“It was OK, but...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Umaid Mahal

Save Saved
You added Umaid Mahal to your Saves list
Umaid Mahal
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   C-20 / B-2 Bihari Marg | Opp. Lane of K.P. Automotives, Bani Park, Jaipur 302016, India   |
Special Price
50% off room rate
Ranked #25 of 300 hotels in Jaipur
Brasília
“It was OK, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I got a room at top floor but couldnd't have a good night. I stayed at the hotel for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) and in both the noise from the street made impossible take a good rest. Dogs barking almost all night long, people talking and laughing loudly, and sounds like if somebody had been shooting trash bins, the horns of the cars... Impossible to sleep. Ok, I can't blame the hotel for the dogs or horns, but I hadn't a good rest there.
The room and bathroom was spacious (the bathroom was refurbished, so looks new). The furniture seems to be very old, but was ok. The hotel is simple but the exotic decoration give some taste to the trip, since you really feel to be in an unusual place (for a Western traveller). The staff at the restaurant is very atentious and at night they have live music (until not too late). Internet is free (not common in India).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

1,043 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Greek first
Michigan, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

Although this is a very small hotel the decor inside was very impressive. Our party had 2 rooms on the top floor of the hotel. They were spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. Meals were available on the rooftop or in an inside dining room. The meals were very good and portions were generoud (we ended up ordering way too much food). There was a small pool available to cool off in after a hot day of sightseeing in Jaipur.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Bavaria, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

The hotel is okay and I think it is about what you can expect for the price. I didnt really like nor trust the management or the receptionists and I have the feeling that they are not particularly interested in their guests. To give an example: we had asked for a massage which is being offered through the hotel. The guy at the reception just dialled the number and then handed the phone over to me to sort it out myself. At the same time he started shouting across the hall with one of his colleagues which made it almost impossible to understand the person on the phone. Normally I guess one would expect a bit more of a service. The rooms were okay, nothing too exciting but quite clean and the bathroom was good with a great shower. The restaurant is okay for breakfast but I dont recommend it for dinner. There is no safe in the room so we would strongly recommend either hiding all valuables or to take everything with you during the day.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ranvijay, Manager at Umaid Mahal, responded to this review, February 19, 2010
Greetings from Umaid mahal Heritage hotel in Jaipur india and our hotel is rated as 3 star by expedia and our rooms amenities are

• Most rooms have private balconies, request a room with a balcony while making a reservation
• Attached European style bathrooms
• Direct cable television
• Wi-fi coverage to all rooms
• Mini Bar
• Hair Dryer
• Safe
• Running hot and cold water
• Direct dial telephone
• Study desks
This is just inform all the guest we do have room safe in all our rooms and our hotel is very safe and in a posh area of jaipur known as bani park
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

At first the hotel seemed like pleasant haven from my otherwise difficult trip in India. The check-in was smooth, the room was clean and the shower was like a waterfall. Most things were nice until I checked my credit card statement back home. The hotel had charged me twice for my stay! At check-in they claimed to be putting a hold on my credit card and somehow got me to enter my pin. Then while checking out they once again charged my card for the entire stay, so I ended up paying twice. They also charged my card in my home currency, thus the amounts that were charged appear slightly different due to varying exchange rate, making it extremely difficult to dispute the charge with my credit card issuer. An e-mail to the hotel resulted in absolutely nothing. Unfortunately from my experience this is the typical Indian way: very cunning and deceptive business practice. If you want to stay there, my advice is to pay in cash. Also watch out at the Umaid Bhawan, it is run by the same people.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Ranvijay, Manager at Umaid Mahal, responded to this review, February 17, 2010
Greetings from Umaid Mahal Hotel in Jaipur india and this is inform all guest that all reservation made on our hotel website we take credit card detials to secure the booking upfront but that is just to secure the booking we only charge the credit card at the time of check out and in the case of this review we have checked with our bank and have a valid document from the bank and the signed guest copy that the guest has only been charged once and also emailed the guest about it and requested a copy of credit card invoice which shows that he has been charged twice so awaiting guest respose .
Perth, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Umaid Mahal is a really good hotel especially for the price. The interior and exterior resemble a castle. The corner room that we had was very large, with a marble bathroom and 2 balconies. They have a great buffet breakfast on the roof top and at night there are dancers for entertainment.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Our bathroom needed a serious makeover - room was fine, everything was clean. Had some very loud pigeons waking us up in the night as they were perched in an empty AirCon space right by our room. Service was terrific, people were very helpful. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to someone else but its certainly not the nicest place we stayed (that would be hotel fifu in jaisalmer).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

We are regular travellers to Jaipur and this time we decided to try a heritage property within city.
Umaid Mahal seemed to be a nice place to stay within city. My wife is fond of Rajasthani culture with traditional items, paintings, pottery and all. So we booked two night stat in this hotel which we got for discount since they were having promotion going on.
The hotel was not as big as I thought it to be. But man, it was the place where I would love to stay again

The interiors are beautifully done, main door is so huge and beautiful. The second floor of hotel has ample space for kids to play around. The rooms were beautifully decorated and bathroom was cleanest of all in comparison to other hotels

I found all facilities in the room/bathroom be it a study table, toiletries, hair dryer. You name it and it was there

Breakfast was included in package and it was OK, if not splendid. Staff was polite and nice in behaviour
As per my understanding, it was best deal I got for the price paid. Highly recommended
Its located in Bani Park, a posh area, clean and quiet

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Umaid Mahal? Share your experiences!