“Had the Best Time...” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Approved by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, and listed on Maharashtra Tourism website. Listed in Frommers, Lonely Planet and many international magazines. Pioneers of walks and insightful tours of the city.
New York
“Had the Best Time...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I inquired very early one morning via email and it was quickly responded to by Deepa and arrangements for a half day Mumbai local tour were made quickly. The guide's and my phone number were exchanged, based upon Deepa's recommendation, which proved very handy later on, since my cab driver didn't drop me off close enough and I had to call the guide.

The guide, Farida, was very knowledgable, a pleasure to be with, and I had a great time. I learned a lot about the history of Mumbai, and marveled at the very interesting stories about how various buildings and structures came into being. When Farida became concerned that waiter service was delayed at our lunch location, I realized that my tour was not delayed at all. Having a chance to chat with her, learning about how she lives her life and what's important to her was probably the most valuable part of the tour!

I was very lucky finding Mumbai Magic... I couldn't imagine a more rewarding or fulfilling time!

Penang Island, Malaysia
“Mumbai by day, story of Mumbai”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Very quick, professional and pleasant to respond to my first email. We choose this tour because we did not have much time. It was really worth it. Your tour is being organised according to your own personal preferences. The excellent driver (and I have seen a few not so excellent ones in my little time in Mumbai) and the guide picked us promptly up at 9 from the hotel. The guide was very pleasant, polite and knowledgeable. Being for the first time in India we had quite a few questions, but she could answer them all. We decided to spend a little more time at one of the landmarks, and that was not a problem at all. The guide quickly adjusted the tour. Very impressive. We had a wonderful time and we were able to see quite a few things in Mumbai.

Toronto, Canada
“Dharavi Slum Tour (i.e. where Slumdog Millionaire was filmed)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I joined this Mumbai Magic tour after finding out from Reality Tours that their Dharavi Slum Tour would not happen since I was the only 1 signed up for it on that day (they said that they would only do a tour if there was a minimum of 2 people). Deepa from Mumbai Magic was responsive to my e-mails and courteous in giving me quotes for her various tours offered. She informed me that I was the only 1 signed up for that tour that day (same situation as Reality Tours), but suggested that I could still do it for 1,200 INR (an option not offered by Reality Tours). I accepted.

My tour guide was Salman, an early 20s physics student who was born and raised in the Dharavi area. The 2.5 hour or so walking tour starts and ends at Mahim Junction station. It covers the various industries (actually a $1B USD, self-sustaining economy) and living conditions located in the Dharavi Slum. Salman was familiar with the area and great at describing the happenings. He seemed to personally know the various industrial workshop owners, so we were able to walk-in, take a look at what they were doing, and have a chat about the industry while in the workshop - ALL HASSLE-FREE. He is a normal, genuine and honest university student (we even had a chat about girl troubles), so you really have nothing to worry about. Overall, great tour, safe and highly recommended.

Bangalore, Karnataka, India
“Elephanta and Dharavi Tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been on three tours with Mumbai Magic and what I have to say is that whichever tour you are to choose, you will not be disappointed as you will spend time with a highly engaged professional who loves what they do. Each of the guides that I have had truly does this out of a love for the city and a passion to share their wealth of knowledge and wonder. The tours themselves have each been far more than my expectations and always left me wanting to do more. I was a bit hesitant to do the Dharavi Tour as I felt that I would be that cliche American staring in aghast at the poverty of the slum; paying for the experience of being in a place that I could step out of but others were confined to for life. Suffice to say that my own experience was quite the opposite. Met many people who were quite proud of what they do, they know from the experience of others who have come before that their skills are worthy of praise. It was wonderful to understand that this is a world in and of itself and really does not deserve the name "slum". So if you are having reservations about this tour, please don't, it is a wonderful experience!

East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Jewish Heritage and City Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Professional, curteous, knowledgeable, informative, polite, flexible....I could go on and on about my guide Sandhya for the tour I took (on Deepa's recommendation) in April 2012. We saw the major sights of Mumbai with an extra focus on Jewish sites in the city. Sandhya and I had incredible conversations about Judaism, Hinduism, Islam and, based on my interests, she took me "off the beaten trail" to visit a Jain temple (amazing) and a Parsee Fire Temple (outside only, of course). I learned so much about the culture and religions of India, and I think I taught Sandhya a few things about my religion, as well. It was truly a great time and a memorable experience.

Visited April 2012