“Best Gujarati food” 4 of 5 stars

Karai Estate, Tardeo Road, | Opp Bhatia Hospital, Mumbai (Bombay) 400007, India
+91 22 6580 8405
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 11,007 Restaurants in Mumbai (Bombay)
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night
“Best Gujarati food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Not too fond of gujju food but this place is good. Only vegetarian with limited options but they all are worth trying.
You might have to queue up as lots wanna have a bite ;)

Visited July 2013

• Greek first
“awesome food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

amazing menu, tad expensive. super taste. all this if combined with good company makes it a memorable visit to swati snacks. .
gujuu n non gujju food are available. its neat and tidy place.
love the coconut punch and baked khichdi.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai
“Gujju home food with a twist!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Since years, I had been passing by the main road opposite Bhatia hospital wondering what made huge crowds (especially Gujjus!) wait so long to get inside a place which serves the same cuisine which they eat at home. The crowds outside Swati were always a major turnoff for me and the fact that how different this one restaurant could be from the food one would usually find in a typical Gujju Home. I mean, what was the big deal??? I found the answer last weekend…

It was an extended family dinner in the on the occasion of celebrating 2 past events - a birthday and an anniversary and Swati Snacks was decided as the venue for the same. I had my reservations (as mentioned above) plus the fact that we were to go on a Saturday evening. May be the Gods heard and when we reached Swati, the waiting time turned out to be just 5 minutes before we were ushered inside. Parking in the vicinity was a problem but thankfully, they had valet to take care of the needful.

I don’t know whether we were just plain lucky or because it was the Navratri season, but there was just not the usual rush which I was so accustomed to see at Swati. Either ways, it was good for us. The service was good and with a smile…Since I had heard so much about the traditional Gujarati food at Swati, I didn’t really bother looking at the snacks section in the menu (which comprised of south Indian snacks and Chaats!). Of course, a few others in our group did order the Dosas and the Ragda Pattice which even I found fairly good. But then, there are better places in Mumbai to have these!

Here’s a list of the stuff we had that evening (I have a decent appetite so don’t be too shocked!):
• Panki Chatni - Panki is a little corn pancake which is steamed between banana leaves. Frankly, I have never ever been a Panki fan but I think I understand why people seem to love this traditional dish so much. The uniqueness of the Swati Panki lies in its flavours, no doubt, plus the fineness with which it is spread on the banana leaves, so that when you try to remove the Panki from the leaves to eat, it comes out smoothly and melts in the mouth, just like a super thin Neer dosa! Of course, it will not even fill 25% of your tummy, even if you are a light eater and therefore certainly not worth the money. However, I must say that it is different and they are certainly capitalizing on their secret Panki recipe!
• Moong dal chilla, Dal dhokli and Dahi Misal: Well prepared. But nothing much to talk about.
• Bajri Khichu: Another traditional dish which some in our group really enjoyed while some didn’t. As for me, I’ve had better at home. However, this is dish will fill you up well.
• Khichdi Kadhi – Batata Shaak: This was the very simple and authentic Gujarati khichdi prepared in homes (disappointing for those who are used to ordering the spicy Dal khichdi which almost every restaurant serves these days!) Reminded me of the Khichdi at home. Very nice and soothing!
• Thalipith pitla: I am a huge fan of the Marathi dish Pitla-bhakri and was wondering as to how this dish had found its way to the traditional section here. Nevertheless, it was wonderful prepared. However, just one small thalipith was given along with a medium size bowl of pitla. The quantity of pitla was adequate for 2 small thalipiths (or one big thalipith). I would have preferred to finish off my pitla with thalipith instead of just finishing it off with other things!
• Dhansaak bhaat: Dhansaak is a Parsi dish but the version here certainly was nowhere close to the actual version. Tasty spicy gravy but this is not Dhansaak.
• Malaai malpuda: Now this one made me go WOW!!!!! And a big WOW that was! Fabulous Malpuda(2 small pieces) which were generously stuffed with yummy malaai. I’ll be surely going back for more of this. I loved it so much that I parceled some back home. Heaven!
• Ice-cream: The ice-creams at Swati are hand-made and certainly not for takeaways. Infact, the staff is nice enough to tell that the ice-creams will start melting in less than 10 mins and take-away is not a good idea. We had the flavor of the day which I think was Rose Coconut. Superb again!

There were some starters (whose names I don’t remember) put up as the specials of the day which were good too. It was definitely a good evening because we had had some less oily food which was tasty and fun at the same time. Not to forget it was enjoyed by kids and elders too. Food is moderately expensive as the quantities do not justify the price and you will have to eat atleast 2-3 dishes to stuff yourself properly!

However, I guess I had discovered the reason behind Swati Snack’s fan following. It’s that feeling of home away from home.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai
“Consistently Good Food !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This place never fails to serve the most amazing gujju and non - gujju dishes !!! Food is prepared very neatly, the portions are good and the dishes are mouth watering !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Swati snacks popularity is known far and wide”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Swati snacks popularity is known far and wide and one need not say much about it! Its frequented by small time celebs and also provides catering services for weddings, etc. The panki chatni is a traditional speciality here - also the think wafer crust pizzas, the chaat items, the frankies and the pao bhajis are super fabulous! Go again if you already have, go once if you haven't already

Visited March 2013