“I ran out of superlatives” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Oberoi, Mumbai

You added The Oberoi, Mumbai to your Saves list
The Oberoi, Mumbai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nariman Point, Mumbai (Bombay), India   |
Ranked #1 of 396 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Lone Tree, CO
“I ran out of superlatives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I give up. I ran out of superlatives apropos to my very recent experience at the Oberoi Mumbai. Fascinatingly frenetic and bursting at the seams with life, the city of Mumbai offers an oasis of luxury, calm and uncluttered refuge at the Oberoi. I booked the weekend spa package that came with a 30 minute massage, early check-in and 6PM check out. When I was making travel arrangements, the late check out sealed the deal for me at the Oberoi because of a late night Sunday flight out of Mumbai.

The South Mumbai location is smack in the middle of the financial district , walking distance to shopping and major landmarks like the Gateway arch and the Taj Palace hotel -- the other hotel I considered for this trip. In front of the hotel is a promenade fronting the Arabian Sea. On a weekend, this promenade was unbelievably busy with a good cross section of Mumbai population represented even at 2AM. I do not know how safe will a late hour stroll be for a Mumbai newbie but I felt safe in the company of a friend who is local.

Putting the luxurious contemporary and very tasteful atmosphere of the Oberoi aside, what sets this place apart from great hotels I have experienced is its staff. All the hotel folks I've come in contact with from the moment I went through the security gate for the first time, struck me as genuinely liking their job and place of work. This perception makes a world of difference in framing my experience at the Oberoi. Oh… I never expected my room to be cleaned and freshened-up on day of checkout. Why would they? However, at the Oberoi, my room got cleaned, towels refreshed and bed made as if I was spending another night. I had to remind the cleaning crew that I will be checking out at 6PM. Apparently, it did not matter.

Indubitably, my next trip to Mumbai will see me at the Oberoi.

Room Tip: Seriously consider the weekend spa package with early and late check out when available. It is ve...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay The Oberoi, Mumbai and for sharing feedback of your experience, through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay.

Your feedback of the team inspires them to scale greater heights of excellence.

The team and I, look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Executive Vice President

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I arrived in Mumbai minus my bags due to an airline mixup and the staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at ease. The concierge helped me liaise with the airline, the housekeeping staff assisted with a distress kit and even complimentary laundry as I got settled in. With my bags now found and the trauma behind me I have come to the realization that this is the best hotel by far in Mumbai. Genuinely warm and friendly staff, the food is amazing and the decor and fittings all worth the money. I even indulged in a spa treatment .. a must do experience. Well done Oberoi staff and management ... A new personal benchmark for me in luxury and professional hospitality that is seamless, professional and simply superlative.

• Stayed December 2012
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sparing your valuable time to share feedback of your stay through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Mumbai in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed here for a full weekend and was incredibly impressed by the place.

Everything about this hotel is first class: the rooms, the service, the food, the views.

I have visited a number of extremely high quality hotels in India, but I think you will struggle to find one much better than this.

Highly recommended, and I will be back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your encouraging comments through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you had a pleasant stay and chose to stay at The Oberoi, Mumbai.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Oberoi, Mumbai.

Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I visited the Oberoi on business and found it absolutely outstanding. First time visitors may be surprised by the level of security checking, but it is always done with great courtesy, and given the history of the hotel, it is understandable. The hotel has a wonderful spacious lobby which gives onto a cafe and wonderrful views of the Arabian Sea. The Oberoi is joined to the Trident and between the two there are a number of eating options within the hotel complex. all the food I had during my stay was excellent. The rooms are not huge but very well appointed and very comfortable. My room also had a great view of the harbour and ocean. One slight disappontment (given the room rate) was having to pay for wi-fi.
There is a high ratio of staff to guests and, as you would expect, the service is pretty exceptional and staying on the right side of overpowering. So if price is no object I can absolutely recommend the Oberoi.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor with an ocean view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing your time to review us on TripAdvisor.

The team is pleased to note that you had an enjoyable stay and we are delighted to receive your encouraging feedback.

With regards to your feedback regarding complimentary internet, we have noted your suggestion and we shall review it.

My team and I, look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Excellent service throughout the hotel. This was a nice treat as it was our last stop in India before returning to the U.S. The food and service at the Italian restaurant was fabulous. The hotel staff & management were very accomodating given that our flight did not depart until 11:40pm. We travel extensively throughout the world and I have to say they by far provided the best service ever.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was indeed a pleasure having you stay with us at The Oberoi, Mumbai and thank you for sharing your review through TripAdvisor.

We are all delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay. Your comments about the hotel and the team are very motivating.

My team and I, look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I loved the Oberoi in Mumbai. Spectacular views of the sea, the staff was EXCEPTIONAL and gave me so much advice and were so lovely. When I was sick, they bought be a special indian desert for free to cheer me up. I ordered a glass of wine and they bought me half a bottle just because they knew I was working hard (and needed a drink!).

Really amazing staff, amazing service and spectacular hotel with a great gym, pool, 24 hour spa and just great atmosphere. I will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your views through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you had a comfortable stay with us.

Your appreciation is a source of inspiration and will motivate all of us to scale greater heights of excellence.

The team and I, look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to The Oberoi, Mumbai.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

There are many 5 star hotels in Mumbai and I have stayed with all of them but Oberoi/Trident ranks way above all these hotels. Excellent ambiance, location and view. The staff is very kind. Top notch service. They just know how to keep you happy.
I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. For myself, I just know where to go now.
Best hotel in Mumbai !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TheOberoi_Mumbai, General Manager at The Oberoi, Mumbai, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is indeed a pleasure having you at The Oberoi, Mumbai and we thank you for sparing the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that The Oberoi, Mumbai will be your preferred your hotel.

Executive Vice President

Been to The Oberoi, Mumbai? Share your experiences!