“Cool spot in bini park” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Umaid Mahal

You added Umaid Mahal to your Saves list
Umaid Mahal
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   C-20 / B-2 Bihari Marg | Opp. Lane of K.P. Automotives, Bani Park, Jaipur 302016, India   |
Special Price
40% off room rate
Ranked #20 of 306 Hotels in Jaipur
London, United Kingdom
“Cool spot in bini park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Umahid mahal is an heritage style (ie not original haveli) hotel hidden in the bini park area. Lonely planet says this area of town is quieter than the old city and albeit I cannot disagree it is worth noting that the area provides limited facilities for tourists, indeed we were glad the hotel's restaurant served very good food as we could not find much else around it.

Having said that, the road where umaid mahal is located is a small road off the main one and is indeed pretty quiet. At the end of the road is an ayurveda centre (kerala ayurveda kendra), which provides very professional oil based massages, definitely a good way to end your day.

The hotel building is in excellent conditions, I was impressed by the decorations on the ceiling of our room (I cannot imagine any builder in the uk that could get to that level of precision) and also the bathroom was incredibly modern - albeit not entirely a western style bathroom - with marble on the floor and walls and a shower cabin (although I didn't particularly like the fixed shower on the wall!). Hot water is provided both for the shower and the sink and I was gladly surprised to find a functioning and powerful hair dryer.

Only negative note, our room was on the ground floor, with view on the bike parking of the hotel staff, which around 10/11 pm would boast into an half hour end-of-day chat. Nothing to complain about really as we were usually up anyway.

Other thing worth noting, the hotel does have a small swimming pool which you can also see in their photos, however it's on the lower ground, surrounded by buildings so I would not have high hopes of spending an afternoon chilling out in the sun.

A note for who wants to hire a car+driver. For our trip to rajasthan we decided to rent a car+driver as the train times didn't work well for us. I did a bit of research and eventually decided for Gajraj Travels (info@gajrajtravels.com): it had been the most responsive to my requests and the price was reasonable at ca 30k INR for 9 days, including all parking and petrol charges.

The driver that picked us up from the airport was indeed very good, albeit his English was basic he was very knowledgeable about the towns we were visiting and he always seemed to know where our next hotel would be, no matter how small a guest house we has picked.

Unfortunately he had to leave us after only a few days because of family issues, and found for us a replacement. Then the entertainment began! The new guy had no idea not only how to navigate within the towns we were visiting, but also how to go from one to the other, and he really messed up when he started asking us for money for petrol etc. In a way it was all just funny until the last day he tried to get us to pay him for the trip when the agency had been very clear we should wait for one of their representatives. I do not blame this on the agency, I suspect they were informed of the change of driver once it had happened and they couldn't do much, they were very supportive throughout the trip though, and I would still recommend them for how they handled the situation - and for how good the 1st driver was!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We got what we paid for with this hotel. The rooms were beautiful and elaborately decorated and the front door is beautiful.

The buffet was fine, but we had to repeatedly ask for tea as the staff were not particularly attentive. The staff do the bare minimum to be acceptable. One time we asked for change for a hundred rupee note and the man at reception said he didn't have change but when I asked where I could get change for a rickshaw he bothered looking and did have change. We were lucky that the cleaners were outside our room and told us that we needed to give them our key to have the room cleaned or else we wouldn't have known.

The location was good; short rickshaw drive away from most of the major sights. The train station pickup came on time. It was appreciated as five or so rickshaw drivers tried to convince us to drive with them as we got off the train.

This hotel is very good, we got what we paid for, but maybe they are growing complacent after being ranked highly on Trip Advisor.

Stuttgart, Deutschland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Hotel was clean, beautiful and well kept.

Very kind receptionist Sampath and be sure to ask for Rais (Rahiz) as your driver if you hire a taxi! He is really a down to earth and kind driver. He will show you around the place and won´t fool you.

Don´t rely on the pool, you´re not going to swim there ;)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this heritage haveli, which was very tastefully restored and spotlessly clean. It was so nice to stay in a haveli which has a lot of character right down to the beautiful brass door instead of another dull and soulless hotel. I loved that each floor had a different layout and design and there were lovely old black and white maharaja photographs. My room was very spacious and Wifi worked in my bedroom so I did not need to go the reception like a lot of other hotels. My thali served on the rooftop overlooking Jaipur was one of the tastiest I have had in India! Even with Diwali celebrations exploding all around me. My yoga session in the early morning on the roof with Yogendra was also very memorable. The staff were very friendly and courteous. Perhaps breakfast could be served on the rooftop instead of on the lower level? Would definitely return and have recommended the hotel to a friend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Jodhpur, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Had a great time during my stay 2 days back for a night. The staff was very courteous. The Ambiance, the decor everything was so very beautiful. I would love to stay there again on my next visit. The only thing I didn't like was the buffet breakfast and my advice to the next visitors to just check what is cooking in the kitchen for the buffet, or simply go for paid breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Parma, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The kind of exotic old places that Brits go crazy for, and that I have started to appreciate as an acquired taste. No more to say but I can say it again to reach the 200 min chars: The kind of exotic old places that Brits go crazy for, and that I have started to appreciate as an acquired taste. Ah, I was forgetting, I do not like very much that TA lets me write reviews only for the sites that pay their fees. During the same trip I used a taxi with driver, Anil Chhanbra, anil.tourindia@gmail.com, and I would very much like to recommend his wonderful and competent service, numerous suggestions and friendly attitude as well. I found no way of doing that, it seems that TA does not allow me unless by this subterfuge. Anyways, call Anil for your trips and stay at Umaid when in Jaipur...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Had a great time during my stay. The staff are very courteous and helpful. The decor of the room as well as the lobby area has a very royal feel to it. The hotel restaurant is very good and the staff there got us lunch even though I arrived 5 minutes to the closing time. I would definitely stay there again on my next visit.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Umaid Mahal? Share your experiences!