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

The YWCA Guest House offers a perfect location, comfortable, clean accommodations, delicious safe food, and very affordable prices. Whether you're a budget traveler or staying in more upscale accommodations, the YWCA in Chennai is a great place to start when arriving in India for the first time. It is very close to Egmore rail station (as well as the pick up location for many bus lines) and handy to great shopping, banks, etc. There is actually an ATM that will take international cards an dispense large amounts of rupees right next door.

The grounds are beautiful and the bird song is a wondeful way to wake up in the morning. Be sure to get a room on te quiet side of the building as the street noise can still creep in if you're near Poonamalee.

Aruna and the others at reception are gracious, helpful, and warm. The reception are has WIFI and feels a bit like the great room of an old mission bungalow. Many other travelers are there and the atmosphere is incredibly friendly with many people introducing themselves in the dining room.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. If you are beginning your tour of South India by flying into Chennai, this is THE place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed here towards the end of a few months study in India. i had never travelled in India before so can't compare it with many other places here but I found this place good value for money, spacious, clean and friendly. My room was larger than average and the food was tasty. As a single female travelling the security is reassuring. This is a good choice for those on a budget.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dresden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

The YWCA was my first accomodation in India. The room and bathroom was very clean, furniture is a bit old though. The YWCA is in a small garden, has security officers and it felt very safe there. The staff is very helpful and made my first days in India a lot easier. I tried the food one time, it was tasty and you can have as much as you want. Only disadvantage is the noise from the street which forces you to use earplugs. It's only 5min walking from Egmore Station so it's easy to reach.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to YWCA Guest House? Share your experiences!