“Wonderful cooking classes” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 332 Jaipur B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Wonderful cooking classes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We didn't say at Snehdeep but whilst in Jaipur we knew that we wanted to do some Indian cooking classes - which are offered at the guesthouse. Snehdeep seemed like a good option as the only other courses we could find were longer ones over a period of weeks, or expensive classes run by restaurants. In contrast the classes offered here are much more affordable and give you a taste of real indian home cooking. Dr Smita who runs the classes is a highly qualified nutritionist and a fantastic cook. All the recipes used are printed in a little booklet that you can take home which was really handy. Smita can also explain to you which spices work with what - and gives you her email in case you want to get in touch for any recipes in the future. I'm sure she would be happy to tailor the course based on any specific dishes you wanted to learn to cook.
The whole family were very warm and welcoming and there was a nice rooftop area where we ate our food after the class and the guesthouse owner sat and chatted to us.
The place is quite hard to find (our rickshaw driver was driving round the block for ages before we managed to find it) so make sure you take the phone number of the guesthouse so you can call them if your driver gets stuck. In terms of distance though, its not actually too far from the center of Jaipur.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I unfortunately only stayed for 2 nights in this wonderfull family guesthouse. I booked my stay directly with Manoj, the man of the house, and he confirmed quite quickly. He immediately warned me for the auto rikshaw-scam in his mail, that they would try to take me to another hotel, and say that's it's closed or too far from the city (wich is NOT the case! It's a 15-min drive from the train station in JAIPUR). And actually, the rikshaw driver did try to do that to me (and it was a prepaid one!). He drove me around for 1,5 hour claiming that he didn't find it, I phoned up Manoj on his cell and he came to pick me up with his car. He was very mad at the driver. I arrived quite late because of that incident, but his lovely wife, who's a nutritionist and excellent cook, still made me dinner. It was the best food I'd eaten in India. You're staying in their house and they welcome you with open arms. Their children are very nice and the immediately started talking to me in very well English. They also have a super sweet dog called Jenny. Since there was no one staying in the guesthouse, they gave me a free upgrade. Really nice! The room was nice and clean.The next day I had a lovely breakfast on the porch, and talked a little bit with Manoj. He offered to take me sightseeing, for a very good price. He took me to Amber Fort and the city palace, and we had a lovely local (and cheap) lunch in the city and some good conversation in the car. On my last night I took a cooking class with his wife Dr. Smita: a great experience with a super nice lady! And by far the best food I had in India! She gives you the recipes too and I had a very nice chat with her afterwards. I was really sad to leave, I wish I could've stayed longer! I definitely recommend this guesthouse if you want a real homestay experience! Don't hesitate!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at Snehdeep Guest House for 4 nights and could not have been happier there. For me the location was perfect as it's in a quieter residential area but still not far from the Pink City. Manoj was as helpful and he is kind and I would not hesitate to recommend a long or short stay to anyone visiting Jaipur. The food was absolutely amazing!

• Stayed March 2013
Riga, Latvia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at this guest house on January 2012 for three nights and this was our first accomodation in India. All standarts of course differ from Western standarts, so don't expect the same. The owners family was very friendly and helpful, they shared their time to help us with planning our stay in Jaipur and to solve different practical things (phone card, sightseeing, charges for transportation e.t.c).
Since we stayed there in January it was quite cold during the nights, also in our room, but the owner said he will buy some heaters for the future, so hopefully it's done.
The breakfast was nice and it was served on a terrace with a nice area view.

Thanks to family for the stay! :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

There are definite pluses and minuses to this guesthouse. It's best to keep in mind that both Manoj and his wife use this as a side business. For three of my four days here, Manoj's wife and a Nepalese boy fielded my questions and concerns about the room. These included a request for toilet paper and the dribbling shower. Unfortunately, I didn't feel welcome. Instead, I felt like I was bothering her when she was already too busy.

The boy Deepak doesn't speak a word of English and also seems strapped with duties. I ended up moving to a smaller room which was supposed to have a better shower, but it didn't. Instead I adapted to the Indian style of bathing by turning on the hot water heater/geyser 15 minutes prior, filling a bucket with hot water then using a smaller bucket to wash and rinse.

Ask about extra charges for wifi (other places include it in the room tariff). The signal was strong and constant. The room itself was basic. The bed was fine and the door locks. I noticed some of the rooms have thin foam beds so look at some other rooms for the better beds.

Since this is also a family household, the gate, main doors and back door is locked once everyone is home to prevent burglaries. So if you're in the first floor room which has it's own tiny wing, keep Manoj's phone number handy (in case of emergencies or early departures).

In my opinion, Manoj is far more interested in sharing his household than his wife. He invests a lot of time with his guests, chatting and helping them where he can. Manoj proved to be a patient and hospitable host. He took several hours out of his day to show another guest and I the Water Palace which is not yet open to the public. I felt very privileged and it was a beautiful site. He is one of the eco-conservationists of the surrounding lake so will tell you all about the birds and habitat restoration.

I also mentioned my interest in buying precious gem stones and my scepticism about the trustworthiness of Jaipur jewellers. So he took me to his personal jeweller who offered reasonable prices and certificates of authenticity. I will test the quality when I return home but I felt comfortable in the shop with the sales person and made three purchases.

This place is great if you are happy to "stay as is" and don't need hot showers, TV, a phone or any extras. Keep in mind, this is not a hotel and so doesn't operate as one. Tuk-tuk prices to and from this guesthouse are around 70 rupees.

Room Tip: If you're given a room with a thin foam mattress, look at another room. There are better beds!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The place is nice and family run. There is a living room where the food are served to all the guests at the same table (nice feeling) and there is a very simple roof top area where the breakfast is served with a nice view of the sourranding area (nothing breathtaking). The people at the guesthouse are nice and keen to help, but in our personal experience we were a bit unlucky on this (see below). The décor of the place is simple and traditional. Internet works but is 100rp per day (I still don`t understand why hotels and guesthouses charge for this!).
As for our personal experience.
We arrived here directly from the airport around 9pm and had the small room reserved (the cheapest). It was the first night in Rajasthan and we were not sure what standard to expect. When there, the room was not prepared (even if we had reserved it a couple of weeks before and had called to confirm) and was not clean (the floor corners were deposits for uncollected dust/wall paint.., the toilet was ok-ish); the window couldn`t close (ok, not too bad) and the bed sheets were not that great neither. The worst point, and that make all the rest looking even worse, is that the boy that assisted us, was not yet trained (had joined the place 4 days before); for example, when he handed us the towels, he “showed” us how to use them by passing one of them vigourosly around his neck and mimiking their proper use.. When he brought us the missing bin, it was full of rubbish and smelling bad (so we left it just out of the room).. when I went out of the room first in the morning I had to avoid the poo of the dog which was scattered around the stairs, which later was cleaned by pushing it with the foot on the side of the corridor.
After this first shocks, things went better and the owner (who was not there the first night to help us) helped a lot and was nice offering to improve things.
So at the end of it, and after spending 6 weeks in Rajasthan in place much cheaper than this, if you can avoid the small room (which actually would be great if was properly arranged) it is an ok place to stay in Jaipur (assuming that we were just unlucky with the new boy), but the cleaningness standard is below average for Rajasthan (considering the same level of guesthouses).

Room Tip: Avoid the smallest room..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I can't say much about the facilities as it is on me as the budget traveler to scope for the quality of facilities beforehand but what made my stay at Snedeep Guest House was its lovely people. No hot water and a huge allergic reaction from the dust filled room was unpleasant but easily made up by the help I received from the staff. It really gives you a warm feeling to know that there are people who are in the business who don't just barely cover your needs as a guest but do more to ensure the best for your stay. Everyone was accommodating and genuinely benevolent and after traveling all around the world I can say that a well-run hostel/guesthouse comes and goes but people who leave a lasting impression are the rarest to come by. you'll get your basic accommodation needs here, nothing spectacular, but if you want to stay with lovely people to chat with who can also speak great english to help you with all types of travel tips, then this is the place for you. the local/native "charm" is something you can only experience in person if photos and videos have made this closer and this is one of the few places where you can find it

Room Tip: you will find plenty of rooms to accommodate your needs
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Snehdeep Guest House? Share your experiences!