“Dream hotel at the Maximum City” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nariman Point, Mumbai (Bombay) 400021, India   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Complimentary Upgrade
Ranked #4 of 364 hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Seoul, South Korea
“Dream hotel at the Maximum City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Undoubtably, the elegance of the Trident at Nariman Point is very bold. Step into the hotel's large and luxurious lobby that overlooks the Arabian Sea, while the pianist plays the classic pop songs under the soothing evening lighting.

Though the property has got itself an excellent and modern infrastructure that surely is capable, my stay unfortunately wasn't as remarkable as it could have been. Though I am not entirely certain of the reason why, I believe that more upgraded service hospitality that parallels the wonderful hotel would very well inscribe a more memorable impression to the guests.

The hotel, by itself, is almost flawless. The five high-speed elevators took me to my room at the 30th floor in seconds, and across the inviting and warm corridor with warmly greeting housekeeping, the excellent room awaited.

A spacious room overlooking the city, a decent view even enjoyable while taking a warm bath in the bathtub, thanks to the transparent bathroom window (which of course, could be curtained down by the button). The city view category rooms face backwards towards the city. Though you can manage to get a slight glimpse at the Taj Mahal Palace, the Gateway of India is unfortunately blocked by the many obstacles in front and is not visible from room.

The central air conditioning worked perfectly well without any noise, the working desk was big enough with a convenient charging station adjacent to it.

The television was big enough, with a decent number of channels on it though I was a little disappointed by the lack of basic ones like Vh1 and History Channel. The secondary television speaker in the bathroom is a nice addition as well.

Surprisingly enough, the bed was quite harder than what I had expected, though it still is very comfortable. However, I did experience some itchiness on my legs frequently which made my sleep quite uncomfortable. Also, reading one review on TripAdvisor in which a guest posted a snap of a bedside table with a cockroach crawling on it didn't help much either.

The renovations at the Trident is a visual success, with new and modern furnitures ergonomically designed and neatly arranged to give the room more spacious look. The cleanliness was flawless, and the room, its furnitures and the bathroom were cleaned perfectly. They sure impressed me as they passed my "finger-dust-test" on even the farthest corners.

The bathtub, however, was an unexpected disappointment. As I filled the tub for the first time, it soon became a bubble bath, assumedly due to a heavy usage of the cleansing chemicals by the housekeeping.

The hotel's location is just superb, as it made my commute to the NCPA theaters just a minute's walk away.

Drop by at the swimming pool, which is really nice. It overlooks the queen necklace of Mumbai, has a small children's play area and a cozy garden-like arrangement with a little walking track. Below the pool level is a sauna, gym and spa which all are nice amenities to make the stay more relaxing in this business district.

One of my complaints is the pricing of the Internet connectivity. As agreed by every other people who stayed at the Trident, the rates are just ridiculously high. With such high prices, I would expect a buffer-free lightning speed, which isn't the case either.

But more so than the Internet, the biggest frustration of my stay was the food.

I ordered a full-course meal on room service, which included a soup, chicken curry, Indian breads, a vegetable mixed fried rice and a beverage.
I soon discovered it to be a big mistake.

The asparagus soup was just a "meh" average soup. The restaurant got my order wrong and instead of the vegetable mixed fried rice, served me a plain steamed rice. The garlic naans arrived cold and stone stiff, which tasted like rubbers. The "garlic" seems to be only a visual reference, as they didn't taste anything of garlic at all. The lassi was a white mixture of concrete, making drinking it out of straw seeming like a concrete suction. It made even McDonald's milkshakes seem silky smooth.
The chicken curry was the worst part. When a restaurant puts a "T - signature dish" sign beside a title on a menu, it means that it bets its brand name on the excellence of that particular item. Did the curry live up to the Trident brand, is questionable. Being a very popular and common dish that is served on every restaurant in India, I expected Trident's to differentiate the others on uniqueness. Well, it was far worse. It arrived cold, lacked any flavor and was just simply bad.

As I made the call to clear the food trolley, the staff just brushed in and out of my room clearing the trolley, without even caring to ask about the food I just had.

The breakfast was of a disappointing quality as well. The variety was only good by numbers, there was hardly any good food to choose from, and the famous bread spread wasn't exceptionally good as hyped.

What was irritating more than the horrible food, is the service. The staffs rushed to empty the stacks as soon as the breakfast timings were over, even the restaurant tables were half occupied. It was an obscene sight in which one staff was busy taking off all the tongs that he completely ignored the line of guests behind him waiting to pick up the food. I then saw them eventually picking up the pieces with their fingers.

The F&B should never be ignored in a hospitality industry. Judging from other food related reviews of the hotel, Trident appears to be looking down upon the quality and standards of its F&B. What makes, or breaks, the reputation and leaving remark and impression of a hotel during a guest's stay is the dining experience.

Amidst the tarnished reputation since the terrorist attacks and a tough to beat competition with the famous and iconic Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, my stay at the Trident wasn't as a remarkable experience as I have hoped it to be. However, I hope that my willingness to return to the hotel for my next visits to Mumbai surprise me otherwise.

Room Tip: Even the 'city view' rooms offer a little view of the sea over the horizon, if located on a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Trident_NarimanPoint, General Manager at Trident, Nariman Point, responded to this review, November 10, 2012

Greetings from Trident, Nariman Point!

Thank you very much for posting your reviews about your experience at Trident, Nariman Point.

I was most concerned to learn about your dissatisfaction with the service during your stay with us. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you. Your feedback on the Food and Beverage has been shared with the team. I apologise that we were not able to live up to the standards that we aspire to achieve and let me assure you that your feedback has been shared with the Frangipani team and the Room Service.

I have personally shared your disappointment with the concerned team members and I take full responsibility and ownership for the lapse in our service and assure you that greater care will be taken to avoid such incidents in the future.

Do let me know when you are travelling next and I will be happy to make the necessary arrangements.

We look forward to welcoming you back and we shall spare no effort to ensure that Trident, Nariman Point continues to be your “Home” when you are in Mumbai.

1,306 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel is superb - and amongst the very best that I have ever stayed in around the world. Public areas are stylish and with a range of restaurants and bars and seating areas. Rooms are very comfortable and well equipped. Service is quite outstanding - highly professional, helpful, efficient and friendly, without being in any way over-attentive or ingratiating. The staff, without exception, gave the impression that they really cared about their customers. We felt that we were saying goodbye to friends when we left after our short stay!
The hotel spa offers hair and beauty services that are of a high standard.
Finally, the location is very good, close to cricket grounds, sea front and some local shops. It's lovely to take a walk from the hotel down marine drive in the evening.
I recommend this hotel very highly indeed and have every intention of choosing it again next time I visit mumbai.

Room Tip: If you can, opt for a club room. The club lounge has superb views over the bay and the sunsets are s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Trident_NarimanPoint, General Manager at Trident, Nariman Point, responded to this review, November 7, 2012

Greetings from Trident, Nariman Point!

It is heartening to know that that you enjoyed your stay with us and the services and facilities extended by my team during your visit to the hotel exceeded your expectations. Please be assured that the team will continue to strive hard to achieve customer satisfaction to the fullest and endeavor to pursue quality with vigour and commitment.

I thank you immensely for recommending Trident hotel and for your generous comments. We look forward to welcoming you back at Trident, Nariman Point.

Vizag
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed twice in the hotel in Nov and I was truly impressed by the level of service they have maintained. The first thing that strikes u is the warmth and smile on the faces of every staff n they treat you as part of there very own family....its like they portray the very finest of Indian values n the energy of mumbai. They really care for their guests n its evident everywhere. I happened to checkout n checkin again aftef a gap of 2 days n had kept my bulky suitecase with the cloakroom here...n had forgoten to lock it..with my laptop n other stuff....i realised it on checking in later n not only was my suitcase intact....bt they even found my keys i had forgotten all about...so..kudos fr Trident n my heartfelt thanks to a honest n wonderfull staff..... n yes the stay n rooms are jus great n worthy of everypenny...i esp like the gym n pool n the super breakfast ar Firangipani....the spa looked wellcoming bt i couldnt find the time :-(..... any ways ...dont have to think twice here.....i don think one can get a better deal than this...

• Stayed November 2012
Trident_NarimanPoint, General Manager at Trident, Nariman Point, responded to this review, November 5, 2012

Greetings from Trident Nariman Point!

Thank you for choosing Trident Nariman Point during your stay Mumbai and for taking the time to share your feedback.

It is indeed heartening to know that the team at Trident has exceeded your expectation in every way. Your generous compliments have been passed onto my team. We thank you for your kind words of appreciation. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, which helps us to continuously strive for excellence.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Trident Nariman Point.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have stayed numerous times at this hotel both for business and with the family; I always choose Trident Sea facing Club room. Club lounge on 28th floor is a perfect place to relax after a busy day; service staff is excellent. This is a big hotel and therefore sometimes service level appears to be a bit more superficial - I am sure more can be done to personalize it.

Overall this is my preferred place to stay in Mumbai.

Room Tip: Sea facing Trident club rooms away from elevators.

Greetings from Trident Nariman Point!

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and that services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. The team at the Trident Club floor is pleased to know that they were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

Your feedback on the service is appreciated and I have personally shared the same with my team.

We value your patronage and look forward to your continued visits and take this opportunity to assure you of our best attention and service at all times.

Gurgaon, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

It’s sad when one has a bad experience at a property that has exceptional staff and service. I stayed at the Trident Nariman point for two days, and other than the breakfast spread and the welcome staff nothing was as exemplary as expected.

The breakfast was great on Day 1, on the second day that too was a tad disappointing since it was served in an alternative area.

But the most unnerving experience was at the reception. I checked in around 8pm after receiving at least 4 confirmatory calls from the hotel on my reservation. On check in, was told that I was sharing a room with another individual who I had no clue of! On clarifying they finally checked the details again and confirmed that there was an error. Anyhow I was assigned a room and specifically told that I was being upgraded to a “harbor facing room”.

I reached my room and realized that it was inter connected. So I called back requesting the room be changed.

I was told, “You booked a Superior room, we upgraded you to a harbor facing renovated room ...so there is really no possibility of a change”. I told them I did not want the upgrade and totally ok with a non renovated room to which the gentleman said “Maam, don’t worry no one has the keys except us”!

At that point did not know whether I should chuckle or check out. Anyhow that led to 2 sleepless nights ….

At the time of check out, was asked to give feedback. The manager was extremely apologetic and did promise to take care the next time. Though I truly appreciate the gesture and the spirit, do believe that the stay did leave a bad taste.

Room Tip: The harbor facing room has a near building view...Interconnected rooms far too noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Trident_NarimanPoint, General Manager at Trident, Nariman Point, responded to this review, November 2, 2012

Sanju.soni@tridenthotels.com
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently stayed two nights at a premier room at the Trident. The room was spacious, clean,
there were a multitude of foreign TV channels. Internet connection was fast but a bit pricey.
Very good breakfast, but due to too many guests in the two restaurants it feels a bit hectic.
I can highly recommend the Triden Nariman Point for stays in Mumbai.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view over the see, as the view at night is stunning !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Trident_NarimanPoint, General Manager at Trident, Nariman Point, responded to this review, October 29, 2012

Greetings from Trident Nariman Point!

Thank you for posting your reviews about your stay on Trip advisor.

I am pleased to note that you had a memorable stay at Trident Nariman Point. Your feedback on the internet price has been noted. Your feedback is most valuable to us and we appreciate the same.

I once again thank you for recommending Trident Nariman Point and look forward to welcoming you back.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Oberoi or trident as you may like to call it has the most inspiring views you can ever have. located in south mumbai, its a location to die for. spend 2 days post marriage and it just had everything you would wish for. Got a very good upgrade to maybe 24th floor with a full sea view and a great room with very good shower facility. staff waas cordial and kind and had ensured we were well taken care. though electronics in the room can be something to look in. radio or ipod speakers didnt work. however i did not complain due to the nice acceptance and swift reply from the hotel.

all in all a great expereince.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Trident_NarimanPoint, General Manager at Trident, Nariman Point, responded to this review, November 22, 2012

Greetings from Trident, Nariman Point!

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and that services rendered by my team were to your satisfaction. Your feedback on the electronics has been note and we thank you for your feedback, which will definitely help us in improving our service.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you, awaiting a comfortable and invigorating experience every time you visit the hotel.

E-mail: sanju.soni@tridenthotels.com

Been to Trident, Nariman Point? Share your experiences!