“One of the best seafood joints in the city” 4 of 5 stars

Jaihind
Senpati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai (Bombay), India
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #640 of 6,768 Restaurants in Mumbai (Bombay)
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Delivery
Mumbai
“One of the best seafood joints in the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Don't go by the look or size of this place which is hidden in the crowded streets of Pali Market. The food here is outstanding. Especially try the steamed basa. It just melts in your mouth.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mumbai
“Must taste Patrani Machchi...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Been several times here now. Whenever I go here, I don't miss out on Patrani style fish. a specialty of this restaurant. A must must try dish.

Parking is a bit problem as its a road side restaurant. Clean & nice inside though. If you want to park use parking slots under flyover against the restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
bombay
“Amazing tasty non veg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I hv been a regular at Jai hind the pali one in bandra. It's a small place without ac jst renovated with no alcohol n no reservations but they serve the most tasty non veg.amazing n nice n clean n tasty food at reasonable prices.they also do prompt home deliveries. Tasty butter chicken n garlic Naan n neeer dosa n prawn gassi n fry papad n prawn biryani n fry fish n chicken bhiryani to die for... Love it

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“sea food at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

good food without a pinch in the pocket. must try stuffed crab, tamdori surmai. love the way they serve, basis resturant but service with passion. that's what I likwd most about thia no frill resturant.

New York City, New York
“Seafood Abound with a Local Feel and Out-of-this-World Flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visited Jaihind by sheer luck in November of 2012 while travelling to Mumbai on business.

My colleague and I were planning on going to Fresh Catch because of its write-up in CNNGo (somehow it didn't make "seafood" filter for restaurants in Mumbai); however, when we got there it was closed (I presume only for the day). As we sat idly in the city cab trying to decide where to go a friendly local zipped up on his scooter - "do you need help?" After a quick discussion of our dilemma, he directed us, and more importantly our cab driver, to Jaihind.

When we walked into the restaurant, it was like the Chevy Chase, Martin Short and Steve Martin walking into the bar in the movie 'Three Amigos'. Despite our clear out-of-towner-ness, the staff was extremely helpful and attentive.

We ordered the following:

-Crab Masala
-Prawn Pulimunchi/Chilly
-Pomfret Tandoori
-Garlic Naan
-Sumai Tandoori (second "course")

I can say with confidence that the pomfret tandoori is some of the best fish I've ever had in my life. It was smokey in flavor yet buttery in consistency - a true melt-in-your mouth sensation. The prawns were tantalizing in their spicy goodness and paired beautifully with a finger-full of naan. The crab masala was quite good in flavor, but not really worth the "work" (make sure to ask for claw crackers - they came after I attacked the shells with my spoon and fork). The Sumai tandoori was also incredible - steakier than the pomfret, but the same smokey goodness from the tandoor oven. Considering it came second (we weren't full when we ordered) our full bellies were inhibiting our judgement of its high quality.

And the naan, the wonderful naan. The garlic was crunchy and brown and provided and spicy smoothness to the soft bread - I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

For all this, we paid just short of INR2000 (~$37 @ 54.6INR/$)

Few Important Items of Note: there are no washrooms (paid public restroom around the corner) - just a wash basin. Additionally, they don't have a liquor license; so don't expect to be able to cool the chilly spice with a cold Kingfisher.

Go there; take friends. Eat lots and pay little.

• Visited November 2012