“A luxurious place to recover near Mumbai Airport’s international terminal” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Leela Mumbai

You added The Leela Mumbai to your Saves list
The Leela Mumbai
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sahar, Mumbai (Bombay) 400 059, India   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay More Save More
Ranked #14 of 389 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Berkeley, California
“A luxurious place to recover near Mumbai Airport’s international terminal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Leela is a truly luxurious hotel located minutes from the international terminal of Mumbai airport by car, and approximately 15 minutes by car from the domestic terminal of the same airport.

I found it to be a perfect transit hotel for my night-time arrival from the US. The disorientation of exiting the airport after a 16 hour flight from Newark was soon fixed by the sign-bearing Leela driver and the immaculately dressed host who greeted me and took me to the hotel in a car (a BMW, no less). Everything in the hotel met with expectation - the quick check in, the attentive service that was not intrusive, the well-appointed room with an exceptional bathroom, the quality of the late-night room service meal. The only slightly off-putting thing is the airport-like security to enter the hotel, but I suppose that this is unavoidable after the horrible terrorist attack on hotels and train stations of a few years ago.

I also stayed here for a day and a night before catching my flight leaving India. Again, the hotel met and even exceeded expectation, but this time I took a walk for an hour and a half outside the hotel. Like any place in Mumbai, the environment is vibrant, but my several-year absence from Mumbai had left me unprepared for the noise, the traffic, the whiffs of sewer smells, the muddy sidewalks (when the sidewalk was not dug up, forcing me into the chaotic traffic), the garbage through which one is forced to walk. I went into the back streets and at one point I was a little concerned about being able to get away without being separated from some money to be “volunteered” as a donation. Bottom line - this is a harsher view of Mumbai than one gets if one stays in one of the fancy hotels downtown. Don’t plan to leave the hotel complex on foot unless you want to immerse yourself in an environment that cannot be described as pleasant, interesting though it might be.

The relevance of the environment to my two stays at the hotel is that one has no real choice but to eat inside unless one hires a car and drives somewhere. Downtown Mumbai is too far away for a casual drive, and I found myself spending as much as the hotel room rent on food and on transportation to the airport (the initial pickup was free but I paid a hefty fee for the other three pickups and drop offs). Everything inside the hotel was quite expensive by US standards, but I did not begrudge a rupee I spent because the food was great and the two restaurants that I ate in provided nice environments to sit and relax in. Finally, the fitness center is superb and free - one of the best hotel fitness centers I have been in anywhere, with two levels and many machines and a watchful staff. I was even able to use the fitness center near midnight upon arrival from the US. In conclusion, a very soothing beginning and end to my short trip to India

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ashish R, General Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this review, August 21, 2013

Greetings from The Leela.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and sharing your experiences. This goes a long way in enabling us to improve our offering to the exceed your expectations.

I am happy to note that your entire stay from the BMW drive to the hotel, welcome experience, dining and our 24-hour fitness center was comfortable.

I look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel soon again.

Ashish Kumar Rai,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

A superb hotel to stay when you're in Mumbai and need to be nearer the Airport. Good access to business areas of Bandra, Worli, Andheri. Many good eating and shopping establishments near by.

The Keralite/Southern Indian hospitality appeals to me, which this hotel prides on. Excellent service, good breakfast and spacious room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from The Leela.

Thank you for the encouraging words about your stay with us. We pride ourselves on offering our guests an Essence of India – our group philosophy, hence your comment is heartening to note.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Ashish Kumar Rai,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a business trip. Convenient to the airport. The room was nice and the service was excellent.
My luggage did not arrive on my flight and so the hotel followed up with the airline for me so I did not need to worry about it.
They had a nice service when you leave where someone meets you at the airport and fast tracks you through everything.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ashish R, General Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this review, August 26, 2013

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on this visit. My team and I are delighted to note that our property met your expectations and that our Concierge and Airport assistance services were beneficial. Your feedback is truly encouraging.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel soon.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Leela stands for Luxury and Location. And the same can be said about this Mumbai property. A stone's throw away from the International airport and sheer opulence right from the time they pick you up from the airport to the time they say goodbye.
I found the hotel decor very appealing and the international food was excellent. Jamavar was as good as ever - this wasn't the first time I have tried them out.
Very comfortable bed and a nice cosy room. I also tried the Chinese restaurant and the food was authentic and service impeccable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from The Leela.

My team and I are delighted to have your feedback about your experience. I hope we will be your location of choice every time you visit our vibrant city.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Hotel is close to Airport. Although there is city hustle outside, as soon as you enter the hotel premises, you are at peace with greenery and surroundings. I was on the club floor with snacks and drinks throughout the day. Staff was good.
They have selection of cuisines to choose from.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ashish R, General Manager at The Leela Mumbai, responded to this review, August 23, 2013

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on this visit. My team and I are delighted to note that our property – an oasis in this bustling city – met your expectations and that you enjoyed our hearty offering in the Royal Club Lounge. Your feedback is truly encouraging.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

great place to relax, I really enjoyed the view from my hotel window, great place, I even got a small gift to welcome, helpful staff, price is just ok quality great, I'm happy to stay is the internet and all that is needed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback, as it is the response from discerning travellers such as yourself that helps us refine our offering further.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel twice this year as a stopover as I transfer to Mumbai Airport. The hotel, grounds and rooms are excellent but expect to tip.
Rooms have all the amenities you would expect and although slightly warn (if you look hard enough) provided good value for money.
Pool and Bar areas are again very good, there is a tree over hanging the pool the provides shade, watch out for the local birds who appear to use swimmers has target practice as they rest on the branches above.
Restaurants are again very clean and the service excellent, they are slightly pricey but you pay for quality. The lack of a lower price snack option was disappointing, maybe it’s there but I just missed it. Breakfast has an excellent selection of food and beverages, something for everyone.
The hotel also provides an excellent BMW Airport transfer
All in all I enjoyed my stay and would consider a longer stay in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Greetings from The Leela Mumbai.

My team and I are delighted to note that your overall experience during the stay with us was pleasant. I shall look into your comments with my team to devise solutions basis feasibility.

Ashish Kumar Rai

Been to The Leela Mumbai? Share your experiences!