“excellent stay ,excellent food” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nariman Point, Mumbai (Bombay) 400021, India   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Offer- Suites@ INR 24,000
Ranked #1 of 389 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Raipur, India
“excellent stay ,excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

i have come to this hotel for the first time and was surprised for their hospitality and services given by them. it was marvellous stay and best services and best food provided by them. they were very prompt to guide u and all the staff are very friendly in nature.me felt like home only.

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai.

Your appreciation of the hotel and services is very encouraging. It is also very nice to note that you felt “at home” at The Oberoi, Mumbai.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us in the not too distant future.

Executive Vice President

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

A very special place to stay, the Oberoi Mumbai goes the extra step in any number of unexpected aspects. Specifically how does it excel? Let me count the ways:

-- Not only an excellent bed with comfortable pillows, but five alternative types of pillows available from Housekeeping -- goose down, buckwheat, memory foam, and two hypo-allergenic models.

-- Not only a fine flat-screen television in the room but an extra TV screen in the bathroom over the bathtub so you never miss a moment of your program or movie. Apart from local and national sports, entertainment, and news programs, available channels include BBC, CNN, CNBC, Bloomberg TV, and many other US and international cable networks -- ranging from Discovery and The Learning Channel to Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network, along with channels recycling new and old US and UK crime dramas.

-- Not only are there plentiful India/UK-style electrical outlets in the room but -- for charging your electronics -- you can plug your devices directly into either of two multiple-configuration outlets. They are built into a desk drawer and take US and Euro plugs, among others.

-- Not only a clock radio but one with a port for playing music from -- and charging -- your iPod or iPad.

-- Not only a late checkout available on a case-by-case basis, but when special circumstances occurred on my departure date -- and room availability permitted -- a sympathetic front-office duty manager gave me an extended late checkout time at no extra cost, coinciding with the hour of my late-night departure for the airport.

-- Not only was there a complimentary bottle of potable drinking water in the room each day, but it was a huge 1-liter bottle of QUA Himalayan mineral water and was accompanied by a large thermos flask filled with chilled L'Quila natural spring water.

-- Not only a welcoming check-in from the friendly and efficient front-desk staff, but a personal tour of the room and explanation of all the features by the front-desk officer.

-- Not only a DVD player, but a long list of hit movies (discs available from the concierge) including the Oscar-winning Mumbai-based "Slumdog Millionaire."

The Oberoi Mumbai has a great location and features a magnificent lobby, a 24-hour business center, a Spa, a fitness center, and a swimming pool. You can drink and/or dine at the "Champagne Lounge," bar, and three excellent restaurants -- Italian, Indian, and all-day international. Breakfast comes with a wide variety of Indian and Western choices, made-to-order toast, omelets, and other dishes -- buffet style or provided by an attentive serving staff.

My room featured a great view of the Mumbai skyline from a high floor, an in-room safe, ample drawer and shelf space, and a roomy closet with slip-proof hangers. Amenities included robes and slippers; complimentary oranges in the room complete with plate, napkins, knife, and fork; and switches for the automatic window blinds and bathroom privacy screen. It boasted highly attractive furnishings, a digital thermostat, and three phones -- at the bed, desk, and bathroom. I received excellent housekeeping service plus very thorough evening turn-down service.

The bathroom offered instant hot water in the sink and shower at all hours of the day or night, an efficient Toto toilet, a separate shower stall & bathtub, a good shower with an optional manual spray, and a hair dryer, shower cap, and other bathroom amenities.

The hotel offers a strong wi-fi signal with a half-hour of free usage each day. But for more online connection time, you pay through the nose -- starting at an overpriced Rs 400 (around US$6.50) for 1 hour and ranging up to Rs990 (around US$16) for 24 hours. Still, apart from the fact that certain optional amenities (wi-fi, just like swimming pools) are increasingly included in the room rate by fine hotels, the high Internet usage charge is of little consequence for guests at the Oberoi. It does not detract at all from the pleasure of staying at this magnificent property -- probably one of the best hotels in the world and most certainly the best I have ever encountered in my extensive global travels for business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Great view from the higher floors
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and for sharing your feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are very delighted to receive your detailed feedback and to learn that you had a very good stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai. It is very encouraging to note that you have remembered and noted every detail of our services and facilities.

Nothing gives us more joy than to note that you rate The Oberoi, Mumbai, as one of the best hotels in the world and that it is the best hotel you have experienced in your extensive global travels.

The team and I, look forward to welcoming you back as and when you visit Mumbai and The Oberoi, Mumbai again.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed in one of the suites which has a wonderful view of the Queen's necklace. The rooms, service and food is in a class of its own. The sunday brunch is something worth having if you are a foodie. The variety and the quality of the spread is simply awesome.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the splendid view, the room, the service and especially the Sunday Brunch at The Oberoi, Mumbai.

We thank you for having spared your time to post your feedback through TripAdvisor and look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Mumbai, as and when you visit Mumbai again.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in (including many ritz Carlton's). Staff were warm and welcoming and service was outstanding. Everything was clean and luxurious. Staff anticipated your needs and seemed to really care! I definitely recommend this hotel if you're in Mumbai!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sharing your generous feedback through TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to note that you had a wonderful experience at the hotel and that our staff anticipated your needs and were caring.

Your generous praise of our team members being warm and welcoming is very encouraging.

Thank you for recommending The Oberoi, Mumbai. We hope you will return soon and stay with us again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is my second time staying at the Oberoi Mumbai this year.

In short - What an amazing hotel!!!

The Oberoi brand as I’m sure most will be aware is synonymous with luxury and class in India.
This is exactly what you will receive here. From the amazing grandeur of the atrium as you enter the main hall to the luxuriously furnished rooms, the whole experience at the Oberoi will leave you feeling pleased that you chose to stay here.

I often stay at premium hotels in prime locations and dine at top restaurants and Mumbai is no exception. Perched on the edge of the beautiful queen’s necklace and away from the chaotic hustle bustle of the inner city, the Oberoi’s location allows from some clean and fresh respite in an otherwise hectic and very busy city.

The Oberoi hotel is wonderful. From the beautifully presented buffet breakfast ironically served from an A-la-Carte freshly ‘prepared to order menu’ to the excellent food in the Italian Vetro restaurant, the well-appointed rooms with all the luxurious amenities one would expect and the grand atrium with fantastic views of the lobby and the sea - this is truly one classy hotel.

Let’s be realistic, if I am to be ultra-critical I could point out several small niggles here and there as nothing is often perfect. Furthermore, much of what I could say would be subjective to my preferences or high expectations I have of premium hotels. Coming from the UK where the service standards in premium hotels are exceptionally good, fluid and organised there are some small clumsy issues that I encountered such as food being served to some guests whilst the others waited, being asked for my room number twice by two different persons at breakfast, waiting for my order a little longer then I would have hoped, room key not working suddenly, having charges on my bill for internet usage which was supposed to be complimentary and which was promptly removed once pointed out, etc etc.

But despite this, the key factor at the Oberoi is the brilliant staff and the massive amount of courtesy and warm regards they offer to their guests no matter what the situation. To me this makes all the difference. No matter how many issues or niggles I could point out, the fantastic staff were always to hand to assist, hugely polite, warm and genuine in their efforts and there to make your stay pleasant. This far outweighs any small inconveniences and making all the difference in my view.

We all had a fantastic stay and my aunt who was with me and who had returned to India after 25 plus years was truly impressed. The Hotel manager Mr Varun Chhibber was also courteous enough to send us emails both prior to and after our stay welcoming and thanking us which added to the experience.

Without doubt this will be the hotel I return to when in Mumbai again!

Room Tip: Any room would be great but the sea view rooms although more expensive would be worth it for the fan...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at The Oberoi, Mumbai.

We are delighted to receive your feedback of the hotel and about your experience at The Oberoi, Mumbai. Your compliments of the staff, the facilities, the food, the breakfast buffet are all very encouraging for our team.

I also thank you for also highlighting some of the shortcomings such as the service at breakfast, the room key malfunctioning, a wrong charge being posted on your bill and food being served to some guests while others waited. Based on your feedback, we will retrain the team.

Your generous compliments have been shared with Mr. Varun Chhibber, the Hotel Manager for whom it will be a tremendous source of inspiration.

Thank you once again, for your detailed feedback.

The team and I, await your return in the not too distant future and to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I had the great fortune of staying at this amazing hotel for 2 nights and I can no doubt say it was the best 2 nights of our hotels in Mumbai compared to the Taj and our stay in Juhu.

Location: a great location and ideal walking distance onto the marine drive for a great morning or evening walk

Staff : What an amazing team of humble and talented individuals - they go out of their way to make your stay memorable and personalised service stood out for me. Where staff members from reception, concierge, restaurants and managers greeting me by my first name. Very helpful and a lot of the other hotel staff can learn from this team

Rooms : Modern day luxury at its best - the rooms are comfy and spacious and very luxurious. Great beds that allow you to relax after a day of touring. The selection of pillows makes it easier for those that require that specific need to be catered for. The choice of newspapers delivered in the morning allows one to keep up with the latest current affairs

Restaurants : great service at the bar which we visited as we arrived for some chilling virgin cocktails, the Indian restaurant Ziya had gone out of their way to cater for our dietary requirements of no onion and garlic and was definitely a memorable dinner. On the second day we even had a selection of eggless pastries made specially for us which also was a great treat for us.

The only thing I think the hotel can work on is cheaper if not complimentary wifi for guests.

In summary: this was definitely not my last visit to the Oberoi - I will definitely return as these memories that have been created will last a lifetime.

Thanks to all the staff at The Oberoi for a memorable and luxurious stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room as high up as you can and if possible sea facing for the great views.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sparing your valuable time to share your memorable experience of your stay through TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to receive your feedback and to learn that you enjoyed walking on Marine Drive. The location of our hotel is indeed very nice. We are also happy to note that you enjoyed the service and the cuisine in the hotel.

Your feedback is very encouraging and inspiring.

We appreciate that you will always choose to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai, on your future stays and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Warm regards,
Preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Just completed a 3 week whirlwind tour of India, finished the trip with a stay at the Oberoi Mumbai. 2 years ago I stayed at the Taj Mahal palace and loved it, this time I thought I would try something different so booked the Oberoi. I have to say I was not dissappointed.

The level of service was second to none, the staff were all very friendly and very polite. All the staff were lovely with the children all had a smile or a friendly chat with them. The breakfast was amazing first time eating steak for breakfast!

If I come again I will definately stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at The Oberoi, Mumbai and for sparing your valuable time to review The Oberoi, Mumbai on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you chose to stay at The Oberoi Mumbai towards the end of your trip, and that you had a comfortable stay at our hotel. We are also happy that you enjoyed the breakfast.

Your appreciation of our team members is very encouraging and will motivate them to strive harder towards excellence.

I do hope that you have the occasion to visit us again in the not too distant future.

Executive Vice President

Been to The Oberoi, Mumbai? Share your experiences!