“Wouldn't go if I were you” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Imperial Palace 1
45, Telly Park Road | Andheri East, Mumbai (Bombay) 400069, India   |
Ranked #172 of 263 Mumbai (Bombay) B&B and Inns
Helsinki, Finland
“Wouldn't go if I were you”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

We had only a few hours to sleep between flights, so we booked a hotelroom at the Mumbai airport (first mistake, I guess) for our last night in India. It was more than twice the price we had payed for any hotelroom in India before (well we were going budget, but still), 3200 rupias, but we were so tired, still sick from delhi belly and short on time, so we took the easy option.
(of course the travel agency took big bucks too, but still)

The whole place smelled dirty and moldy from the second we stepped inside the lobby. The staff seemed to be fed up and tired.
The credit card machine wasn't working, and for some reason that seemed to be my fault. I had confirmed at the airport that I could pay for the hotel room with my card since I had almost no cash, and they told me it was no problem. Still the guy at the reception wanted me to pay for the room in advance, and go to the ATM at 01 am. I wouldn't, and told him we'd try the machine the next morning then.

The hallways were disgusting, and when we got to the room I wanted to start crying. Like I said, we were budget travellers, and really hadn't had any real luxury before either, but this was absolutely the worst. The room smelled awful, the sheets and towels were dusty, moist and had stains on them. I couldn't put my head against the pillow, since it smelled so bad. The whole room seemed to have suffered from major water damage, the furniture was old and broken. The whole room was so dirty and uncomfortable, that if we hadn't already paid a 1000 rupias advance at the airport and if we had had even a little energy, we would have walked right out of there.

The bellhop started complaining about my friend tipping too little and wouldn't leave until we gave him all the last cash we had. At this point I was so tired and disappointed with the hotel I actually started crying...

The next morning the wake up call never came.
All we got from the reception when leaving was an order to go to the ATM on the way to the airport and pay the driver. No apologies for the inconvenience, no thank you for your stay, no nothing. On the way to the car the bellhop was yelling for tips, and we had to tell him we already had tipped all of our cash last night. "Get ATM tips for me, money, give driver he give for me, tips tips tips tips!!!"

So that was the nice and fancy "three stars hotel" we got for our last night. I do not recommend this place to anyone. Rude and arrogant staff, dirty rooms and actually nothing good to say about this place.

• Liked — It was close to the airport
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

Actually this is a nice hotel. Near Chowpatty market, walking distance to the Gate of India, the train station, restaurants, etc.

Hotel has hot/cold water.

Unfortunately the hotel has BED BUGS!!! If not for this, I liked this hotel and would otherwise stay.

So, be warned.

• Liked — convenient location, reasonably priced
  • Disliked — bed bugs
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Imperial Palace 1? Share your experiences!