“Mumbai'sbest” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nariman Point, Mumbai (Bombay) 400021, India   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Suite Surprises
Ranked #1 of 364 hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Mumbai'sbest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This hotel never fails to impress. The ambience is superb and the staff are helpful and friendly. The staff in the Restaurant go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your meals and its like being at home!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet but if you are visiting off-season check that no major building work in prog...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sparing your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that in your travel and stays, you have acknowledged The Oberoi, Mumbai, as The Best Hotel.

Your appreciation of our service and attention to detail, encourages us to continue with our efforts to pursue excellence.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home in Mumbai.

925 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

This was my first visit to Mumbai in many years. I was travelling with my Wife and Parents for my 30th Birthday and parents 42nd Anniversary, so was hoping the weekend was fun, smooth and relaxing for all.

We arrived 13:00 and were greeted outside the main gates by staff who were most pleasant and pilot, they bowed and greeted us with a traditional Nameste which was warming experience and could instantly tell from that moment it was a great decision we made to stay here.

The main reception was a welcomed silence with just the piano being played by a talented lady.

Neha showed us to our rooms with 5mins and our luggages were brought to us where other formalities were completed.

we booked 2 'Luxury Rooms' facing the sea, they were spacious and the bed was very very big and comfortable. A bath with a tv and shower, lovely!

At 3 on the first day we decided to take a walk outside, just outside is a shopping arcade selling traditional pieces to take home, very very pricey but good quality.

Fenix Restaurant Dinner - Try the chicken curry hot... amazing!! we asked for a mild veg dish for mum and they went above call of duty by preparing something extra special for her needs without requesting it... no charge added, complimentary starters and soups for all.... a big thanks to Ms Manpreet!

Fenix Breakfast - Try the Thai Omelette. 5 stars!! Nice continental options.

Eau Bar - They gave us 4 complimentary drinks. They serve the best JD Coke in the world.

Thanks to staff for providing me with a complimentary Chocolate Birthday Cake and giving my parents the same for their anniversary.

It was a great EXPERIENCE and thats what the Oberoi is. Thank you to the managers for keeping up high standards.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure you have your parents and you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai to celebrate your parents 42nd Wedding Anniversary and your 30th birthday.

The team is elated to note that your family and you had a memorable experience and that you have taken back fond memories of your stay with us.

I have shared your compliments with the entire team and especially with Manpreet Kaur Dhody for whom it will be a tremendous source of inspiration.

I do hope that you visit us again and give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Warm regards,
West Islip, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I had vowed never to return to Mumbai. Its sights, its sounds, and above all its smells turn my stomach. When My Dearest’s firm ordered him to Mumbai to inspect the local operations I faced a difficult choice. Should I break my vow and return to Mumbai? Or do I let My Dearest out of my sight for a week? In almost 20 years of happy marriage I have never let My Dearest off his leash, so l packed my suitcase and braced my nostrils for another dose of Mumbai foul.

The company travel office booked us into the Oberoi Mumbai. Once there I placed myself under house arrest determined not to leave the hotel until we boarded a taxi heading for the airport. My kindle was loaded with a week’s worth of books. I hunkered down to make the best of it.

The Oberoi is a pleasant, clean and efficient businessperson’s hotel. Our room was not luxurious but it was functional and comfortable with solid wood furniture, tasteful fabrics, non-descript corporate artwork, and slightly worn wooden tiles on the floor. We had a nice view over the bay. The WIFI worked well.

The bathroom was designed for one person. Medium quality plumbing fixtures but everything worked well. The towels were thin. The hairdryer was small. Single ply toilet paper. I pampered myself with a daily dip in the large soaking tub.

Service was mostly exceptional. I rang for the room butler at least once each day and timed the wait before he arrived. Average waiting time for the butler was 3.8 minutes. Not bad. The senior staff members were always helpful, courteous, and professional. Sometimes they even anticipated my requests, which is pretty good for native Indians dealing with me, a native New Yorker. Junior staffers were a mixed bag. Some of them were better at promising to do things than they were at actually doing them. A few junior staffers with more enthusiasm than experience dealing with Western guests tried to engage me in long conversations. People! It’s fine to say ‘Good morning’ and to wish me a nice day. But when hotel staff ask me personal questions that is a bridge too far. I know you’re just trying to be friendly, but please, if I want to tell you about my family and life, you’ll be the first to know.

I enjoyed breakfast at Fenix, the casual all-day restaurant in the Oberoi lobby. Skip the buffet. Skip the futile attempts to make Western egg dishes. The south Indian breakfast specials, such as Masala Dosa, are fun, filling, and tasty. At breakfast I also enjoyed giggling at despondent American tourists just as they realized that there is absolutely nothing to do in Mumbai. During the week I saw at least five naïve couples in exactly the same predicament. When they booked their vacation Mumbai sounded so exciting and exotic. They got Indian visas, took the shots, and endured the endless flight. Then they arrived in Mumbai only to discover that the air smells of sewage, quality shopping is non-existent, and the so-called tourist attractions hold zero appeal for an American.

I liked the Oberoi main lobby featuring huge windows with a view over the bay. I would grab a comfy chair, settle in with my kindle, and try to forget that Mumbai was outside. The gracious staff plied me with cups of herbal tea and the occasional flute of champagne. Probably one of the nicest spots in town.

The outdoor swimming pool was less pleasant with worn tiles, murky water, and legions of giant crows hopping about. I ordered a drink and it took 30 minutes to arrive. Some guys were trying to fix something by hammering endlessly on a pipe.

The Oberoi lacks the rich sense of history that you feel in the old sections of the Taj Palace. But I fould the Oberoi to be more relaxed and charming. Bottom line, if you are trapped in Mumbai, the Oberoi is a nice place with a gracious staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at The Oberoi, Mumbai and for sharing very detailed feedback of your experience through TripAdvisor.

Overall, we are delighted that you had a very pleasant stay and found the staff to be gracious.
While most of our services have exceeded your expectations, I am sorry to note of your experience of the swimming pool. Also, of our team members engaging you with questions. This is learning for us and our team has been apprised.

I am also sorry to read from your review that Mumbai is not your most favoured destination.
If work or a pleasure trip brings you to Mumbai, our team will look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

What an extraordinary place to end a trip to India in! Without the greatest decision! The room was perfectly comfortable. The meals in all its restaurants delicious! I cannot rave enough about it!

Thank you Oberoi for making this a spectacular ending to a special trip!

Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at The Oberoi, Mumbai for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that your stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai at the end of your trip was memorable.

The team is motivating at reading your comment and learning of your experience.

I do hope that you return to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai, in the not too distant future.

Rochester Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I was here recently on business and my wife came along. It was her first visit to India. I told her she would be spoiled and now she understands what that means! The Oberoi staff attended to her like a princess while I was doing business in Pune. She always felt safe and loved the spa and gym. Thank you all, you're the best!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have your wife and you stay at The Oberoi, during your recent trip to Mumbai.

We are very happy to receive your feedback and to note that she had an enjoyable stay and she was well looked after.

Your encouraging feedback regarding our service is very encouraging.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back at The Oberoi, Mumbai soon.

Frederiksberg, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The rooms are fine but nothing special for a five star hotel. And especially the pool area is missing some “class”.

The Internet is expensive – but working perfect.

One thing I don’t like is the sheet. It feels like you cannot “breath” in them. And if you sweat a little in the night you are soaked.

The breakfast does not look like much – until you are handed the menu (which is a part of the buffet). Here you can order everything from Thai omelet to strawberry milkshake (made of fresh strawberries). This is probably the best hotel breakfast we have had.

The best part though is the staff – from the security people in front of the hotel to the waiters in the restaurant. They are doing everything to make you feel happy – and it is done with humor so you don’t feel any snobbery.

In the restaurant the waiters was giving us the perfect treatment (including a stack of pancake for the kids). And when we came home one evening there was present (and a note) to our kids from the housekeeping.

So Oberoi is highly recommended for the great service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to review The Oberoi, Mumbai on TripAdvisor and for recommending our hotel.

The team is delighted to receive your encouraging feedback and to note that they were able to make your stay comfortable.

With regard to your feedback regarding internet being expensive, we do offer 30minutes of complimentary internet and we also offer various room packages which include internet on a complimentary basis. Nevertheless, your feedback is very important to us and we shall review the internet price.

I have also noted your feedback regarding the duvet. On your next stay, we shall offer you a cotton duvet.

The team is our strength and your appreciation motivates them.

We look forward to your continued visits.

Port Hedland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

what do i say other than the Oberoi mumbai is maybe the best hotel .no rush all the staff have the best manners,Manpreet,william,chubalaxmi helen ruby Pawan were very very good.its all been good thank you all i apologise if i havent spelt your name correctly but these people will know who im talking about thank you so much.

Room Tip: All the rooms very good
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback of your stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai through TripAdvisor.

I have personally shared your compliments with Manpreet Kaur Dhody, William Pereira, Shublaxmi Mishra, Helen Saldanha, Ruby Sharma and Pawan Chahar for whom your feedback is a tremendous source of inspiration.

We are very very happy that you had an enjoyable stay.

The team and I, look forward to your continued visits.

Executive Vice President

Been to The Oberoi, Mumbai? Share your experiences!