“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Strand Hotel to your Saves list
Strand Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.J. Ramchandai Marg, Mumbai (Bombay) 400001, India   |
Ranked #267 of 364 hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Arrived only to be told the price of the room had gone up.opted for a single at RS3525-small,dirty unclean room.i agree with other comments on the reception staff,it was either like it or lump it.the door staff continually trying to open doors or take luggage to your room.I actually had to wrestle my bag away from them.On the whole a terrible experience.God,you can get a Premier Inn in the Uk for £19

• Stayed January 2013

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Nelson, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Very mediocre. We stayed 2 nights and moved 3 times. Staff sorted out our rail tickets - for an extra 1000 rupees per ticket. Wifi intermittent and only in reception area. Staff talk loudly at night and there's an annoying bell each time one of them goes in and out of the kitchen.you could probably get room cheaper by booking on Internet. We paid 4300 a night. Would have been ok at half this rate given it's Mumbai and its location.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms over kitchen and at front of hotel. Although at back you get staff talking loud...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Northern Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

we decided to stay in Mumbai for a couple of days after travelling from Dublin and thought as we were going to stay in cheaper accommodation in Goa, we would spend alot more and stay in this hotel. it cost as much to stay here for 3 days as it would to stay in a beach hut in Goa for 10 days.
It was disgusting. The room was dinghy and smelled not good. The sheets were not very clean, There was fungus growing in 3 or 4 different places in the bathroom. There were pigeon feathers in the bathroom.
In the 'dining room' the place mats were filfthy.
I would recommend this to anyone that has a spare £45 and would like a night of degradation .
NOT GOOD AT ALL.
The plus side is its location

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

I am a solo traveler and I booked the hotel on line. It was the most horrible experience. Rooms are filthy I asked them to change the room the other one was the same. They explained me that they did not have much solo travellers so the rooms are not used much! That night the lift was broken and it played the same song yes it plays a song , desperado, if i am not wrong over and over again. Although I was so tired arrived India early in the morning I did not sleep at all because of the filth and sound. Do yourself a favour do not stay there!!! Location is excellent but for me it did not worth. If you really had to stay there make sure that you see the rooms before staying there.

• Stayed February 2012
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

I arrived in Mumbai without a reservation and headed for Colaba expecting to find plenty of budget options. Bad move.

There are very few places below 1000R But quite a lot in the +4000R category. So after an extensive search the 2 cheapest options I could find were a dorm bed or The Strand at 3500R (apx) a night. It was dark, getting late and I was tired. I took the latter even though it's way more than I would normally be willing to pay when travelling in a 3rd world country.

The room was 'ok'. No better than the one a had in Jaipur which cost 950R. Furnishings were old and worn. Was quite well kitted out though with a/c, fridge, tv, phone, writing desk etc. Bathroom quite nice with throne style toilet, good hot shower, sink leaked on the floor.

Hallways were also old and worn.

WiFi is only available in reception (seriously? at this price?)

Reception staff were a miserable bunch. When I walked in the following morning about to say good morning not one of the 3 looked up. Kid who brought me a coke to my room was the only friendly one.

Needless to say I checked out and found something that was not a total rip off. I know this place is in a prime location but for over 3500R I expect more. You would get better value for money in many European destinations.

If you want a quality hotel and don't mind paying for the privilege The Strand in NOT what you're looking for.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012 via mobile

We stayed 1 day at this hotel. The room was big and clean enough. The service is terrible.
1) the boy went to buy a bottle of beer, so we payed. After we get the bottle of beer, the boy came back saying the money we gave is ripped so he wants to us to change. The money we had was from outside of India, all of the money was good condition. We asked him to leave te room, he kept saying 'manager asked'
2) the reception did not know how to get to the CST station or CST station to the domestic airport. They kept saying use a hotel taxi. We figured it out from the travel book to go to the airport.

No hot water as well. There are many better qualities hotel around this area. Just don't chose this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
sunshine_183
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

The Strand is an OK place to stay if you want to see mumbai and have a base. It is on the same road as the Taj Palace so the location is great. The Gateway of India is about 3 mins walk up the road. The Strand itself is a little worn to be honest. It could do with a lick of paint in the rooms and the shower in my room which was room 209 could do with a new shower cap. I had no issue using the actual tap for my wash but if there is a shower available, why would you need to? Anyhow, for the location/price the strand is as said ok. It did me for 3 nights in Mumbai where I was out majority of the day.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!