“Old world elegance” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Taj Mahal Palace to your Saves list
The Taj Mahal Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Apollo Bunder, Mumbai (Bombay) 400001, India   |
Ranked #2 of 364 hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Old world elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

When our large family group stepped out of the black hotel cars and into the air conditioned, lemony smelling reception of the Taj, Apollo Bunder, Mumbai, I did for a moment think that I was descended from royalty. The rose petals and dhiyas and bowing had me.....until we were asked to present passports and credit cards!
But what a beautiful building, furnished impeccably, down to the floral arrangements and scent burners. The rooms do not disappoint, nor does the buffet breakfast. The service was excellent all round. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, July 6, 2013

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor further to your experience at The Taj.

We greatly value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to The Taj soon.

2,204 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I had been in Taj Hotel last 7 days before. I love this hotel because of the quality services and well mannered employees wins your heart. Love to be there when in Mumbai. I recommend this hotel to every traveller because of Quality service, Cleanliness, Supporting staffs and well rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

It is our earnest endeavor to ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience and I am delighted to know that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

After our four month exhausting trip around India this was our last and final stop and what an experience. World class. From when we arrived, the welcome was professional but warm, through to the friendly staff, stunning room overlooking the City. Can't fault it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, July 3, 2013

Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Taj is now my favourite hotel. Yes, it was suitably located with very clean rooms (in my case thanks to Anita and Arun), comfortable beds, delicious food, incredibly friendly and helpful staff (like Viren and Priyanka).

What made the experience stand out was the attention paid to the little things specific to me.
I loved using the phone and being addressed by my name, instead of a random "Hello M'am". Gifts on the first night accompanied by an animal-folded towel were much appreciated. But you stole my heart with your Taj bookmark for the book I had left on my bedside table and the gorgeous bouquet of red roses - unforgettable!!!

I hear a bicycle tour is in the makings - something else to look forward to.

Well worth another stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
tmhgm_bom, General Manager at The Taj Mahal Palace, responded to this review, July 1, 2013

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Taj Mahal Palace Hotel was fantastic. We spent 5 nights there for our honeymoon and the staff were highly attentive and approachable. We were even greeted by a gorgeous celebratory cake and balloons in our room on our arrival (at 2am!). Breakfast was superb. The small patisserie on the ground floor was perfect for getting some lunch, and most evenings we ate outside by the pool. This hotel was an oasis of calm within the hustle and bustle of Mumbai, and the well-staffed pool was the perfect place to go after a day of sightseeing. There there was no shortage of complimentary chilled bottled water and towels, and every so often the waiter would bring freshly prepared fruit and cold facecloths. Thank you to all at the Taj for ensuring that our honeymoon was an unforgettable one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

If you want to treat yourself or anyone to a nice stay in Mumbai, I recommend this hotel. There are other fancy hotels in Mumbai for sure, but the Taj is in a great location for tourists - walking distance to the famous Leopold cafe, Colaba Causeway, Gateway of India etc. Plus if you miss starbucks, there's one in the hotel too.

All the staff are extremely friendly and kind and go to great lengths to deliver a service beyond your expectations. Stay in the Palace wing if you have the chance because the architecture is grand and very charming. You'll definitely get a heritage feel in the Palace wing compared to the Tower wing. If you're ever in need of any help while staying here, any staff would be more than happy to attend to your needs. If you're sick you can tell them and they can help to pick up some medicine from the pharmacy as well. They had even helped me order and collect my dinner from a nearby cafe at a minimal fee which was very reasonable and saved me the hassle of walking out in the night. Very nice stay at the Taj and it was truly unforgettable.

There was a lot of choice for the buffet breakfast as well as a good range of international newspapers, but the food quality wasn't that amazing in my opinion. Nothing to complain about though, it just wasnt AMAZING. Overall it was still good and I'm very satisfied with my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room whether in tower or palace wing
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai.

Your compliments about the staff in particular, delight me and it gives me great pleasure to share it with the team. Your kind words of appreciation for our staff members will go a long way in motivating and encouraging them to do even better in future. I have also noted your feedback on the quality of food and appreciate your honest feedback.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We went with friends with families took 5 rooms on club floor
it was awesome experience, specially this is the place where you realize the difference between a 5 star and TAJ
I would call it TAJ EXPERIENCE
We keep it as Bench mark, Par Excellence
highly satisfied with Service/Cleanliness/security/quick response
really so nice
regards
Praveen.

Room Tip: any room would be great specially on club floor 6th floor is amazing due to view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai

Been to The Taj Mahal Palace? Share your experiences!