“Lights, camera, action!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bollywood Tours

Bollywood Tours
23, Manohar Das Street | Fort, Mumbai (Bombay) 400001, India (Gateway of India)
+91 96 19 677886
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: At the heart of the Entertainment Industry in India is Mumbai, and at the heart of the Bollywood tourism industry is Bollywood Tours. A Mumbai based company, we are the first and finest in the industry of Bollywood tours and entertainment. Having this experience puts us in a tactical position for delivering the best packages and the most knowledgeable operators with you on your trip to discover the facets of the Indian Film Industry. We believe in doing few things, but doing them exceptionally well. This mantra drives us ahead, and continues us to challenge the status quo, ensuring delight each time and every time.Contact us and you could just end up having the most memorable time during your stay here.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Saint Paul, Minnesota
471 attraction reviews
1,248 helpful votes 1,248 helpful votes
“Lights, camera, action!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I signed up for a “full-day” excursion with Bollywood tours at the end of my ten days in India. Bollywood is probably Mumbai’s (if not India’s) signature overseas export so the decision to sign up for a tour was an easy one. Unlike Hollywood, the India version isn’t really a defined geographical entity as much as a loosely linked group of studios that create over a thousand films every year in a variety of palettes: documentaries, action, romance, drama, soap operas, etc. The full-day tour consists of driving by the homes of a few films stars and then visiting a couple of the studios themselves.

We started off seeing the home of Shahrukh Khan, probably one of the most famous movie stars in the world and certainly the most eminent actor people in the US have never heard of. This was followed by visits to homes of a couple lesser known stars. These stopovers were views from the street only; don’t expect to be having drinks with these guys as the security roughly approximates the White House. This introductory hour was followed by the main section of the tour: visits to Basra and S.J. Studios, small and medium-size film lots respectively. It was here that the trip really became interesting for me, as I saw a number of different productions from a show for National Geographic to a soap opera to rehearsals for a regional dance competition. I was allowed to watch the action from the director’s and cameraman’s viewpoint or just stand quietly in a corner and observe. The studios were quite different, with Basra being a bit of a smaller operation and S.J. the opposite: large sets, larger shoots, and much busier. I also got a chance to tour equipment rooms, a dressing room, and various sets both being used and those waiting for a movie to be shot there. After about 1-2 hours at each studio I was brought back to my hotel.

This experience was well worth the time and money spent for several reasons. First, it gave me a good overview of the Bollywood industry and the vast number and variety of productions it makes every year, as well as the importance to the local economy of what is evidently a very fickle business. Second, and probably more importantly, it gave me an insight into how films anywhere (US, Asia, Europe, etc.) are made; this was the first time I had ever been on a film set so just to hear the director say “cut” was a bit of a thrill to be honest. I also learned to my surprise how boring and tedious making these things can be: waiting for the stars, waiting for the designers to get the set “looking just right,” waiting for the make-up crew to do the same, etc. etc. In a way the experience as a whole was a metaphor for the industry: a lot more glamorous on the outside than inside. Lastly, my tour leader was superb. My guide (Ishan Shrivastav) constantly looked out for me at all times, steering me to something that he thought would be interesting when I had my fill watching the fifteenth take of a scene. We had great conversations during the entire trip about not only Bollywood but a number of topics regarding past and current day India. In short, customer service clearly seems to be a priority with this company.

In summary, I would highly recommend a tour with this group. The experience is one that I will remember for a life-time although I admit this may be due to two unique facts: I never had this type of insight into the industry before and also have a special interest in films. Given the commute times the full-day option is probably going to be your best bet in the value-for-money category; aficionados or those in the trade may want to explore the multi-day alternatives.

Visited January 2013
Jitin G, Owner at Bollywood Tours, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for choosing us,we always try our best for complete customer satisfaction and yes the feedback written by you is like a big trophy in itself for us,we are very happy that you liked and enjoy the tour.

Istanbul, Turkey
“Thank you for a wonderful school tour/trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I brought a group of twelve Turkish high school students to a theater festival in Mumbai, and our school arranged a tour with Bollywood Tours for the day after the festival ended. My students were tired, but still excited about seeing the studios.

Ishan was our guide, and from the moment he met us at the hotel, to the moment he waved good-bye, he was helpful, informative, fun and obviously cared a lot about seeing that the students enjoyed their visit. Tired teenagers, even if they are excited, can be difficult to motivate, but with his friendly smile and demeanor, his extensive knowledge about Bollywood and Mumbai, and his attention to their needs, Ishan kept them in good spirits all day long.

He arranged suitable dining opportunities for the students who were tentative about trying new things, and the Indian buffet for the rest of us was DELICIOUS!

I felt safe, my students felt safe, and we laughed a lot. The students were impressed by his knowledge, his kindness, his sense of humor, and the fact that he treated their questions with respect…that isn’t always the case when adults speak to teenagers, so it is worth noting here.

We toured indoor and outdoor movie sets and took LOTS of wonderful photos. Thank you Ishan!

Visited February 2013
Jitin G, Owner at Bollywood Tours, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Its our pleasure to serve this group of school students,thank you for choosing us,we always try our best for complete customer satisfaction and yes the feedback written by you is like a big trophy in itself for us,we are very happy that you liked and enjoy the tour.

Paris, France
3 attraction reviews
“Bollywood tours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

With a friend we bought a tour in Mubai with the company Bollywood tours, we had a great time, they came on time two guides of the company, visiting the stars area and some of the studios we were able to see 2 shootings and a warm welcome

Congrats to the guidess

Visited December 2012

Hong Kong
4 attraction reviews
“Great tour, great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our tour guides (males) were so friendly and very enthusiastic. This is a must! We thought seeing bollywood studios were really cool, albeit we are young adults. Our tour guides fulfilled all of our wishes without complaining at all - and we were very demanding and curious about Mumbai so we asked for things like going to a jewelry bazaar, temple, dhobi ghaat, clothing market (where our tour guides accompanied us for 3 hours while we hunted for saris and jewelry!) The patience of these people were incredible! They were also never rude and even gave their honest input on prices, design etc. Incredible! Obviously we tipped them heavily at the end since we made them stay with us until 10pm, and they were surprised by the generous amount that they kept thanking us. These are great people and a great tour where they keep you safe but also allow you to see any reasonable part of Mumbai! I hope you all have an amazing experience as we did!

Visited January 2013
Jitin G, Owner at Bollywood Tours, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank alot for choosing us,we always try our best for complete customer satisfaction and yes the feedback written by you is like a big trophy in itself for us,we are very happy that you liked and enjoy the tour.

Arlington, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Great tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We enjoyed this tour. There are hundreds of movie studios in Mumbai and you all get a view of a single studio (or a location shot--we were given the choice and chose the studio where television shows were being shot). But still, you are seeing televion and movie production in action. The criticisms here really aren't fair. You are a visitor at the studio, but treated very well--and get up close and personal.

Visited November 2012