“A nice cosy hotel with a British touch” 4 of 5 stars

Clarkes Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Mall, Shimla 171001, India   |
Ranked #9 of 96 Hotels in Shimla
New Delhi, India
“A nice cosy hotel with a British touch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was the first Oberoi hotel which started the chain later after PRS Oberoi bought it on loan from a British couple.
This hotel is very old and most of the staff are old. The rooms are nice and big and comfortable and cosy. I have stayed here couple of times.
The staff are warm and friendly. Room service and food is great.
The location is good and is right on the mall road. Frequented by foreign tourists. The outer rooms facing the high court give a nice view of the valley.
Flip side: no car parking and you have to hire a porter to bring your stuff up to the hotel while you accompany him till the reception.
However, this place is highly recommendable though the rate is a little steep.

Stayed October 2013
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing your time and posting your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor.
We are happy to learn from your feedback that your visit to our hotel was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you were to your satisfaction.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused due to the parking & porter. We would like to bring up to date that we have our own parking area behind the hotel for future visits.
I once again thank you for your feedback. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Clarkes Hotel, Shimla.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Faridabad, Haryana, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is at very good location and always choose rooms on second floor and mall facing.food is good and only issue is reaching at hotel.
However,pls ensure your booking done in advance and do try toy train from Simla to kalka .jakhu temple ,advance studies and chail is must visiting.
further,going to kullu , Simla can be a stop over for at least 2 days for relaxing and best time to visit can be suggested by all but worst are May n June as because of excessive urbanisation temperature soars a lot.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us at Clarke’s Hotel, Shimla. We thank you your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay, it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.
I once again thank you for your kind words. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Shimla and every endeavor will be made to ensure that Clarke’s Hotel becomes your home when visiting this city.
We look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits and assure you of our best attention at all times.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

firstly, there is no access to the hotel via any means of transport, only way to reah is stairs or upward climbing road, and u have the bear the porterage charges. next, lives upto the name of a grand heritage hotel with its british style construction and grandeur. rooms are well furnished, have satellite tv and are spacious. thanks to the british construction there is never shortage of light and for those who feel hot, there are table fans all around. next up is food, which is PATHETIC. there were hardly any buffets cause of less occupancy and a la carte was also a disaster add to that the sky high costs of food for being a heritage hotel. location wise ideal, very close to mall road and church.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are happy to learn from your feedback that your visit to our hotel was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you were to your satisfaction, your comment on quality of food was of great concern to me.
I would like to assure you that your feedback shall be dealt in all seriousness it deserves.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Clarkes Shimla is placed at a great place...just at the start of the Mall...the main attraction of Shimla!! Having personal parking space is always a great advantage in a crowded place like Shimla during the peak Season. The staff is very polite and the ambience of all the rooms is wonderful. The food is also quite good, although we did try the normal punjabi diet : Butter Chicken with Dal Makhani. The breakfast, although not a lavish spread, but is reasonably good. The view from the Hotel is beautiful the moment you step out. A few things can be worked out on such as we stayed in the suites, unfortunately there are no Exhaust fans in the toilets, which are a must. Further with Indians preferring to use water instead of toilet paper, the hotel could provide Water Jets on their Toilet Seats. The billing can be trying...we had booked everything on the phone and got the confirmation by email, but still there was some billing problems at the time of check out which lasted for nearly an hour and half sorting out. The task of driving down back to Delhi was delayed much beyond our expectations as the traffic increased tremendously on our way back. Over all, the hotel is certainly worth every penny you pay for. The staff is very courteous and polite. The Hotel provides porters to carry luggage to the main gate which opens on the mall from their parking lot. Rooms are spacious and the property is a Heritage Hotel thus not having any lifts between fllors, the first owned by the Oberoi's Group. Games for Children are there and the toileteries are the best, at least for the suites, I know. Overall a very satisfying experience barring the hitch during the Billing time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Suites which were two floors down. Very very spacious rooms. But I did manage to ha...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are happy to learn from your feedback that your visit to our hotel was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you were to your satisfaction, your comments on quality of food, quality of housekeeping maintenance and check-out were of great concern to me.
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in June 2014. I recommend travellers who make reservations with them be aware they are potentially fraudulent. We booked a room and were categorically informed (3 times) that an extra bed is part of the package. When the bill was presented they charged us almost INR 1,000 per day for the extra bed.

Their reservations agent refused to come on the phone to resolve the issue.

I finally held my ground and was assured they would remove the extra charge from my card.
I just checked and they have charged the full amount.

How much more fraudulent can a hotel be?

Stay away---while I was there there were 3 other guests protesting their bills--a bar charge and breakfast.
Will keep you all updated on how they resolve my case.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are happy to learn from your feedback that your visit to our hotel was pleasant and comfortable and that the facilities provided to you were to your satisfaction, your comments on check-out & billing of extra bed were of great concern to me.
punjab
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I have spent one night at the hotel and have one more to go. But I am very dissapointed with the very poor view from our suite due to construction work near the High court building. I guess you cant blame the hotel entirely but then such a dismal view certainly does not command the price charged by them.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,
Your comments have been well noted regarding the noise. We will take this into considerations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay.
Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed in Clarkes in mid June. It is heritage hotel and one should not expect too much from it like swimming pool etc. The property is very well maintained and the staffs are very polite and humble. The food was good. We have ordered pizza and sandwiches for kids and it took around 30-40mins to deliver but taste was awesome. I never had such fresh pizza anywhere in Delhi. The buffet was OK but I would suggest to explore other options available outside hotel. Highly recommend if you want to experience the old era.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Clarkes-Shimla, General Manager at Clarkes Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay; it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.

Been to Clarkes Hotel? Share your experiences!