“Good option for Mysore” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
new york
“Good option for Mysore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Hotel Orchid Metropole grows on you. A charming property on a busy road it is a clean, comfortable place to stay for a couple of nights to catch the sites of Mysore. Our first roomwas small but very nice and the bathroom was great - unfortunately the air conditioning didn't work so after complaining they moved us into a suite! I guess it was what they had available. The suite had 2 units to cool it and it worked well...so we got a good nights sleep with A/C - The lunch menu is limited to either the buffet or sandwiches - the buffet is good but who wants to eat that much food in the middle of the day?! The sandwiches weren't anythign to write home about but were just okay. The dining room is not very cheery - a bit dark and institutional looking but service is great and the breakfast is good. Dinner in the courtyard at night is lovely - tables are candle-lit and food from the grill is excellent. Grilled fish is well prepared and the breads are wonderful. Service is great when there isn't a large group. The pool is very small but clean. There are only a handful of chairs with nice cushions and fresh towels. Good for a cool off dip after touring the sites but definitely not a place to hang out for long - right beside the busy road on one side and the holding area for drivers (lots of loud talking) so it is very noisy - but surrounded by green and trees so at least masks the road and traffic somewhat. The manager on duty, Hari was brilliant - the room change was instant and handled well. Several requests for confirmation on flights were promptly handled. Internet is not free and was around 650 rupees for 24 hours including taxes (they are high in Karnataka). Staff at reception, housekeeping and restaurant staff are cheerful and eager to please. I would definitely recommend this hotel for those traveling in Mysore. Charming and feels like a guest house. Seems like many Americans and British stay here.

Room Tip: Check the AC unit before settling into the room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012

Greetings!!!!

with us.l. I have shared your positive comments with the team members and they are really motivated . Based on your review we will work towards bettering our services.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Mysore.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Mysore, Karnataka, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Hello,

We visited their restaurent on 24th March 2012. There was some French batch of 40 people in the restaurant making all noises and all waiters were towards those two tables. It was embrassing for me as I had taken guest and made them wait for more than 1 hour to get the main course. I respect foreign guests they are guest to our nation no doubt. But this hotels neglects other customers and treats with similar attitude of one time tourist visitors even to local visitors. I had to be furious to shout and get the attention. These days if customer is unhappy..they serve some free deserts and salads as complimentary.This made me intolerable. As a customer I am happy to get the value for money in their best services. But by giving deserts as complimentary it made us unhappy further more as they bribed me. I don't know what's the logic. People go to this place for the ambience. But reception and service is not welcoming at all ever. For one time customer is okay. Interestingly, even door man will not bother to smile or salute. My request to this hotel treat everyone equally,because everyone pays same. Treat Indians also with respect and dignity. I respect KFC and Mc Donald in this regard - the youth smile,quickness to attend and respect or courtesy extended is also productionised along with their services...no tips.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you during the dinner. The concerns highlighted by you are grave and our management team has looked into the matter. At Royal Orchid Metropole, we value our guests the most and we will take every possible measure to ensure that such remote incidents are avoided . We look forward to welcoming you back .
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We ended up enjoying the Metropole the most - by a short head- of all the places in which we stayed when in India. This is not to suggest it is perfect and the beginning was inauspicious - no-one to meet us, took time to find someone to take cases etc. But it improved! Our room was on the 2nd floor and was large, clean comfortable etc although, as other have noted, the bathrooms are decidedly tired by current standards. It had a large, deep balcony which we much appreciated.The grounds were lovely and the pool ( think large plunge pool rather than one for serious swimming) when we were there, was well maintained (although the mattresses on the sun loungers could do with a clean).
The inside restaurant lacks any character but the coffee shop and outside dining have much more charm. Food was great - and good value so we ate there most nights which is unusual for us and the breakfast dosas are to be recommended. We found the bar to be fine and the best value by far of all the places in which we stayed- measure come as 60ml standard but prices same as elsewhere so better value.
This is not a 5* luxury hotel and sometimes we had to go and find someone to serve us in the bar - but as we were often the only people there this is fair enough- and improvements could be made in the overall running of the hotel. Rather it was the overall ambience that charmed us both in the setting, the structure and the courteous friendliness of the staff. Arrangements made in advance - and in secret- for my husband's birthday were all met ( I had had my doubts!) , our names were remembered and even our preferred drinks. We ended up liking it enormously but don't expect chain hotel slickness just yet!

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room with balcony
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you for sharing your experience while you stayed with us.
We value your feed back.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your feed back with our team , look forward to welcoming you back soon to the hotel.
East Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed her with colleagues, when we added a day of leisure to a business trip. Having stayed at the very modern, metropolitan hotel in Bangalore, this was a welcome change. It is a restored historic property, and is quite charming. This was recommended by some business colleagues in India, so unlike typical travels, I didn't use TA first. However, I was not disappointed.

The room is very spacious. My room had a couple of full-size bed pushed together (see photo). This was fine since I was alone. I'm not sure what they would have done if I had my wife. The room has an armoire for storage - not a lot of space. The desk is an older-style, and not really setup for laptop use. There is a semi-private outside seating area-semi-private, because while you have walls, they aren't full, so you can see your neighbor's area (and in my case, the corridor on the other side).

Surprisingly, it had a good sized flat-screen TV (which I didn't try), and wireless (not free, but pretty cheap) internet - which worked very well. The A/C and two ceiling fans made the room very comfortable.

The bathroom is large, and has an old-style footed-tub. It has the corresponding shower curtain that goes around the tub. All amenities (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc) were provided. The hot water seemed to be on demand - there was a wall switch that indicated it should be turned on 15 minutes before needed. It worked fine for me - I had plenty of hot water.

There was some street noise - you are right in the middle of Mysore and the property is not that large. My room was also adjacent to the outside restaurant, so there was some noise during the early evening. Nothing that bothered me.

They claim to have two restaurants - that might be true, but I could really make a distinction. There is an inside area, and then an outside area. I don't think there was a difference. Supposedly they have a bar and coffee shop, but I didn't check them out. We ate the lunch buffet, dinner outside, and the breakfast buffet. All were very good and the service was fine.

The hotel service was fine. None of us had any problems with the reservation or the service. Some of the help seemed new - like they were just hired and going through training, but no issues were observed. I mistakenly locked my safe without the password, and maintenance was very prompt and helpful.

The location is in downtown Mysore, but seemed a good walk from the Mysore Palace.

Overall, I thought it was very good. It was clean and comfortable, and had that historic look and feel that I appreciate.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to review us on Trip Advisor and for posting your compliments.

We are happy to note that you have had a great stay with us.

Look forward to welcome you back to @Royal Orchid Metropole,Mysore.

Regards
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

If you want to stay away from Mysore city this is a good place. Hotel itself is grand, location and views you get are great. However, staff were not very welcoming.
We booked thru Agoda, and we were taken to a room and then they tried to move us to a room which was not what we had booked for so did not like this at all. There was a smooth conversation about it and was resolved with ease, they let us stay in the previous room in the end.
Food in the restaurant was nice, Bar was not to the standard we were expecting and did not like them much.
Swimming pool is small and not very well maintained.
Rooms, we choose a King Room and was spacious, bathroom needs some work, as the hotel is quite old you would see signs of these. Rooms were spotless and garden view from the balcony was beautiful. Musical fountain is very much overrated but the garden as such is nice. It gets very busy over the weekend evenings so best to go there during the weekdays.

Room Tip: Pick rooms on 1st floor but near the Dam structure, as this has better view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
MetropoleHotelMysore, General Manager at Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feed back.We will certainly share your feed back with the team who are from Royal Orchid Brindavan hotel.

Kindly accept my apology for all the inconvenience caused while you stayed with us @ our Brindavan hotel.

Look forward to welcome you all back on your next visit to Mysore.
Toulouse, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Thanks to a previous TripAdvisor review warning, we requested and obtained triple confirmation of our reservation (they got the month wrong first time). Arrrived at Hotel to be received by Basil Fawlty reception staff who refused to believe we had booked (despite hard copy of booking confirmation), and told us to go somewhere else as hotel full!
After fuss got GM to check with central reservations who confirmed our booking, and 2 hrs later shown to our rooms. Mouldy wallpaper peeling in places, paintwork slapdash, but otherwise clean & spacious. GM did decent thing & offered us a meal on the house
Strangely, restaurant food & service were superb. Surreal internet charge !!!!

Room Tip: Use a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feed back.
We will certainly work on our shortfall ,so that we can meet all our guest expectations.

Kindly accept my sincere apology for all the inconvenience caused
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

spent wonderful nights here in feb 2012. very solid comfort and appointments housed within a colonial maharaja place done to house visiting british back in the day. Great large spotlessly clean rooms. Our room was upstairs with a balcony overlooking the city streets. Food was good with authentic tandoors. The pool was beautifully maintained and well situated. HIGHLY recommended stay in a truly wonderful city.

Room Tip: the upstairs rooms have a private large balcony with tables and chairs and some couches with a ceili...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback. We are happy to note you had a comfortable stay with us.l. I have shared your positive comments with the team members and they are really motivated . We certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Mysore.

Been to Royal Orchid Metropole Hotel? Share your experiences!