“Character, Charm and Convenience in Mumbai!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel

Save Saved
You added Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel to your Saves list
Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   14 Union Park, Khar(W) | Off Carter Road, Between Olive and Out of the Blue restaurant,, Mumbai (Bombay) 400 052, India   |
Ranked #12 of 364 hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Bangalore, India
“Character, Charm and Convenience in Mumbai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

The rooms at the Le Sutra hotel are lovely with the added advantage of the fantastic location. Had a chance to stay at the ‘Gambler’s room’ and especially like the parting gift they gave (print of the painting in the room and some coasters). Nice touch! The ‘out of the blue’ restaurant serves some fantastic food as well.

They also have Sutra Onyx, 2 service apartments which is located opposite the hotel. I stay there at least every alternate month. The apartments come with 2 single and 1 twin room (all ensuite), a kitchenette, a living + dining room. At a rate cheaper than the hotel I would recommend this particularly for groups who want to hang out, or those on an official visit looking for a place to also hold meetings and discussions.

A word on the staff- Syed the manager is great and has always responded promptly to any request I’ve made. The staff at the reception- Anjali, Tanay… seem more like friends now. Always a pleasant experience staying there and definitely worth recommending to others.

Note: First time visitors please get the right directions. Most Taxi's donot know Union park and it can be a pain trying to find the place especially at night.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sampreeth, General Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Ma'am,

I can safely state that If we have ever received collective appreciation for our range of Hospitality offerings, namely, Le Sutra - The World's first Indian Art Hotel, Sutra D'Onyx- our classy apartments and Out of the Blue restaurant, all together, then THIS is the review !!

Its very heartening to note that you enjoyed your stay with us at both the hotel and service apartments as well as the touch of the little gift that we provide each guest on check-out from their respective themed rooms. The food at Out of the Blue has been our USP since quite some time and we are glad that you appreciate it too !!

I have also conveyed your special appreciation of my team members.. and I am sure they are all pumped up to provide the best service the next time you decide to stay with us as well.

With regards to your point about difficulty in finding the location, we do arm our guests with the map of the local area which has been quite effective in ensuring that they do not lose their way when out sight-seeing or shopping.

Thanking you for your glowing review and looking forward to meet you in person on your next stay with us...

154 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Myself, husband and friends stayed here for one night on our way to Goa.
The rooms are beautifully and tastefully decorated, clean and well appointed. The service was with a smile and the staff were very happy to answer any queries and talked about the themes of the rooms with knowledge and interest.
The location is great with a short walk or tuk tuk ride to local amenities/restaurants/cafes etc.
The afternoon snack was a nice touch; the biccies yummy.
It is a bit pricey but well worth it; an enjoyable stay & I wouldnt hesitate to recommend or stay again should I travel to Mumbai again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sampreeth, General Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Ma'am,

I am glad to note that you liked the services of the Hotel and we would be your preferred choice for recommendations.. or your following visits in Mumbai.

We have put in our earnest efforts to ensure that we stand out with respect to our concept, room themes, services, amenities and also the sweets / savories offered...and are pleased to find that you noticed and praised the same.

Looking forward to meet you on your next stay with us..

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night on 11th October 2012, before our flight back to the UK. We had booked the 'celebrations package' which included airport pick-up and drop-off, bottle of bubbly and a half day trip around the city. This was perfect for our last day in India.
We were taken to our room, and it really had the WOW factor. The decor was gorgeous and the attention to detail was 2nd to none. We were given a welcome drink and snack. The staff were extremely professional and helpful and the manager went out of his way to explain the theme of our room, the history behind it etc.
Refreshments were brought to our room a little later which was a pleasant treat. On our departure, we were given a print of a painting as a gift. Nice touch.
The only issue we had (and I hasten to add this was nothing to do with the Hotel) was in the restaurant Out of the Blue. While the food was delicious and plentiful, the prices quoted on the menu are not as they seem. There were 3 types of taxes added to the bill, which really hiked up the cost of our food. Be aware of this.
Very enjoyable stay and thanks for the staff.
KatandLeeWilson, Scotland

Room Tip: We stayed in Ashoka room, however, all the rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sampreeth, General Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Ma'am,

We appreciate your glowing comments about the Hotel...coming from a frequent traveler and a senior reviewer from TripAdvisor..your heartfelt thoughts make it even more special !!!

We tried to ensure that the "Celebrations Package" conjured by us would be rated a success by all the guests experiencing it !! From airport transfers, the welcome drink, the special snacks tray, the sight-seeing trip to the memorabilia on departure.. everything is thoughtfully planned and executed. I am indeed glad that you liked the same and appreciate the homely services provided by the Le Sutra team as well.

With respect to the taxes prevailing on the Restaurant bill, the VAT ( Value added tax ) and Service tax are government imposed which we do agree are on the higher side. The third charge is the service charge which most restaurants in Mumbai collect as a standard norm. I apologize if you found it exorbitant.

We have got more choices of special offers/ packages uploaded now... Hope to have you select one of the other packages to experience on your next stay with us....

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Le Sutra is a hidden gem, ocated in the trendy suburb of Bandra away from the hustle and bustle of of central Mumbai. It's a small hotel - rooms are beautifully decorated and furnished with all the amenities you'd want. Staff are great - very kind and helpful - they organised out taxis, restaurant reservations etc. The spa is also fantastic - had a wonderful massage which was a great start to the holiday. Can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sampreeth, General Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Ma'am,

Le Sutra is a gem only in the eyes of real connoisseurs of boutique hospitality...like you !!

We appreciate the fact that you liked the location of the hotel and the helpful service proffered by the Le Sutra Reception team. I have also conveyed your applauding the spa services to the masseuses and they were glad to hear the same.

Looking forward to meet you in person, on your next stay with us...

london england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Going by the gushing reviews posted here i wonder if i stayed in the same hotel. There is nothing lacking in the hotel or location but i never experienced any of the so-called wonderful hospitality. Never met the manager. Front desk staff usually on the phone or chatting when i walked past; I had to say 'hello' first. Staff's advice was to take autorickshaws everywhere when i worked out it was perfectly acceptable to walk to station/shops/sights. When i requested a taxi on checkout, I had to go out of the hotel and hail it down myself. Staff at breakfast had weak English language skills.

Due to its location at front-side of the hotel, Room 208 is noisy and dusty (did not mind) but smelt nice. Room not 'turned down' evening of 10th Sept (did not bother to report this). Gave up trying to work TV system after day one. It's dimly lit 'Hudson Hotel' Manhatten-style. Hence it is difficult to read despite nightlights.

As a regular Taj Mahal Palace Club Old Wing regular, I accept I am spoilt but this was a non-descript hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

As you correctly pointed out, its the service proffered by the team which makes / breaks the perfect hospitality experience. ( I even read through your previously posted reviews about the Taj Mahal hotel to gauge your thought process ).

There cannot be any plausible explanation for the articulate points you have enlisted.... namely, staff not being attentive to your presence, service personnel not being communicative, turn-down service not provided on the particular day and me missing interacting with you during the course of your stay.... so kindly accept my heartfelt apology for the same. ( I have been trying to reach you on the number mentioned on your business card but have failed to get through ).

It would be only fair to assume on your part that this is the level of service which can be associated with us... However, I assure you that this is not the case and you shall visibly note the difference on your next stay with us. Looking forward to meet you in person...

Bangalore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Le Sutra is a little treasure bang in the middle of Mumbai. What draws you in almost immediately is the rooms- every room is unique with an Indian theme based design; and yet with all the necessities of a hotel room. Hence, you want to keep coming back to experience every room- I've done the Kathak, the Yoga room and the music (forget the name) so far. There are little treasures that the staff has thoughtfully put in place- sweets on the bed, and surprise! a room themed gift when you leave. Lovely.

My stay at Le Sutra would have been just a stay in another great hotel, but an extraordinary event turned it into a home away from home...I'd left my laptop behind in Bombay, and discovered it only on reaching Bangalore. I assumed that it had been left in the hotel room and called frantically to get it back. The general manager Sampreeth Kotian was most helpful, searching for it in the room and then viewing 8-10 hours of cc tv footage to figure out if anyone had taken it when I was not in the room.

Much later I recalled that it had been actually left in the airport instead, and called Sampreeth to inform him and apologise for all the needless search I put the hotel through. To my surprise, rather than just accept the apology, he jumped into further action way beyond the call of duty. He connected up with airport personnel, traced my laptop and helped me find a way to get it back home- all this through the wee hours of the night. Stuck in Bangalore with the laptop in Mumbai, having a local there who could actually sort things out on my behalf, and continuously reassure me and calm me down, was a godsend. What's more important is that he had absolutely no responsibility to do this- it was completely out of bounds of the hotel duty. And yet his ready help and kindness was solely responsible for my peace of mind in tracing the laptop. Outstanding hospitality in the most extreme of circumstances.

I will always, but always stay in Le Sutra on any future business trips. For both the captivating and interesting rooms and the world's best hospitality.

It is also value for money in terms of the room rate. It is not often that you get a room at that rate in the centre of town. The walkway along the beach is barely 100 metres away for a bracing morning walk/ run. And Bandra is just the place to be to experience Bombay's throbbing night life. So Le Sutra works fabulously for all kind of travellers looking for the right place to stay in Bombay.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet- ask to try a new room every time, for each room brings a unique experience.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sampreeth, General Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Ma'am,

I was indeed privileged to interact with you during your stay with us at Le Sutra and later during the "hunt" for your "mysteriously disappeared" laptop. I am glad that we finally could manage to trace it and it reached your hands "safe and sound". However, what you have termed as beyond the bounds of duty on my part is something that we as hoteliers feel is an integral part of our work culture.

Its pleasing to note that you found the different room themes curiously appealing... the music room that you couldn't recollect is the Taal room. Your appreciation for every aspect of the organization.. be it the accessibility to nearby night life, proximity to the sea-facing promenade, pricing, service, theme based rooms, carefully thought sweets/goodies or the parting gift.. gives us all the more reason to feel assured.

Looking forward to meet you again, when you visit us ( hopefully your business trips will drive you back to Mumbai very soon ).

Ghaziabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I absolutely love the location of the hotel. Comfortable stay and very prompt service. I was so impressed by the idea of theme based rooms and each one of them so tastefully done! I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Mumbai specially if you're travelling alone. The staff is very courteous and the hotel even though its small, its well maintained.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sampreeth, General Manager at Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking out time from your busy schedule to post a review for us.

The location has always earned us brownie points because its so close to the promenade, shopping areas, local areas of interest and yet so calm and serene. I am glad to note that you have mentioned Le Sutra as a safe place to stay, particularly if you are staying alone. Coming from a lady, this underlines the courtesy proffered by the team members and the secure feeling which envelopes singe lady travelers when they stay with us. No wonder 35% of our clientele consists of single lady travelers at Le Sutra !!

I also noted in our records that you visited us twice already in the last month. Looking forward to meet you in person on your next visit.

Sampreeth Kotian.

Been to Le Sutra - The Indian Art Hotel? Share your experiences!