“Serviced Apartment in Mysore, Karnataka, India: Urban Oasis” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Urban Oasis

You added Urban Oasis to your Saves list
Urban Oasis
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   #2761, 5th Main Road | V.V. Mohalla, Mysore 570002, India   |
Ranked #7 of 91 Specialty Lodging in Mysore
Saskatoon, Canada
“Serviced Apartment in Mysore, Karnataka, India: Urban Oasis”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were two couples and two children, visiting relatives in Mysore. While in Canada we booked the Urban Oasis apartments after visiting their website. When we reached the place we realized that the photographic description in their website did not tell the whole story. We rented two separate two-bedroom suites with kitchenette and living room. They were clean and had basic amenities. The crew were quite helpful, courteous, and pleasant. However, the front desk was not managed by any professional, the desk help was intermittent and mostly not well informed. The telephone connection was very poor and the TV in the suites never worked. The breakfast buffet was badly organized, skimpy and limited to toast, coffee and some fruits. There is no parking for the vehicles. Only parking on the crowded street. There is no restaurant service in the hotel. Apart from the breakfast, you will have to go out of the hotel for food. There are, however, good restaurants in the vicinity. It is in a good location in terms of shopping, restaurants, and general shopping. It is relatively quiet.
The tariff for the suites was more expensive than the ones we paid in Bangalore at the Orchard Suites.
I hesitate to recommend this place. Mysore is replete with good hotels and I believe, one can negotiate a good tariff for long term rental. Th serviced apartment scenario is slowly catching in Mysore but not there yet.

Room Tip: I am not sure if I can recommend any room here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

As a single woman traveling in India I am very particular about where I stay. Urban Oasis was very attentive to my needs and I felt very safe. It's a good location on a main road, close to shops, yoga shalas and bus stops. The air conditioning worked well which was my main reason for checking in. I really struggled with the heat in India in April.
The hotel was quiet. I could sleep. I did ask for a room away from the road. Be sure to request this if you are a light sleeper. If they cannot provide it believe me, it won't be lack for trying on their part.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Good experience, the food was good, complimentary breakfast, good clean rooms and reasonable prices too. Everything is good except the security watchmen are drunk at night. I got a 15% discount too. I would like to visit again. thank you

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at Urban Oasis in VV Mohala for about six weeks in Feb and Mar 2012.

The good:
The staff at Urban Oasis are really great. They are helpful, solicitous where their guests' welfare and the property is very well run and maintained. If there's something that isn't working in your unit, it will be fixed quickly and with no fuss. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment on the 2nd floor which they equipped with a gas stove and propane tank at no extra charge. The air conditioners in the unit worked well and the 24-electricity allowed us to stay cool and comfortable as the hot weather arrived. There's a washing machine for laundry in the basement which is a big plus. Housekeeping does a good job and our unit was always clean and comfortable.
VV Mohala is a nice area with many places to eat, a good supermarket a block away and quick access to the city centre.

The not-so-good:
If you are NOT keeping normal business hours, Urban Oasis can be quite noisy. Like many places in India, there is a lot of echoing as door open and close. Hard marble floors also amplify any movement of furniture from upstairs or downstairs neighbours. It's fine if your hours are in sync with other guests, but quite disturbing if you're trying to sleep. Housekeeping, while efficient, is also a major cause of noise during the day as the staff make their way from apartment to apartment.
As Mysore is a magnet for yoga students, if you need to wake up early and thus go to bed early, it can be very difficult to sleep at night or rest during the day. These will not be issues for working people working or for tourists visiting the sights, etc.

In conclusion, Urban Oasis is a great place to stay if you are in Mysore for work or want a very clean and comfortable serviced apartment rather than a hotel. In this scenario, we'd say 4 stars.

We would only warn yoga students that you will find it noisy and difficult despite the best efforts of the staff if they are waking up earlier than 6 am or trying to go to bed any earlier than 10 pm. For yoga students who need to wake up early and want to rest during the day, we'd have to say 3 stars.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible for quiet. The units on the 2nd floor can be equipped with gas stove...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Clean and spacious apartments. Prompt housekeeping service. Decent breakfast in common area daily. Location close to many restaurants and shopping on KD Road / Temple Road. Quiet and safe locality. Good for families on a weekend tourist trip and business visitors put up for a few weeks.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd or 3rd floor, private balconies are nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

If you are planning to stay for at least a month in Mysore (specially if you are an ashtanga yoga student) the Urban Oasis apartments are an excelent choice. It´s very close to the shala, you have privacy, it´s safe (you always have someone at the building day & night), cleaning twice a week, a very tasty indian breakfast and honest fair. The Wi-fi was very unstable and usually got down around 6 PM, returning only after 8AM, so I suggest getting an USB modem. The living room, kitchen, big bathroom and bedroom are clean and super OK for a longer stay, I only wished there was a sofa in the living (you have a table with 4 hard chairs) and TV in the bedroom (you have tv at living room. I would stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

As a solo female traveller I felt safe and reasonably secure at Urban Oasis.

Although I had booked and paid for the 1 bedroom apartment when I saw its location on the ground floor close to the Hotel entrance and the conditions of the apartment ( extremely basic ) and not very comfortable, I chose to change rooms, the team were extremely helpful in showing me various other rooms available for me to make my choice. I ultimately chose a standard room with a small balcony, although small it suited me better for my six week stay at Urban Oasis, although I was disappointed to now not have my own fridge but a communal one on the landing where people often used my ice and drinks etc. ( this was not very satisfactory, small fridges in the rooms should be an option ) Initial information given to me with regards to breakfast and other amenities was very poor and it took me myself a few days to work things out, ie. use of washing machine on roof and that one could have eggs made for breakfast etc. Also the first time I asked for directions when going out the reception staff were poor with information. But after a short time I soon settled in, became to know the cleaning staff, reception staff, security and even management who were all extremely helpful to me and ultimately tried to accomodate anything I might require. My room was kept spotlessly clean although some of the other areas could have been maintained better.

But, I would recommend Urban Oasis my findings were that if you ask they will help in any way, they just do not volunteer information. Might I say that Sunil one of the Managers was extremely helpful! But if I say I will return this must mean that it was good although there is room for improvement!!

Room Tip: If you like quiet be careful when choosing the apartment options as these are on the ground floor cl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Urban Oasis? Share your experiences!