“Wonderful lodgings with exceptional staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sugan Niwas Palace

You added Sugan Niwas Palace to your Saves list
Sugan Niwas Palace
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vijay Path,Behind Sindhi Camp, | Bani Park, Jaipur 302006, India   |
Ranked #29 of 306 Hotels in Jaipur
Adelaide, Australia
“Wonderful lodgings with exceptional staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We did all of our bookings via the net from Australia some months prior to leaving for India, so never quite too sure what to expect as some Hotels can be very apt at displaying their property in a much better light than what they really present.

Not so Sugan Niwas. The property is beautiful and very different to the "run of the mill", and often sterile western type hotels found throughout India.

We stayed in the Maharajah Suite which was huge, a wonderfully comfortable bed and with marble stairs leading to the bathroom. The property is decorated throughout with the most beautiful fabrics and furnishings and I spent a lot of time just admiring.

The restaurant was lovely, very relaxing to sit outside in the morning sun having a late breakfast and chatting to the staff and resident cats!

The food in the restaurant was well prepared and presented and the staff and owners were so kind and thoughtful towards my husband who was not well. A doctor was summonsed and one of the staff sent out immediately for medication.

We booked an additional night due to my husband's ill health and spent that in the Villa next to the Pool, totally different to the Maharajah Suite, a little house tucked away by itself from the main Hotel complete with a veranda to sit out on and watch the Hotel's peacock.

I would recommend this Hotel to any one planning to spend time in Jaipur.

Room Tip: The Villa at the rear of the property would probably be quieter than the Maharajah suite because of...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My nephew and I stayed here for 2 nights as part of a package booked for us by Trinetra Tours. We had our own private villa next to the pool which had a quirky style which was a nice change amid the chaos you often find in India. Our villa was extremely spacious and nicely decorated. The staff was top notch in ensuring all our needs were met. Our bathroom had a separate entrance (off our porch) which was a bit odd, but did not detract from the ambiance of our room. The bathroom was a bit "aromatic" at times, but, India is anything if not aromatic at times. The only wee issue is there was a bit of an ant problem in both the bathroom and our hotel room, but since we had spent 2 weeks prior to this volunteering in an orphanage, we'd dealt with much worse creatures (and larger creatures) in our rooms than a few pesky ants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed three nights at Sugan Niwas, recommended by Trip Advisor. Loved it! The owner, Thakur Arun Singh has 40 long years of experience with the Oberoi Group and he and his son Vijay have really transformed their ancestral home into a class heritage hotel. There is a mystique about the layout - there no straight lines or corridors like a contemporary property. Steps leading to terraces, banisters and railings of the 1940s, sit outs that suddenly emerge as you climb up and walk on. I visited four double rooms, and each had a different layout and decor. Some rooms are long, like mine, some have split levels and one had a flight of steps going up to the wash room. But the decor is amazingly classy -vintage curios and decoration pieces. The lobby and the ante room are best- actually very regal!. The family’s photographs and awards are elegantly displayed in the verandah. The staff are very courteous and caring, Vijay answers the phone day or night. I took my breakfast on the porch of the restaurant and the morning sun filtering through the greenery of the garden was an awesome experience. The garden was beautiful, with statues, creepers and arches. The food is like home cooked stuff but was a tad expensive. Couldn't use the pool much to my chagrin as I was on business but it's Madagascar blue water was very tempting. Good job Arun Sahab and Vijay, your hotel is great value for money!!

Room Tip: I found all the rooms to be equally good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hyderabad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I visited Sugan Niwas Palace and had the most awesome time there. The Manager/ Owner Vijay and his father looked after us extremely well. Coming from a family of hoteliers it was but apt for them to convert their ancestral home into a lovely heritage hotel

The rooms are well laid out and the service was super. All in all we had a memorable time and were looked after with a lot of love and affection. Each morning we delved into our breakfast and were served as family members rather than normal guests. The restaurant also has a lovely assortment of Indian dishes and delicacies on offer

I would recommend this hotel to friend groups/ couples who are looking for a lovely laid back and relaxed holiday a midst the diverse and enchanting sites and sounds which Jaipur has on offer.

Room Tip: the Maharaja suite is super :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Elegance,Hospitality,luxury,affordability and Comfort...Suganiwas is a blend of all 5 qualities....I visited Jaipur along with my family....This place was highly recommended by my colleague.....I chose this hotel because it had pleased my friend who being a senior bureaurcrat is hardly Pleased with services and when i visited this place this place turned out to be exactly same.....Mr. Vijay is highly efficient....best time of my vacations were when i was in the hotel itself.....being a heritage hotel it has well preserved the legacy of Rajputana history...u can see all sorts of swords of Vijay's family who themselves have a royal lineage but are extremely warm people..(Once they told me the bus station was once their propert but government took it from them for bus station)...Its totally worth of money....With all the services they provide the tarrifs are extremely low...The moment you arrive Jaipur,they take care the rest of your tour and make it as pleasant as possible....I was reading some of the reviews,I didn't find any problem in bathrooms and in any kind of services.....Overall its a must visist place and "highly RECOMMENDED"....o yess if you are a game lover,you will find a heaven in this place as you can have PSPS on request along with countless CDs.......Dont listen to BUGGERs who are posting bad reviews,I think they havent visited this palce but just bad mouthing about it....Its a really pleasant place to stay....

Room Tip: Maharaja suite is what i'll recoomend since it offersluxury of a 5 star room but comes at very c...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Stellenbosch, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I travelled to Jaipur from Cape Town, South Africa (my first visit to India - and on my own [I'm female]) specifically to attend the 2012 Jaipur Literary Festival at the end of January (a MUST for anyone interested in literature from that region!!!!!) and stayed at Sugan Niwas Palace, which I'd found on this site, for the week of the festival. And right from the start - when I began enquiring via email about accommodation there, Vijay was heart-warmingly helpful and patient. And this continued right through to my arrival and my entire stay there. I could ask Vijay for advice about anything from banks, transport, sights to buying small supplies - and, one of my highlights there - discuss each day at the festival with him in the evenings, during which Vijay gave me insights into literature and life in India and in general (with many a philosophical wisdom sprinkled in between). Vijay's father, Mr Singh Senior, added to the warmth, especially with his stories of an older India and his inviting me to view their personal photos. What a way to learn a little more about India's history! And service was ALWAYS excellent, as was the food - yum. Family-run accommodation that made me feel safe, welcome and - well - cossetted.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Was tempted to stay in this hotel due to the positive reviews but was really disppointed with the experience. They really need to work on their cleanliness standards. Food was also not that great. Please don't get carried away just by the reviews.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sugan Niwas Palace? Share your experiences!