“It wasn't as bad as I feared!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chandra Park

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chennai (Madras)
Hotel Chandra Park
You added Hotel Chandra Park to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9, Gandhi Irwin Road | Egmore, Chennai (Madras) 600008, India (Nungambakkam)   |
Ranked #135 of 341 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
London
“It wasn't as bad as I feared!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

There's been such a range of reviews for this place I was more than a little wary of what I might find. But I booked in on three seperate occasions in Feb/March and would probably consider doing so again (in the unlikely event of returning to Chennai). Admittedly, the desk staff are rather sour and seem to have a chaotic reservation system (you need to triple check and brandish the confirmation e-mail in front of them) and yes the sheets are a little grubby. However, the location is fantastic for the train, the price is keen for the location and there's a handy internet place around the corner. Plus the shower was one of the best I had in the 10 weeks that I travelled in India! As a quick stopover it was perfectly adequate

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

Not sure what the writer of Give this place a miss was talking about..either a different place or just bad timing or they wanted a 5 star hotel for a 3 star price..after all this is India and the price of the room was quite reasonable. We were in India three weeks and saw plenty of hotels and guest houses and this one was not the cleanest but was far from the worst. The room service was fine when we needed towels or the laundry done. The doorman was super friendly. The front desk staff could have been friendlier but I suspect that was more of a language thing.They had hot water as advertised and many hotels didn't.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

I spent three nights at the hotel. I am a woman traveling on my own. I felt safe and comfortable at the hotel. I ordered room service and it was fast and the food quite tasty. I arranged for an airport pickup. When I arrived at the hotel I was charged more than origially quoted. It only added up to $1 but it was the principle. The next day I mentioned this and was given a refund. I arrived quite late at night but had to wait 10-15 minutes for the room to be cleaned. At 1:30 am it's a lot of time. The room was clean but the sheets had oil spots. I used my sleeping bag. There was no toilet paper in the bathroom. The shower is not in a stall so the toilet and floor get wet. The water then gets tracked into the room creating a bit of a muddy mess. The room was noisey as there are hard floors. A few times people were having mobile conversations in the hall in the middle of the night. I kept the air conditioning on for white noise. My biggest gripe was the wi-fi. One must pay for a 12 hour card but the system is constantly crashing. On my second day I was only able to used the card for a few minutes. I complained. They said the problem was my computer which was clearly not the case. They needed to reset the modem but wouldn't do so. I asked for a refund and they refused.

Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

Overpriced, dingy & dirty, with very poor service. We arrived late at night, otherwise we would have walked straight back out. Reception unwelcoming, sour. After we checked in it took 1½ hrs to get towels, & they weren’t even busy. A staff of thousands doing bugger all. Litter all over the floor in the dining room. Buffet breakfast was OK but if you need anything like cutlery, black tea, a glass – forget it. Rooms poky, dirty, dark. Shower & hot water were good, pillows soft but bed linen stained & torn. We paid Rs1950 + luxury tax. Description in Lonely Planet is way off the mark. Yes, there are flowers floating in a dish in the lobby but if you arrive after sunset, you won’t see them in the gloom. ‘Classy’ it ain’t. Give this place a miss unless you’re desperate to be opposite Egmore Station.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

Chandra Park is a reasonable place to stay in Chennai. We spent one night there. Reservation was fine, the organised Airport pick-up was ok, the room size ok, for Chennai's lack of cheap and good places to stay, the price was all right, clean. What makes me give but 2 points for our experience is:

1. Lack of hot water, it was just a sort of warm
2. Window to the very loud street
3. My friend wasn't eating breakfast on the first day (only me) and was refused to have it on the second day, so we had to pay for her breakfast extra (unnecessary arrogant staff after complaining)
4. We announced that we will check-out later and fixed a check-out time - although this explicit agreement, we were woken up early in the morning by phone to ask for our check-out time.

If you don't mind this few disturbing things, ok.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — arrogant staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Shanghai, China
1,902 helpful votes 1,902 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hotel is located in Central Chennai, opposite the Egmore Railway Station.

The lobby and restaurant appear to have been recently rennovated and are the most impressive area of the hotel. The restaurant is tidy and comfortable and serves a variety of reasonably priced food. We especially enjoyed the thali (a popular form of vegetarian food). The cost of the room included a decent buffet breakfast in the restaurant.

Our room was small and fairly basic. Although it was very clean and they were happy to provide fresh sheets and towels daily. There was hot water and the AC was strong enough to provide an escape from the heat and humidity of Chennai.

Overall we found this to a reasonable option, especially considering the lack of good budget options in this city.

• Liked — The food and restaurant
  • Disliked — The size of the room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ANCASTER
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

I stayed 3 nights at the Chandra Park Hotel. It is a fairly large property directly opposite the Egmore railway station. My standard room was quite small, with central A/C. The perennial problem in India of stained and worn bedding, coupled with the need to ask for such basics as toilet paper, towels and a laundry bag spoke volumes of the lack of housekeeping standards, although the room was reasonably clean and quiet. The hotel has clearly been allowed to run down, although painting of hallways was in progress while I was there, so perhaps improvements are coming. I paid Rs770, including tax and breakfast, and so the price level was appropriate for the accomodation provided. It is still a great location for train travellers.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The need for improved maintenance and housekeeping standards
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Chandra Park? Share your experiences!