1. I booked this for the swimming pool. I get there, no swimming pool - it's closed. I express disappointment and ask for some kind of a discount or upgrade (as the price is well above the non-swimming pool places in the area and there was no notification when I booked). The duty manager: it says on your booking website that the swimming pool is closed. Really? Which one? Because I looked at all of them through trip advisor to get the best rate. All of them, ma'am: you were told. I get out my computer, go to all the usual ones: nope, no notification anywhere. DM: well, we sent you an email. I look through the emails in front of her: Nope. DM: well, it says on our website. Nope, not on the main page, A user actually has to go to the page that is specifically about the swimming pool to find the notification. DM: shrug; you should have known.
At this point I get snotty, etc. as I just got a whole string of lies, and I get a upgrade to a "suite". Yay! However...
2. When I checked in, the DM asks me for 2000 rupees for an extra bed for my son. I pay in cash. get upstairs, and the couch is usable for an extra bed, so I don't need it. Call up, ask for the $2000 rupees back, different DM claims I never paid it. Have to go back down and argue with him (guy who took the cash=gone for the day), argue, argue, argue, finally get it back. This DM tried about 20 different reasons to keep the money ranging from triple occupancy (which I listed on the reservation=no extra charge) to the upgrade to I never paid at all. Incredible.
3. The room smells strongly, strongly of urine. Like think NYC subway times 20. There is carpeting and it's coming through the vent - impossible to sleep - incredibly gross. Cigarette butt in the toilet when I arrived.
4. The workout room is literally in a basement closet. I cannot exaggerate this enough-I started laughing when I saw it. I almost want people to stay there to see this. Totally acceptable in a youth hostel, but this place calls itself 4 star (!)
5. Again: customer service. They call themselves a 4 star, but the service is so far below - I have never stayed in a hotel, motel, hostel where the duty managers have all the time in the world to lie, cheat and steal, and the argue with you when you call them on it. They are unprofessional to a bewildering degree.
For the same price (a glance at tripadvisor today tells me this) you can stay at Taj Vivanta or Oberoi ($50 more) or Trident; or add $100 and knock it out of the park at Taj Palace (see my review), or go to Gordon House with no swimming pool and save $50 and be in boutique paradise. But at this place: shameful.
They all smell like urine. Good luck.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
February 15, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Report response as inappropriate
I would like to thank you, for sparing your valuable time and letting us know about your experience, which has only helped us become better, and will enable us to serve our guest better.
I have set up a thorough investigation in this matter, and shall revert back to you as soon as I have a concrete idea of th entire situation.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay and would want you to know that efforts are being made to rectify the same.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.