“Not that good a stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Club House

You added Taj Club House to your Saves list
Taj Club House
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 2, Club House Road | Landmark - Off Mount Rd, Near Spencer Signal, Chennai (Madras) 600002, India   |
Ranked #22 of 338 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Not that good a stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times but this time the stay wasn't that great. The sink in the bathroom had water logging issues and it took two complaints to fix the issue over a period of two days. On the first day, I found my wardrobe in the room full of small bugs! So from a cleanliness in the room, this happened to a massive fail! Even on a previous stay at the hotel, I had found a spider on my bed! So two occasions in a row deserves some negative feedback!

The stay at the hotel was quite comfortable and the staff are courteous, professional and friendly. The room service was excellent and the service at the coffee shop (Club House) was also very good. I am brand loyal, so I will not say that I will not stay here again. But if such housekeeping mishaps happen for a third time, then I will start looking for another business hotel in the city!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Have been stating here since the property first opened & absolutely live the location. Close to both Spencer Plaza & the recent opened Avenues Express. Staff are lovely and both the breakfast & dinner buffets are very good. Will return whenever in Chennai.

• Stayed May 2013
Ian D, General Manager at Taj Club House, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

It’s extremely pleasing to note that you were pleased with the overall quality of the food and service.

It was indeed a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you once again to the Taj Club House.

General manager
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had been there for three days last week. What I liked was its location, freindly and cooperative staff, full car parking space,and lovely food.There was a a stamp of TAJ throughout.All room accessories were in excellent working condition and a good wide TV entertaining.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ian D, General Manager at Taj Club House, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

It’s extremely pleasing to note that the overall quality of service and facilities at the hotel measured up to your expectation.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Extremely nice hotel when snide. Comfy room, with lots of space. The food is great, with plenty of cold kingfisher available.

It's a shame when you look out your windows and see the poor part of chennai. Beggars urinating on the street, and children running round naked. Stay in the hotel, and don't venture out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband stayed here back in March for a business trip and when we needed to return to look for housing (we are moving to Chennai next month) he knew exactly where he wanted to stay. The staff of any hotel can make or break your experience. The staff of the Taj Club House were amazing. From the driver who picked us up from the airport (complimentary), to the security staff upon arrival, to the front desk staff who checked us in, to the porter who took our bags, to the wait staff at the restaurants, they were all completely focused on giving us a wonderful experience. Two quick examples:

Each morning, the hotel offers complimentary Indian and Western breakfast options. Do yourself a favor and give the Indian option a go, it is delicious! On our second morning there my husband and I were trying to figure out the correct pronunciation for "thank you". So I asked our waiter Ajit,, not only did he tell us how to say it correctly, he wrote out the phonetic spelling in Hindi and Tamil. For the duration of our stay he presented me with 2 helpful words or phrases each morning along with my tea. He is simply wonderful and the Taj would do well to keep him around.

As anyone who has been to Chennai will tell you, the city can be overwhelming and stressful. At home I have a regular yoga practice and when I travel I take my practice with me. This time, however, I could not bring a yoga mat so I was planning to practice without one. I cleared a space in the room and had my first session then went on with my day. When I returned, one of the cleaning staff asked if I was practicing yoga I our room and when I said yes, he offered to bring me a mat to use for the duration of our stay. Very nice.

The room itself is OK, nothing to write home about. The bed was comfortable and the work space is generous. However, the shower is not well sealed and water would soak the bath mat and the rug really needs to be deep cleaned. Having said that, our stay overall was wonderful thanks to an awesome staff. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ian D, General Manager at Taj Club House, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I have taken the liberty to convey your appreciation to the entire team especially the associates you have mentioned. They have conveyed their heartfelt gratitude for your kind words of appreciation.I am certain this will serve as a source of inspiration for all of us in achieving higher standards of excellence.

Whilst we are glad that you were very pleased with our food and service , we regret the shortfalls with regards to the bathmat and the water seeping out of the shower. Please be rest assured that corrective measures have been taken in this regard.

Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I should have penned this before now but better late than never!. I have had reason to visit Chennai on business on two occasions, for periods of three months. On both occasions I stayed at the Taj Mount Road. Despite there being a gap of a year between visits the staff remembered me. After a long flight from UK I was greeted like a friend by the staff on duty. They simply cannot do enough for their guests. It seems to be an ethos created by the GM Ian Dubier. Wish other hotel GMs had his ideas and skills. Food was excellent, and yes the rooms had a few issues now and then, but one had to just mention a problem and it was attended to, especially if you mentioned it to Deepa, a customer relations manager! The bar staff, especially Chang and Cindy were excellent and not to forget Nilesh, the "club" manager, There are other more modern hotels in Chennai but it will be the Taj Mount Road for me. Taj Group should be really proud of this collection of staff.

Jim Heaney

Jim Heaney

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

1st ever visit to Chennai, arrived around 2 am, bags scanned through X-Ray machine, I went through metal detector, Check In is fast, business card asked for and given, form signed, no need to give credit card which was different. Rec'd a welcome drink while checking in.

Taken to room and the room key would not open the door so the hotel staff used his master key to open the door and then he went down to get the key sorted out and bring back to me.

Room is quite nice, large LCD TV, large bed, the bed does come with 9 pillows of different sizes, what is 1 guy supposed to do with 9 pillows LOL :)

Bed is comfortable, AC is quite good, when sleeping the AC sort of blows directly towards the bed which can get cold quite fast, nothing can be done apart from turning down the temp but still manageable.

Ordered in room dining, food was amazing, tried the Thali set, south Indian 1 night and North Indian the next night, both time the food was delicious, service was fast and they come back at your desired time to come pick up the tray or you can just place the tray outside the door.

On the last night of my stay, I came back from the office and again the room card didnt function so I had to go back down to reception and get it sorted out, they did it instantly but a bit off a hassle to have to go down and get it sorted out. This has been my 2nd hotel where I have had this problem, I mentioned it on the feedback email I rec'd and got a reply from the Hotel Manager the next day apologizing about it and taking corrective actions.

Wifi/Internet is not provided with the room rate, for 24hr internet the cost is aprox US12, speed is ok.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Whilst we are glad that you were very pleased with our food and service, we regret the inconvenience caused to you with regards to the door lock problems. Please be rest assured that corrective measures have been taken and you will definitely see a marked improvement on your next visit.

Ian Dubier

Been to Taj Club House? Share your experiences!