“THIS PLACE ALONG WITH THE TAJ MAHAL ARE AWESOME!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   90 Cuffe Parade, Mumbai (Bombay) 400050, India   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Festive Value Offer!
Ranked #15 of 389 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
San Francisco
“THIS PLACE ALONG WITH THE TAJ MAHAL ARE AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

This place lives up to it's name. Had excellent restaurants , nice bar , great staff. Although security was top , the hostel was very relaxing and nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city . Allthough expensive...well worth the break! Check out the excellent thai restaurant there!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Located in the commercial area of Mumbai this hotel is part of the Taj hotels.
Hospitality is there as in other Taj hotels in India.
Staff is very welcome friendly and helpful.
The decor of the room was very good and it was of a reasonable size.
The hotel is conveniently located for relatively close the Gateway of India and business
area.
Used only the breakfast in the hotel witch was of a very high quality.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Claremont, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

Here were the good things:

1. Hallways had a nice boutique feel and smell.
2. 3 upscale restaurants on the Lobby floor
3. Pool, spa, and gym.
4. Rooms were well appointed with a multitude of gadgets.
5. Great view of Arabian Sea
6. Efficient service
7. The Thai restaurant was very good.
8. Sony surround sound and ceiling mounted surround speakers in room

Here were the things that disappointed:

1. Had to have my sheets/towels re-washed as some perfumes make me itch furiously after direct contact. This hotel was a rare hotel that uses detergent with these perfumes. I requested this and a nice hand written note was left on the bed alerting me that my linens had been re-washed TWICE (nice touch) and dried and that the beds had been dressed with them. But no mention of the towels. So i called housekeeping to ensure this was done. The towels make me break out the most. No one understood me so they sent the housekeeping supervisor to my room. He said that the towels were washed -- along with my linens, even though they weren't mentioned on the card. Well....they weren't. And i used them. And i broke out and itched and scratched profusely after showering, just like the day before. i was NOT a happy camper. It's OK to just say, "I don't know, but i'll ask" or "I'm not sure so I will wash another batch and supply them for you." Ugh.

2. Konkan Cafe was NOT good. Expensive and easily the worst meal i had in Mumbai. The manager and chef were very nice but they just couldn't fix the watery curries and the nasty taste.

3. i was booked in a Queen size bed and when i checked in all they had were 2 SINGLE beds. i really don't like this as i'm a 6'2" guy...and...well....i booked and paid for a queen size bed in my room. They said they had upgraded me to a better room because of their mistake. i let them know i had the tripadvisor upgrade coupon already, so that didn't really help me. Unless they wanted to upgrade me another higher level. They did not want to do that. I had no choice but to accept the room. Not cool.

4. The room has a very musty smell, as another reviewer mentioned. Another hotel I stayed at by the Arabian Sea had the same musty smell, so I don't think it can be helped.

5. The rooms were very small. The smallest I've stayed in within Mumbai, easily. This was my 4th hotel in Mumbai.

6. The lobby wasn't much of anything.

7. The front desk staff seemed apathetic.

8. The business center cost a good sum of money to use and you were charged by the 1/2 hour.

Bottom line: the rooms had a nice boutique feel to it and great surround sound. Loved the light and sound gadgets in the room. Stone floor in walkway and bathroom were nice too. However, overall, this hotel falls below the other hotels I have stayed at in Mumbai. The other hotels, in order from best to good are:

1. Oberoi
2. Intercontinental (Marine Drive)
3. Renaissance (Powai Lake)
4. Vivanta by Taj

I would give it a 4.5 star rating.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

I stayed here for a week and absolutely loved it. Breakfast buffet was the best I've ever had. The room had a nice flatscreen tv, DVD player and surround sound speakers. Service was exceptional.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

The Hotel is an old property situated in Cuffe Parade, a mostly residential upmarket locality.

The Hotel was a choice with a lot of reluctance and was actually a last option,as it was a long distance away from my business location at Bandra-Kurla Complex. This property should be convenient for business travellers who have business at Nariman Point.

The standard room which I booked was small and congested and so was the bathroom with just enough space to move around.

But I was pleased by the hotel staff as they were extremely courteous and the warmth of the hospitality was felt all through my stay in the Hotel.

Personally, if the location were'nt an issue, would have been a preferred hotel, especially for 1 night stays.

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I had the best experience at this hotel. The service is phenomenal. They go above and beyond. We received a bouquet of fresh flowers one morning. In addition, it was my birthday and the staff presented me with a small cake and gift. The Thai restaurant is excellent. The room service food was about the best food that I had in India! It was a nice escape from the hectic bustle of the city.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I have traveled all over the world for both business and leisure, and stayed in everything from 5 star hotels to youth hostels and this hotel is by far the worst place I've ever stayed. They are clearly charging people for the Taj name. You can smell the must of 30 years of un-remediated mold the moment you enter the lobby, which they have tried to mask with some sort of cheap air freshener combined with cooking smells. I initially thought that it would just be lobby, and being it is a Taj establishment that the rooms would be okay - wrong. The first room was on the 5th floor and apparently not part of the recent remodel they boast about. The room again had a very distinct smell of mold and everything, including the sheets, were wet. I politely asked to see a different room as I was hoping to sleep on dry sheets, and was told that due to Mumbai's climate everything is this way. It was 3am (due to a flight delay) and I did not have the energy to argue so I put towels on the bed and used my travel blanket. The next day my family and I all woke up congested with headaches at which point I said that we needed to be moved to another room on one of the remodeled floors. The front desk staff was eventually accommodating dating after again trying to convince me it is just the nature of Mumbai's climate. I will again say that I have traveled all over the world, including many places in tropical Asia and regardless of the level of humidity outside, have never stayed in a place that was also humid to the point of total dampness and mold inside. They moved us to one of the remodeled rooms higher up in the building, which was slightly better in that it didn't smell, but everything remained wet. As a result I left my belongings in my suitcase in an effort to keep them dry, but also meant I had wrinkled clothes. The service in the restaurant was awful, too many customers waiting while too many wait staff are standing around doing nothing. The location was not at all good as evidenced by the armored military vehicle who had set up a road block across the street from the hotel and was on patrol with an automatic weapon - did not make me feel safe to leave the hotel and walk around to check out the surroundings. We ended up cutting our stay short and moving to different hotel as my family and all ended up getting sick (and despite also being in Mumbai's tropical climate, was smelly or wet). I would not recommend this establishment to anyone, particularly those traveling with young children.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Vivanta by Taj - President, Mumbai? Share your experiences!