“Most friendly hotel I have ever stayed in.” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chaura Maidan, Shimla 171004, India   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 96 Hotels in Shimla
London
“Most friendly hotel I have ever stayed in.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I spent three weeks travelling around Northern India, staying in a mixture of Taj and Oberio hotels plus 'heritage' small hotels. Of the big chain hotels, all provided immaculate service as you would expect at this level but it was impersonal. Staff had been trained to smile, to ask if there was anything you needed. However, at the Cecil the feeling was entirely different. The smiles were there but seemed genuine and warm. Nothing was too much trouble, any request was met with instant attention. For example, my husband had planned on taking the narrow gauge train down for a few stops as the scenery from the train is famous and the experience said to be .... 'ineresting'. One of the charming receptionists, Nehar had been chatting about our plans for the day and I had told her about his proposed trip just as he set off in the hotel car which takes you down to their parking garage close to the station. When he arrived at the garage the attendant handed him the phone. On learning our plans Nehar had gone to the trouble to call the station to check ticket availability, which had never occurred to us, and found that none were available so wanted to save him the walk to the station and disappointment. That is what I call going that extra mile. Also noteworthy was the food. The chef, Arun Katocha made a habit of coming out of the kitchen to chat to guests, discuss their preferences and twice created dishes purely to our tastes. They were delicious and of very high quality.
The hotels location is about half an hours walk from the traffic free Mall, and all uphill, but at least that means it's all downhill on the way back! The roads to the Mall are severely restricted to traffic. We noticed a couple of hotels actually within the Mall area, but nothing of Oberoi standard. As we had a driver we did not experience a problem as he could take us along the main road which is not restricted to traffic and drop us off at the public lift which takes you up to the Mall.
Views from the hotel are spectacular. Our room was on the front overlooking the road and carpark but even so we had a view beyond that to mountains. Rooms on the back would have unrestricted mountain vistas. Our only concern about our room which was large and comfortable was that the hairdryer wire pulled free and on investigation it had been attached to a connector with sticky tape. Not very safe wiring anywhere, particularly in a bathroom but I have to admit it seems to be standard in India. And during our stay several families with small children were also resident.The building has a central atrium the height of the building with all rooms having their doors opening off internal balconies around that, It is marble floored and a stunning feature but parents did seem prone to allowing their small children to run off their energy in the morning around the balconies which then echoed and disturbed our sleep. Perhaps we were unlucky in our fellow residents and you can hardly expect a hotel to instruct parents to discipline their children.
My only real complaint is not specific to this hotel but the overall policy of Oberoi to charge for WiFi access. It costs them nothing, but they levy a hefty fee, far from nominal which is pure profiteering and I can't understand why when service to guests in all other areas appears to take priority.
I would love to return to India, particularly Shimla and the only hotel there I would consider would be the Cecil.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing time and posting a review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback has further motivated my team in providing sincere, unobtrusive and warm service from the heart and your suggestions are most valuable.

I am pleased the Neha at Concierge and Chef Arun Katoch were victorious in their moment of truth. It is adelight to reccieve such appreciation.

I have made note of the loose hair dryer cord in your room. This has been a lapse on part of us. We have had the hair dryer properly fixed now. I assure you that this a deviation and not a norm in our hotels.

I have noted your feedback regarding disturbance due to children and provision of free wi-fi connectivity.

We do make an attempt to speak to parents of unruly children. However, it seems we were not very successfull at that. I have briefed my staff to be more attentive and proactive in future.

Wi-fi connectivity at our hotel is provided by an external agency who operates the software and has commissioned the hardware for it. They in turn have leased teh band with from another vendor. Due to this multiplicity we have been unable to provide complimentary w--fi access to our guests.

Your feedback is valuable for us in our endeavor to provide excellence. I once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Shimla.

e-mail: srikant.peri@oberoihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Castle Rock, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We stayed at the Oberoi Cecil hotel in Shimla during our recent trip to India. The hotel is beautiful -- stately and elegant. The staff is very attentive and even arranged a day trip with driver for us to the temple at Taradevi. (They even sent someone to the train station to get tickets for us!) We stayed in a deluxe room on the top level (fifth floor), which I highly recommend. The room had a vaulted cieling with wood beams, wood floors and a large bathroom. The restaurant has great Italian food (as well as Indian), and the best risotto I've eaten outside of Italy!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am please that you enjoyed the stay at our hotel and that the services and facilities were upto your expectations.

The Chef is delighted to hear of your appeciation of his Risotto!! He has recommended Risotto to at least 5 guests between yeaterday and toady!!!

Madison WI USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

From the moment I stepped into this hotel, it took my breath away - the interior is gorgeous & then the view from the rooms was even more spectacular! I loved our suite, it was elegant & comfortable. I also liked the pillow "menu", as I have allergies to feathers. Staff was prompt at bringing the requested pillow. In room service for breakfast came at exactly the time requested. I liked placing the order on the door & having it arrive in the morning. The entire staff was friendly, helpful & courteous. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed September 2010
Oberoi_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, October 12, 2010
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to note that you had a memorable stay at The Oberoi Cecil and enjoyed the comfort of our suite along with the facilities.

Our pillow menu has been developed with a view to address allergies or special requirements that our guests might have. I am pleased that it was of use to you.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

It is difficult to do justice to this hotel in a few sentences-but i'll do my best! The hotel is a beautiful building set in an exceptional location with wonderful views across the valleys and mountains. It has all the facilities to be expected of a hotel of this class including an indoor swimming pool (nice and warm!) itself with beautiful views from its picture windows. However what leads me to describe this place as incredible is not just the building but the staff who, without exception, went out of their way to ensure that my wife and I had a really fantastic experience. From the moment we arrived-greeted personally by name, to the send off at the end of our visit, everything that could possibly be done for us was done.These were not staff going through the motions of asking if we were having a nice stay etc-they were all genuinely concerned to ensure that everything was being done to ensure that our stay was most enjoyable.
That sort approach, in my experience, filters down from the management-and if you have the chance to meet the General Manager, Srikant Peri-you will see immediately that his bubbly personality has no doubt motivated his staff.
The proof of the pudding is, as they say, in the eating. We had booked for three nights but stayed for five. We hope to return one day.
My advice to those reading this note-if you are going to Shimla-go to the Cecil-you'll love it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear Guest,

The core belief of the Oberoi Group is that it is the people and not the brick and mortar that separates a fine hotel from a good hotel.

Your feedback has further motivated my team in providing sincere, unobtrusive and warm service from the heart.

Your appreciation of my leadership is flattering. I humbly accept it and share it equally with all members of my team, who make it possible.

I am pleased that Oberoi Hospitality could make a difference to your wife's and your holiday in India. I thank you for sparing time to provide a review of our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Shimla.

Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

This hotel provides you with a beautiful view of the valley. Also, the facilities inside the hotel are up to the mark. For example, the heater facility in the hotel, helps you to mitigate the coldness of the climate at the night. The programme organised by the troupe at the hotel was awesome. The interior decoration also gives u a feel of being in the Himachals...

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Oberoi_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to note that you had a memorable stay at The Oberoi Cecil and enjoyed the view and the facilities.

leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

This is the way to run an hotel. Well appointed with staff who know what they're doing, great food, what else could you ask for.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Oberoi_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for appreciating our team for the way in which we operate our hotel.

The time spared by you to provide feedback on Trip Advisor is highly appreciated by my team and me and motivates us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Shimla.

Chandigarh, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

This trip was a gift from my Brother Diljeet and Family, The service of the hotel is fantastic, the staff bend over backwards to make you feel welcome and yet don't overdo it ! The stay was relaxing, there was enough for the kids to do in the activity centre and the Swimming pool. Several rooms including the pool and restaurant overlook the green valley, you can spend hours gazing out (though we did not have the time to do so !) The food is excellent, the staff courteous. The rooms are spacious and very relaxing, though you have to be cautious of not letting the monkeys in and sharing your room sans your approval / permission ! Cecil is located well, most of the places we visited were also within a range of 20 kms. There is much to visit , much to see, you would need a whole week to enjoy the place fully (we could only spare 3 days) If you would ask me to tell you what I liked about the place... my answer is everything !.... except that we could not find a large park or ground in campus to have our leisure walk, but with such lovely woods nearby you would not miss that too !!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Oberoi_Cecil, General Manager at The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla, responded to this review, September 4, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing time and positing a motivating review on Trip Advisor.

I am glad that we could contribute to the occasion of your family holiday.

I look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Shimla.

e-mail: srikant.peri@oberoihotels.com

Been to The Oberoi Cecil, Shimla? Share your experiences!