“Incredible value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 306 Hotels in Jaipur
Austin, TX
“Incredible value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

Staff was extremely courteous, friendly, and helpful, which was a rarity among all the countless hotels I stayed at in India, even at places where I paid a lot more. The price was only 650 rupees ($13) for two people, which is about the least I ever paid for a room in India, but the quality rivaled places where I paid two or three times as much. Our room was nice and clean and had a little table surrounded by cushions for sitting on the floor, which my girlfriend loved. She said the place would have been her favorite of all the places we stayed had the room had a heater, though we learned later that we could have paid a little extra for a heater.

We had wanted to stay at Hotel Pearl Palace because of the exceptional reviews and amazing rooftop restaraunt but it was full. Fortunately, when we arrived at Sunder we noticed that Pearl Palace was practically next door, so we were able to pop over for dinner on the roof anyway. Sunder has its own rooftop restaurant which is also quite nice, though not quite as nice as Pearl Palace's.

Only two problems: I couldn't pick up the WiFi in my room (though it worked in the lobby), and in the restaurant we ordered food without milk or cream but they brought it to us with milk/cream anyway. Admittedly, this was a problem for us all over India -- we'd order that way, in both English and Hindi to make sure they understood, but they'd ignore that and bring us the opposite of what we ordered anyway.

These were minor hiccups. We'd definitely stay at Sunder again.

• Liked — Great staff, low price, very clean
  • Disliked — WiFi not available in all rooms
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
hounslow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on our holiday to India and found it to be ok. The rooms were clean and comfortable but if you are looking for a hotel closer to the old city then this would be a wrong choice as the hotel is located pretty far from the old city and one has to traverse quite a distance.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ningbo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

Great stay here. Professional, friendly, clean, and comfortable. They picked us up at the train station and when we left they helped us buy our bus tickets. My only regret is that we didn't have a few more days to spend there.

I would definitely recommend the Sunder Palace!

Stayed December 2008
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

The best hotel we have stayed in India! And, I think, the best hotel of all I happened to stay around the world! Everything was great! The hosts are marvelous and really helpful, the rooftop restaurant is amazing with wonderful decorations and fantastic veg cuisine. Our room was huge, sparkling clean and quiet. We had TV, hot shower, fridge and air conditioner. The location was great too. On our first day we walked on foot from the hotel to Pink City. There’s also a government hotel 300 m from Sunder Palace with an official representative office of Rajastan Government Travel Agency – we bought a brilliant city tour in that agency. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. The best price-quality ratio!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Delft
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

This hotel offered us a nice stay. Large and clean rooms with hot showers for about 750 - 850 Rs per room per night. We received a free pickup from the train station. Nicely decorated roof terrace with only vegetable meals.

Helpful staff which offered us a driver for a very short trip in Rahjastan (Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Pushkar, about 2000 km) in 5 days for 12000 Rs.

Outside you´ll find a rikshaw driver which will guide you around Jaipur in a day for Rs 400 + tip. It is a nice and fair guy and his name is Rafiq. I think you can really trust him.

Michiel
The Netherlands

• Liked — price comparing to the quality of the rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I voice the same compliment from the reviewers for this guesthouse. It is superb clean. Floors are always swept and I felt bad sometimes dragging the dirts from the streets when coming back. Room is very spacious. Hot water is on 24 hrs (one day is not due to pwr outage which is common in India). The restaurants locates on the rooftop just as every hostel/guesthouse in India. The two guys run the front desk are helpful and sometimes can be too frank. The restaurant staff are wonderful. The one who clean my room daily are honest. I left the tip in the bathroom and he (most of the care takers in India are male gender) did not take it for fear of losing his job. I would definitely stay here if I stop in this town again. No one in this guesthouse opened their hand asking for tip as I experienced at some parts in India Ive been through.

The bus station is a short walk away but phone them the schedule of your bus and they have some rickshaws picking you up no matter your bus is late.

Regarding tips, I would say this. We often give a tip to the waiter/waitress when we dine. Even though this is guesthouse, those guys who serves us up in the rooftop would entitle the same. We don't throw our hard-earned money away but 10 or 20 rp in India would not ding your wallet or budget.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I stayed at the Sunder Palace towards the end of 2005 when it had only been opened a few months. It was excellent then, in terms of collection from the train station (only 5 mins by rickshaw), the food, the staff, the decor, the cleanliness, the garden and lastly the rooms. The room was spotless, well decored and had the facilities that you'd want. Actually the room was immaculate. I was concerned then that the prices would inflate over time but from the sounds of previous reviews, the price has been maintained as one member of the family that had run the palace told me they would be.

At the upper end of budget accomadation, if you are looking for somewhere to re-charge your batteries after a few hectic days in India, you can't go wrong with this place.

I had meant to e-mail Lonely planet previously to inform them of the Sunder Palace. I presume they know all about it now!

• Liked — The spotless immaculate rooms and genuinely friendly helpful staff.
  • Disliked — If I'm gonna be picky, no pool.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sunder Palace Guest House? Share your experiences!