“Now we know why the Oberoi sets the service standard...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Complimentary
Ranked #2 of 300 hotels in Jaipur
Atlanta, Georgia
“Now we know why the Oberoi sets the service standard...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Everyone agrees that if you want 5 star luxury and service in India, the Oberoi chain hotels are where you should be. These hotels are expensive considering the low cost of most things in India but I've always said (especially in India) you get what you pay for! The security and service is the best any 5 star hotel will ever provide (I also experienced this at the Oberoi in Dubai a few months back) ..Each year they get glowing reviews from all the Travel magazines and review agencies and the reviews are indeed warranted. We were greetd by one of the hotel managers and whisked away to our room after the checkin process took a matter of minutes. Eavery staff member seemed to treat us like extra special VIPs but I'm sure every guest received the exact same treatment! It's truly unbelievable how they are consistently able to do this! We stayed in the luxury tents for 2 days and the landscaping and grounds were just immaculate. The bed linens, the amenities and bath areas left no room for desire and the staff seemed to be mind readers when providing service. Peacocks roamed the grounds and the attention to detail was obvious and much appreciated after returning from our daily city excursions. The breakfast buffet was delicious and after touring the city, I couldn't imagine staying anywhere other than the Oberoi. Although expensive, we were very happy to have splurged on this hotel for our short stay in Jaipur and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Not sure how the Luxury tents compare to other rooms but they are awesome!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Anshul K, General Manager at The Oberoi Rajvilas, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Rajvilas for your stay and for a fantastic review.

I don’t have words to thank you for this feedback you have sent about your recent experience with Oberoi Hotels, and especially about the warm, intuitive, proactive and genuinely friendly yet professional service. I am so happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and were thoroughly impressed with the setting of the resort quality of accommodation and services.

Service excellence with the urge to anticipate and comply with the guest needs is what we believe in. I am thrilled to know that you got to experience the best of our hospitality.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write the review. We hope that you will plan another holiday with us soon.

578 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

As with many of the other reviews we found this hotel amazing. The grounds are just beautiful and kept so lovely. The pool was a nice quiet are when we were there, so very relaxing. Food was excellent at the pool and in the restaurant. Staff were very helpful. Rooms were excellent and very different from normal hotel rooms as they are all set out in courtyards with four rooms to each area. Would highly recommend staying here as it's a quiet spot in a busy area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Oberoi Rajvilas for your stay and a fantastic review.

I am delighted to know that every aspect of your experience was excellent. It feels so special to receive such feedback from our guests and I am overwhelmed each time by the commitment of our team to create fond memories of our guest.

Our endeavor is to be known for friendly, intuitive and personalized service and it is great to know that you were impressed with the personal touch in our service delivery.

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was my first Oberoi experience and I must admit I was completely floored. Every member of the team was prompt and a pleasure to engage with. The property is expansive and green, a huge relief from life in a metro.
Must use the sports facilities on offer such as tennis & golf.

Room Tip: Carry your costume in the summer months!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for your amazing review.

Our philosophy is to explore all opportunities to make the guests feel most comfortable and we did exactly that to ensure that you remember us fondly. The very essence of a resort is to provide a tranquil setting for the guests to relax in and we take pride in being able to offer this to our guests.
I would also want to thank you for your compliments about our services and facilities. I have shared your review with my entire team which will only motivate our 'ladies and gentlemen' to continue and strive harder to excel in providing exceptional and delicious experiences to our guests.

Service excellence with the urge to anticipate and comply with guest needs is what we believe in. I am so happy to know that you got to experience the best of our hospitality.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write the review .We hope that you will plan another holiday with us soon!

Best Regards,
west sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

A stunning property, amazing grounds beautifully maintained. The staff are wonderful and the food is excellentin all restaurants.
Our room was large with a sunken marble bath and kept inimaculate order by our housekeeping team. It was very quiet except for the beautiful peacocks who roamed free.
I would particularly reccomend the wonderfu Indian speciality restaurant, where the service and ambiance was world class.
The only slight negatives, hard bed (which housekeeping did their best to rectify) and the location which does not really allow for out of grounds exploring on foot.
However a wonderful stay and again Oberoi staff really are the best !!

Room Tip: All rooms good
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Anshul K, General Manager at The Oberoi Rajvilas, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

I understand your concern about the approach to the resort but the location of the resort is only about 8kms away from the pink city. We are now connected with the new tunnel, that takes us straight in to the city and the distance to the heart of the town from our hotel is about 20minutes only and also noted well your additional feedback.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

The Oberoi Rajvilas is a resort style complex with accommodation in large and sprawling grounds. It was a long walk from reception to our room, the last thing we needed after a long day of travelling and sightseeing. The hotel uses golf carts extensively, but not for taking arriving guests out to their rooms. They should consider offering use of the carts for arriving guests for a more relaxing start and to familiarise them with the layout of the resort.
The accommodation was good and the staff were attentive, friendly and helpful. Apart from the poor first impression trudging out to the room (the paths are rather uneven which did not help), we had no real concerns with the hotel, however some areas of the grounds were showing signs of neglect. Overall this was the poorest of the Oberoi hotels we experienced.
On the plus side, Raj Mahal,their Indian specialty restaurant (located in the grounds) was one of the best eating experiences we had at any of the Oberois.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Anshul K, General Manager at The Oberoi Rajvilas, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us on your recent visit. I take this opportunity to personally thank you for writing review for us. I am happy to know that you were impressed with accommodation settings of the resort and also with friendliness and efficiency of our team.

I feel very fortunate to be working with these incredible ladies and gentlemen who do everything in their capacity to ensure that all our guests leave with exceptional guest experiences. Your praise of my team means a lot to me and to all of us.

Please accept my sincere most apologies with regard to your first impression wherein you had to walk to your room after a long journey. Our standard is to ask all our guests if they will like to walk or take the buggy to their room, and clearly we failed to follow the same when you checked in. I have taken this upon myself to train and coach all concerned employees to ensure this standard is followed. I am again very sorry about this.

I would like to thank you for your positive feedback about our other facilities and services, especially about the Rajmahal food.

Sir, I would like to get an opportunity to speak with you and personally apologize about this. Should you have some time may I please request you to email me a date, time and a number most convenient for you at anshul.kaul@oberoihotels.com so that I can schedule it accordingly.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Summary: A lovely, expansive property. Some real positives and a place you wanted to like (as much as we did the other Oberoi hotels) but some consistent niggles created frustrations.

Pros: The Raj Mahal Restaurant was our favorite of the entire trip; wonderful food, venue and staff.

Cons: Charging for internet usage (it seems no one is listening - this is a constant gripe of many reviewers but is an Oberoi wide issue); breakfast service and general haphazard service (other than at Raj Mahal).

Its nearly exactly two years since I last wrote reviews for TripAdvisor. We recently got married and it seemed an appropriate time to write a few reviews following our honeymoon. We stayed at five Oberoi properties in India - this was the third after the Oberoi Gurgaon and Amarvilas. (We started our adventure at the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong which, along with the first two Oberoi properties, I have already reviewed.)

We had transferred from the Oberoi Amarvilas by car (arranged but he hotel). It was significant journey at around 5 hours.

We arrived and checked in and, given the long journey, wanted to get a few things done before dinner. My wife asked for the restaurant to be booked and then if they could arrange a bindi (henna tattoo) and how long this would take? We were told it would be fine and just to wait for 30 minutes. After nearly an hour we rang the spa (as we had no confirmation the bindi had been arranged) and were told the woman was coming in another 15 minutes.

This lack of follow-up unfortunately was a little prevalent. The worst offenders were the breakfast restaurant waiting staff who would have to be reminded to bring coffee, reminded again and then asked for milk, and so on... It was the same story with spoons (for cereal). Why milk and a spoon were not part of the breakfast setting I have no idea? (We were not the only guests chasing food, coffee or that thrice ordered cup of tea.)

Service around the pool was very also slow (if indeed someone was even on duty) and in the spa, the shower faucet came away in my hand and, afterwards, I was stood at reception coughing (to get attention) until someone turned up.

The restaurant, Raj Mahal, was the saving grace of this property. A beautiful outdoor setting, fires in the cool evening, excellent food and live music (and dancing). We ate there every night we stayed and enjoyed it thoroughly.

One of the waiters, Vikram, was an absolutely delightful young man and my wife and I spoke to him at length each night we were there. The restaurant manager (Nilesh) was a very endearing and interesting man and Sujata from Bhutan (one of our favorite places in the world) was also lovely.

This really was the highlight of the property and it made up for its failings.

Unfortunately there were also issues with the laundry I had done and it was folded so poorly, it all needed to be ironed (not that I had an iron).

Ordinarily, these things may not have been so frustrating, but as this was the third Oberoi property we stayed in - and given that the good service was so very good - it made the irritants all the more frustrating (and puzzling). Again, there was a delightful young man who was a security guard on the front gate - Mukesh: with a smile that really did light up his whole face. He followed us out when we went for a walk outside the property (we were told later it was not the safest part of town) and was very talkative, interested and kind.

As I've mentioned previously, the Oberoi has an eminently sensible policy of not tipping individual staff on the spot. Instead, when you check-out, you can leave a gratuity in an envelope naming the people you would like to recognise.

Overall, this is a lovely property but service was quite patchy and that impacted our enjoyment. A few little things would make a huge difference and some improvement is clearly required. We would stay here again, although Jaipur itself is not as interesting as Udaipur, but we would hope the service levels improve.

(Udaivilas and Delhi to follow.)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Anshul K, General Manager at The Oberoi Rajvilas, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for take the time to write you review about your stay.

I really appreciate the detailed feedback you have given about your experience with us. I would like to thank you for your kind appreciation of some of our team members (Vikram, Nilesh, Sujata and Mukesh) who clearly left a very positive impression on you. I have shared your generous comments with them and I can only assure you that it will motivate them, and every one of us, to strive for exceptional guest experiences only.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the service issues you had faced when you were here. I also wanted to thank you for sharing this feedback through your comment card when you left from here. I had sent you a follow up email thereafter apologizing for these lapses you had experienced and also an assurance that I will personally look into making amends through training and coaching so we don’t repeat this again in the future. I do hope that you did receive my email? I am very sorry as I should have followed up again with you about his.

I had requested for an opportunity to speak with you, so I can apologize in person. My direct email is anshul.kaul@oberoihotels.com. I will really look forward to this opportunity at a date and time most convenient for you and I will set up the call. I am very sorry once again for causing so much frustration and angst with service deliveries that should ideally should have been seamless and efficient.

I will look forward to speaking with you sometime soon. Thank you so much for mentioning that you will choose to come back here if you are ever back in Jaipur. I will ensure that you stay the next time will be perfect.

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

The property is the right combination of the luxury and great hospitality which can be experienced at any of the Oberoi properties. A perfect place to relax, rejuvenate and enjoy without the hustle bustle of most of the hotels. Located at some distance from the main city, if the agenda is to be with one self it’s the place to be else it would be advisable to have own conveyance if one wants to explore the city. Though the entire place is very luxurious, options on the food menu needs to be enhanced for better treat. Overall, a memorable experience worth recommending!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Best Regards

Been to The Oberoi Rajvilas? Share your experiences!