“Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 95 Hotels in Shimla
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

It was a nice stay in Sunrise Villa. I visited in April 2012. Family room was very clean and the best thing was it was a kind of flat with two separate rooms. Which was best for me as I was with my family. You will not find this price anywhere in Simla. The hotel is a bit far from main Shimla but just a half an hour drive. Food options are not available. You need to eat whatever has been cooked but still nice as you do not need to look for the restaurants. The place is so quite that you can hear the sound of vehicle from far away.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I am still under the Shoghi-Sunrise Villa spell. In simple terms the Shogi-Sunrise Villa hangover is still not over. It would take us a week to get over it. Retuned last night from Shogi very reluctantly to a hell called Delhi. It would require poetic talent to pen down our Shogi experience. I wish I had that in me. But I would still try my best to do so.
My request to all, if you want to visit Shimla especially Dilliwallas, do by all means but don’t stay in Shimla. It’s just too crowded. Instead stay in this sleepy, calm small town/village called Shogi very close to Shimla. And no points for guessing where to stay, it has to be Sunrise Villa owned by the very decent, cultured & un-business like Aggarwals. But again a request to Dilliwallas if you choose to stay at Sunrise Villa, please leave behind in Delhi your typical attitude. Because at Sunrise you will encounter a lot of simplicity from the people who run the nice hill top villa. And this simplicity is genuine as the Aggarwals are like that ionly as are their employees.
It’s heavenly to stay at Sunrise, if you love simple people, serenity, silence & natural beauty at pocket friendly budget, then this is the place for you. The charges are very reasonable. The Villa is surrounded by hills carpeted with lush green grass & trees. From the front side balconies one can see the toy trains to & from Shimla passing all through the day. The beauty of the surroundings of Sunrise Villa is the fact that there are very few dwelling units around the villa that gives you a feeling that you are on the lap of nature…. I am at a loss of words to explain the feeling but if you want to know how it is then please plan a trip to Shogi & stay at Sunrise..
Sunrise offers big spacious rooms including family suites that we booked along with very clean bathrooms. Comfortable beds, big balconies all facing the hills. The salient feature of Sunrise is that though it isn’t a hotel, but the service & upkeep can give any budget or even two star hotel a run for their money. Cleanliness & hygiene are top class. I am personally very fussy about that. So full marks on that.
Coming to the food, it’s a simple “vegetarian only” affair. I would strongly suggest that one has the b.fast & dinner in-house only if you want to protect your stomach. The charges again are peanuts. Good food is always an issue on the hills. Here I must mention the guys who manage the kitchen, the sweet & hard working Shyam Lal & Narayan.. Not only they feed & serve you the way we are used to at home in the dining room, they run around a lot as bell boys, room service too. My suggestion - please tip these fellows when you leave Sunrise after your “memorable” stay as they too contribute significantly in making your stay that way. They do everything with a big smile on their face all the time without any expectation & they are not your “robotic waiters/stewards” of “hotels” that we encounter so often who have a plastic smile that turns real only when you tip them substantially out of compulsion (izzat ka sawal hai na bhai!)
Now a word about the Aggarwal family that runs the Sunrise….
The senior Mr & Mrs. Aggarwal, give you a feeling that you have come to your grand parent’s place. One can seat with the Aggarwals especially Sr. Mrs. Aggarwal in the evening in the courtyard & chat. They treated us & the kids with Plums grown in their garden. Complimentary!
Munish their son & his wife now manage the villa. Very soft spoken & accommodative people. In fact when it rained one of the days when we were there I requested the Kitchen if we could have “pakoras”, to our astonishment the Junior Mrs. Aggarwal (Munish’s wife) prepared it for us as their second cook was on leave & the ones available where busy preparing for dinner.

Go there and experience it all for yourself.

Sudipto Mookherjee,
New Delhi

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Dear Munishji,
Greetings !
Thanks for the lovely arrangements and hospitality during our family's stay at Sunrise Villa for one week ie. during last week.
The ambience , food ,water/ electric supply, daily house keeping besides morning / evening climate were all excellent.
We will cherish life long the memories of walks in the lap of nature on the road to Shoghi Station,
We liked the homely vegetarian food served in the dining room in addition to fast room service.
Please convey our congrats to your efficient staff....cooks, waiters, gardeners, office staff and everyone else.
Kudos and keep it up.
Kindly convey our thanks to your wife and parents for their continuous stupendous efforts round the clock to make guests comfortable. We definitely look forward to coming back and stay again with you in more comfortable climate as we found that the month of June has really become warm in Himachal Pradesh . Fortunately we were staying far from polluted Shimla (vehicles pollution and smoke from forest fires) and had a good time in solitude and serene atmosphere.
We are sure that the suggestions given for minor improvements will be taken care of.
With warm regards,
Sincerely yours,
Dr. Jyotsna & N.K.Sethi

New Delhi, Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

A group of 6 of us, with two children, stayed at Sunrise Villa for one night on 04 June 2012. When we arrived at 1 PM (1300 hrs), the rooms were still being cleaned. The person manning the office, was not very concerned about the delay that was being caused in handing over the rooms to us. We had to give him a piece of our mind before things moved.

Positives -
The homsestay is located in a picturesque location, away from highway traffic and the hustle-bustle of Shimla.
The rooms are decent and adequately furnished.
The food is homely and decently priced.
The Tara Devi temple located 3 km away is a nice challenging drive away and worth a visit.
One can spend a quiet day there, watching the scenery and reading.

Negatives -

Parking is scarce (only for 3 cars).
It takes more than 30 - 40 minutes to reach Shimla.
The people manning the reception are slack and did not seem to be very concerned about ensuring that guests were comfortable.
The two bedroom suite has only one bathroom.
The quality of towels and soap was not very good.

Room Tip: The two-bedroom suite (family suite) has only one bathroom. The ground floor room has no privacy in...
Sunrise_Villa, Owner at Sunrise Villa, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. The guest occupying the room checked out beyond 12:00 . noon so there was some delay in cleaning the rooms, we apologies for this. Regarding two room family suite we have published the layout and pictures of the suite on our website and also send the same to guests before booking so as to make them aware about the layout of the same. This is the link of the same: http://www.sunrisevilla.in/family-suite.htm.
The layout is self explanatory. The suite has separate toilet and bathroom and washbasin is there in the lobby for more convenience.
delhi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

i stayed in the hotel but soon I relize this is not for us infact that was gud for the stay of your pets the treatment of villas owners like very bad so i change my hotel within 12 hours there was a bad smell of sewar in all the rooms and surroundings never think to go there in such kind of hotels.

Room Tip: do not evene think to go such hotels or stay there for the pleasure trip do not recommend to any of...
Sunrise_Villa, Owner at Sunrise Villa, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Fake review, nothing to comment on the same.
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I had visited this place in the last week of may 2012 and this was a very good experience.
I was driving in my car from Delhi with my family and As this is on the way to Shimla the road condition was very good and was saved from peak shimla city traffic.

After a tiring drive of 300 odd Kms from Delhi, I was happier to see a home type setup where there was enough parking space and warm hosts and all necessary amenities.

I see this place as more of home stay than a formal hotel where you get friendly atmosphere and good home made north Indian food (note that Non veggies may face difficulties as they don’t allow Non veg food inside the campus& I hope alcohol too).

On 2 night 3 day stay here, we enjoyed the calmness, coolness, stunning and beautiful views of the valley (which is yet to be commercialized) and was at short distance from tara devi temple (whose driving experience itself would be a separate story)

This place is really good for family with kids as well as honeymooners.
They have a small lawn and few park chairs where you can relax and chat.

Almost 2 weeks later I have started missing this place, the calmness in the scorching heat dust and pollution of Delhi.

I am desiring to go there during this winter to enjoy what I miss in Delhi as well the slow clad mountains.

Thanks for your support and care by Sunrise villa team.

Regards, Vairavan PL

Room Tip: Ask for Valley view rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel is not in Shimla... I stayed there for 2 nights... Choose this one if you would like to escape for the crowd in Shimla. I had to pay Rs.300 for one way from Mall Road to this hotel. But its worth paying it as you will save on the accommodation. The hotel management helps in arranging taxi ride to go around Shimla. This more like a home stay. The view of the hills was great. You won't get see crowded Buildings... The place is actually a kilometer away from the Shogi railway station. I took RailMotor from Kalka to Shogi. So we told the driver to stop at Shogi. The other toy trains take you directly to Shimla. I have attached some photos I took from the hotel room

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunrise Villa? Share your experiences!