“One of the best hotels I've been in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel

You added Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel to your Saves list
Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 & 3B Near Chinmayanand Ashram | Powai, Mumbai (Bombay) 400 087, India   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Weekend Escapes
Ranked #74 of 396 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Spokane, WA
“One of the best hotels I've been in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Amazing setting, location and service. This is a 5 star paradise secluded and secure.

Stayed February 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

My first stay in India where I havent stayed at one of the Leela hotels, so I wasnt sure what to expect (even though it is a Marriott).

Location & Security...superb! High secuirty at the grounds entrance and hotel entrance. About 20mins drive from the airport (on a sunday morning). 15mins from Powai...I used the autos....40INR each way (watch the buggers though...they will try it on....one tried to charge me 1200inr...but you get dodgy drivers all over the world. A polite "on your bike son, here is 40inr, have a good day" and walk off soon sorts it out). Hotel cars......if you are a multi billionaire..go for it. If not,dont! Get an auto or get the consierge to call you a cool cab". A fraction of the cost, safe, metered and they have a/c. Just a note on Mumbai airport. Very easy to use and I have never had a problem (arriving or departing). But be warned.....even using the business class line, the queue to get through secuirty took 2.5hours. Leave plenty of time, take some water and be smothered in mozzie spray. I went two weeks with only on mozzie bite...and then got hit 4 times in the security to queue at the airport!

Hotel Staff...Very polite and courteous, but pretty useless at times. Gave up after four attempts at getting some additional coat hangers.

Restaurants....Very expensive (no suprise). Food was always very good and the staff very happy to talk to you about the food.

Room service.....Menu limited, but service and standard very good.

Bar......God awfull bands playing typical hotel lobby cover versions. They were funny though (they didnt mean to be!).

Rooms....Bathroom...tiles missing, bulbs blown (gave up trying to get these replaced along with the coat hangers). Bed room section...very nice, spotless clean and confortable. Similar to the previous review, I had problems with noise due to a fair ground appearing under my room! The "manager I spoke to at the time said it was out of his control and didnt offer to move me. Views....I had a "hill view room". Hill view view = dirty big water pipe, slum and a hill with a a tree and what looked like a prison on it! Internet...expensive, slow and hit andmiss

Pool......Never had a problem getting a sunbed (especailly during the week...again, benefit of working UK time...breakfast, pool for a acouple of hours, then work!). Service was slow, but hey!

Public areas.....Very good.

Price/value......I booked this room on line at 10500INR room only. Two days later I checked again and they had a deal at 8500inr inc breakfast. They let me change to the lower rate without an issue. However, at check in they still had the higher rate. This was resolved without issue.

Summary....I get the impression that the hotel relies on its past glory days. It needs to modernise and smarten up both room wise and service wise. Would I go back? Yes I probably would....but that is only because of the location to where I work and the individual staff members I dealt with. I raised this issues again at check out and spoke to a lady who I belive to be a Snr Manager. Not only did she offer me a free nights stay on my next visit, but she also presented me with gifts for my children. A small touch, but one that means I may well go back. Things do go wrong, but it is how you put them right that shows your metal.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for over 30 days in Jan/Feb. In reading some of the most recent reviews, I'm not sure that we were all staying at the same hotel.

I would say that all of the hotel staff I dealt with were excellent and very customer service focused. Very professional. The best thing about the room was the bed. Almost like a Westin "heavenly bed". Great sheets, great pillows and the air conditioning was controllable so I could sleep comfortably. The daily amenities included a comb, soap, shampoo, shower gel, razor, sewing kit and dental kit.
Internet was intermittent.. I lost connection sometimes 3x per night and it is not complimentary.
The rooms are not consistent in quality. I had to be moved from my first room because of a musty smell (like standing water) . One of my colleagues was also moved from her room when she heard rustling noises in her room two nights in a row. Don't leave food out in your room! The moves were handled graciously and promptly.

IMHO, the biggest opportunity for improvement is in their restaurants. I ate at Fratelli Fresh about 4 times and I found the food to be inconsistent and lacking flavor. I ate at the Chinese restaurant only once because the service was so bad. There were six of us dining together and we waited for over an hour before four of us were given our entrees. The other two? They had to wait an additional 30 minutes because the kitchen lost their order. The Indian restaurant is good, but the service is incredibly slow as well. Service is also spotty in the Lakeview Cafe - the staff could not be more friendly and helpful, but they wait can be 45 minutes. The solution? Order room service. They tell you it will take 30-40 minutes but it arrives much faster than sitting at the restaurant and you can order from the menu's of all cuisines.

The wine prices are highway robbery, really.... A glass of Indian wine that is mediocre at best was over $10. Stick to Kingfisher beer or go to a wine store and buy a bottle for your room. Grover Cabernet can be had for 750 rupees a bottle and I liked it.

I would not call the pool scene "happening" by any means. Lots of middle aged Europeans and Americans hanging around. It is a wonderful place to relax, the pool is great and the service friendly but also slow, slow, slow. The mojitos are mighty tasty on a hot day by the pool.

Something unexpected/...being kept awake by the beating drums that could go into the morning. Not sure if they were from weddings or religious celebrations. Kind of cool at first.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Stayed at the junior suite and they greeted us very well.
The restaurants - Emperors court (chinese) and the new italian restaurant in the new tower were absolutely fantastic.
The spa is one of the best in the world. Highly recommended.

• Liked — good 5 star
  • Disliked — all is good
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Its best for international events

• Liked — enquire
  • Disliked — asking
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Everything was ok, swimmingpool great, gym great, and the italian restaurant great. and concierge great. But, and it is a big but, you have to be cutiuos all he time about extra charges. Up to a point I did not enjoyed my stay anymore.

If they could change that, would be a great hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

This Hotel is great and excellent rooms & service

Stayed August 2009

Been to Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel? Share your experiences!