“Hardly a Palace... but you feel wealthy enough” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Suba Palace

You added Hotel Suba Palace to your Saves list
Hotel Suba Palace
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Near Gateway of India | Near Gateway of India, Mumbai (Bombay) 400039, India   |
Ranked #97 of 389 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Los Angeles, California
“Hardly a Palace... but you feel wealthy enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were early for our room reservation, but we patiently sat and waited for one to be available. I will always remember crashing the moment I hit the bed, and had the mother of all 20-minute power naps before I got up to seize my one day in Mumbai. Breakfast was a very continental buffet. But really, I spent the next 8 hours out of the hotel. When we returned, we had a very good Indian meal with great Indian service that promptly hustles and caters to your needs. We retired to a fairly decent room that is neat and clean (if unsexy), five floors up. We overlooked the view of the traffic jams of Mumbai from the fifth floor -- I'm glad the soundproof windows kept the noise out. What's most important to know is that "Suba" is closer to the airport than it is to tourist sites and shopping plazas on the other side of town which is a legitimate drive away. But if you need to be close to the airport, you won't do much better.

Room Tip: To see the whole crazy city of Mumbai, the higher up the better... not unless you have vertigo.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 4 day trip to Mumbai. The price was steep for India, but the standard and quality of the room and the service is equivalent to what you get for the same price in the UK. It was the perfect soft landing for a 3 week tour of the country. The location couldn't be better for touristy Colaba, with plenty of nice restaurants nearby, and of course the Gateway of India at the bottom of the road. Clean, comfortable, nice staff, good breakfast, all mod-cons, and great location. Even the transfer from the airport was better than elsewhere on our trip. I would definitely stay here again if coming to Mumbai.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

i call this hotel as a room near gateway of India as its very convinent place to stay in the main central hub of Mumbai where all the offices and work stations are near by. This hotel is a budget hotel with a good choice of food options at its bars and restaurants. They have really good room service as i ordered everything at my room itself instead of going it to a restaurant. I definitely recommend this palace hotel a good choice and a budget hotel near gateway of india colaba area.

Room Tip: chose a normal room - executive class
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Again, I relied on TripAdvisor on my choice of accommodation, and I was not let down. Thank you, reviewers!
Hotel Suba Palace is located smack in the middle of the tourist area of Colaba. We had arranged for an airport transfer and was driven by the friendliest driver ever. He not only guided us with stories through Mumbai as he drove but also gave us tiny bits of trivia about certain places as he drove past them. Nice!
All the staff were helpful and they greeted us warmly when we arrived. A great experience from the start, I especially like the quaint-looking elevator. Our 3rd floor room facing the street-front provided us with a glimpse on the street happenings below. Head up to the rooftop for an unobstructed view of the surrounding areas. It makes for great photo-taking. Complimentary WiFi is available for each device you have, but my one issue was that depending on where you are in the room, the connection strength varies. I found myself surfing the Internet standing by the window as it provided the best connection.
The Gateway of India and the Taj Mahal Hotel is merely a stone's throw away. If trawling the pavements for the best bargains are your thing, Colaba Causeway is another street away and is pretty much like Bangkok's Patpong, but please settle on the right price before purchasing from any of the stalls.
I will recommend Hotel Suba Palace not only for its location, but also for its hospitality!

• Stayed May 2013
edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel has the perfect location for a short trip to Mumbai, it is a 2 min walk to India gate in Colaba and also very close to the famous Leopold's cafe.

The staff all very helpful and it was free wifi (not the best but worked if you stood at the window)

The food was ok, but there are so many great places near by you will not really be looking to eat in the hotel.

It is about 1 hour 20 mins from the airport.

As an affordable hotel with a great location i would recommend the Suba Palace.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

First the good points : the location is excellent being close to the Gateway and Collaba. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was kept clean by the housekeeper.
However we expected more from this hotel having been booked here by our travel agent and they had booked us into some excellent 4 and 5 star hotels in other cities. The room was small and we had asked for a double so they just pushed the twin beds together. There wasn't much room in the bathroom, breakfast was of the standard you would get in a mid-range American motel (in fact I believe it is part of the Comfort Inn group) - not very much of it palatable for Westerners, pre-cooked omelettes were our daily diet!
To be quite truthful this is not a hotel I would recommend for westerners as my wife, during the four days here, felt very uncomfortable dressed in western clothes.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Location ideal for Gateway to India and OK for British-influenced Mumbai (VT, Cathedral, PoW Museum etc). The rooms are well-appointed with en-suite shower room; good air-con; iffy free WIFI; and cable TV. Also a reasonably priced (but non-alcoholic) mini-bar (e.g. small can of Coke for 50p). Best of all, breakfast included well-cooked omelettes.
One word of warning. I asked about tours and was directed to the hotel's driver (he actually works for an associated company). He sold me a personal tour of 3 hours for 1300 Rupees. He actually delivered a 2 hours tour (which didn't include most of British-influenced Mumbai - Cathedral, PoW Museum, High Court etc) and ignored my request to visit the glass & steel towers in the CBD. He also demanded that I pay road tolls. Despite all this he was shocked when I refused to give him a tip!! No service, no tip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Suba Palace? Share your experiences!