“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Svenska Design Hotel, Mumbai (Bombay)

You added Svenska Design Hotel, Mumbai (Bombay) to your Saves list
Svenska Design Hotel, Mumbai (Bombay)
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   SAB TV Road, Off Link Road | Opposite Laxmi Industrial Estate, Andheri West, Mumbai (Bombay) 400053, India   |
Offers & Announcements
Offer: Rs.5,120 per night
Ranked #34 of 396 Hotels in Mumbai (Bombay)
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Hi,
I am Hiral Shroff, a regular guest of Svenska, is Very happy with the stay in hotel every time I come. The service n staff is really good. It makes my stay
kmemorable every time. I always see to it that I suggest my friends also for this venue for wonderful experience. The ambience of the room also is very good . Thanks a lot for such a good service to your guests. it up.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed in this hotel last month, yes a little bit late my review but I have to do it anyways.
I was in Mumbai for a conference so, my review goes for those who are planning to stay in Mumbai for a few days this hotel is way out of the main beating track.

To move from the hotel to any of that touristic points you must take a taxi, deal with the traffic, and deal with the prices. If you are adventurous enough you can also take a tuk tuk but once again the traffic is really bad there.

If you are on a business trip, this hotel is good staying at, be aware that if you want a window to scape downtown it will take you a good while to get there and not cheap if you take a taxi.

The hotel itself is good, service room was good, so it was their food, their wifi worked well, friendly staff too.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Durban, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stayed at Svenska Design Hotel for one night in 2013 because I was led to believe it was the best five star hotel in the area, in close proximity of the lavish shopping areas. I had booked the hotel two weeks prior to my arrival in Mumbai, India from Durban, South Africa.

The location was brilliant, no doubt of that, even though it took the local blue taxi cabs about 1/2 hour, roaming around the area to find the hotel. The taxi was booked at the Mumbai International airport with the prepaid taxis.

Any how, when I made the booking two weeks prior, I stipulated, in fact I emphasized that we will be arriving two hours before check in time and because we will be dead tired from a long international flight, I would appreciate that my room be in readiness. I even phoned two days prior to confirm this and the receptionist said that I should not worry, the room will be available for me as soon as I arrive.

Hold and behold, even though I arrive at check-in time the room was not available. Firstly, the receptionist was rude and made about 10 calls to the in house cleaning services, to get a room ready. After waiting in the very tiny reception room, for an hour and a half, I was then directed to my room. This was after the 2pm check-in time.

I found this to be ridiculous, especially after giving ample notice. The rooms were beautiful and up to international standards. however, the view of the opposite construction was an eyesore. The bathroom and bedding were clean and they were sufficient supplies.

The other issue I had with the hotel, was that my booking included a massage which I did not receive. In fact, this was one of the reason I booked this specific hotel compared to any other in the area. When I left the hotel about 5pm to go shopping, I had booked the masseuse for 7.30pm. At that time, the receptionist said it was "perfectly fine". When I arrived back to my room, and called for the massage, at 7.30pm, another receptionist said that the masseuse had left. When I mentioned that I had booked at 7.30pm, she said there was nothing she could do and refused to compensate me.

The third issue was the breakfast. I had to leave at 4am the next morning to catch a flight, and on my booking two weeks prior I placed special mention that I will be leaving at 4am and if they could organise breakfast a bit early for my mum and I. Again, when I phoned to confirm they said that it was not a problem but when it came to crunch, they backed down.

To many this may be small matters, but it is the principle behind it. Don't promise something (especially my case where they confirmed) and could not deliver.

The service was pathetic however, the cleanliness and location of the hotel was impressive

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ZeshZed, Owner at Svenska Design Hotel, Mumbai (Bombay), responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Reviewer, firstly thank you for your positive comments about our hotel, rooms, location and cleanliness. But most importantly, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you had to face and though you might be mentioning these as "small matters", but we are extremely concerned and sorry about this. We going to investigate this thoroughly and take immediate corrective action to avoid any such issues in the future. Though it might be too late for us to rectify the situation for you, but we take this opportunity to invite you to stay with us in the Svenska Hotel of your choice with our compliments as a goodwill gesture. Not only will we not charge you for your next stay, but we promise you that you will face no such issues ever and we will do our very best to ensure you only carry away only good memories of your stay. Again, we are extremely sorry and sincerely apologize and hope you will give us a chance to make up for this in your next stay.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Originally booked in for a night, this extended to the whole week. The location was spot on for my requirements, which was a city break, whilst travelling to other areas of India. I stayed here on my own, all the staff were attentive and always polite and helpful. Especially on one of the days where I wasn't in good health. Room service when used was quick, and the housekeeping was great. Even folded my messy clothes for me. A great thank you to the lady who checked me in and the 2 other guys at reception who helped with questions when needed. If I'm ever back in town, which I am sure I will be, I'll be sure to make a visit!
The beds were extremely comfortable, I always think its important to have a good nights sleep! The pillows nice and fluffy along with the duvet.
The only thing I would make a suggestion for the rooms is a full length mirror!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Navi Mumbai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I was on my project trip in Mumbai for a week with my husbandand we booked at svenska, It was an memorable stay with warm hospitality through my stay by each one of the staff, It was like a food festival over there with different outlet & lots options to choose, Rooms are lovely & excellent interiors which suits all kinds of travellers, The Asst Front office Manager & front desk staff ( Chris )are very co-perative & helpful, If I get a chance to visit again I will definitely go for the same & also suggest all my friends who visit bangalore to be hear

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My business meets @ Lakshmi Industrial area always end with a luncheon & I have always celebrated signing & sealing deals here!
Food is great
Service is personalised
What else could one ask for ?

My only complaint They don't have a 24 hour cafe !

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at Svenska Mumbai for a couple of nights on a recent trip with family. Firstly, the entire experience fell short of expectations at various counts:

- Pick up (on chargeable basis) from the Airport was timely, but there were at least 2 instances on our way to the hotel where the driver was taken to task by others on the road for being rash and negligent.

- Check in was prompt, but I had specifically requested for 2 keys to my hotel room. I was promised that it will be sent to my room, but never happened.

- In-room dining is heavily overpriced even by Mumbai standards. Food is mediocre, barring a couple of dishes. By the way, the pizza here is really good.

- The phone lines to your butler, reception, house keeping, in room dining, etc is predominantly busy. Besides, you have to deal with the pain of speaking to more than 1 person to get something done. I did have some pleasant experiences with a few staff, but the remaining were so unpleasant that I easily forget the good.

- Part of the deal is a complimentary foot massage, which is heavily advertised. Nevertheless, the masseur is never available. (Can say this as they kept saying the masseur is not in for the entire duration of my stay!)

- The complimentary breakfast is so mediocre and leaves a lot to be desired for. That said, the staff at the restaurant are attentive and try their best to take care of your needs.

- The botched up my drop back to the airport. As is customary at this hotel, I spoke to 3 different people to say that I will be checking out earlier than my flight time, but will need the car to stay with me as I will be visiting friends for lunch before heading to the hotel. I even reconfirmed this at the time of checkout - Nevertheless, I had someone calling me from the hotel in an hour's time to release the car ASAP as another guest needs to be dropped to the airport. Incidentally, they had charged me for keeping the car (they call it "package") at the time of checking out!

- This is a very conveniently located hotel and houses some of the good restaurants in Mumbai. Unfortunately, the Hotel is a little too tight on space, so the (non existent) lobby does get too crowded during busy hours.

I am left with mixed feelings about this hotel and wouldn't confidently recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
ZeshZed, Owner at Svenska Design Hotel, Mumbai (Bombay), responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Reviewer, thank you for sharing your views and for your positive feedback on the staff and the pizzas at our hotel. We apologize for the aspects that fell short of your expectations and assure you that we are looking into each of the areas you mentioned and will do our best to ensure that your next stay is as memorable as our other guests. Btw, wrt airport drop, you had requested for a quick 5-mins stop-over to say hi to a friend on the way; but when you didn't return to the vehicle for over an hour, we had to call you so that the drop can be completed as you had only booked the car for the airport drop. Would also like to mention that as a goodwill gesture we did NOT charge you anything despite the 1.5 hours stop-over. Would also like to use the opportunity to point out that we offer complimentary in-room spa treatments to all our guests and always get great feedback on that. Unfortunately due to your tight schedule, your spa treatment couldn't be done and we assure you of additional treatments in your next stay.

Been to Svenska Design Hotel, Mumbai (Bombay)? Share your experiences!