“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lodhi - The Garden Restaurant

Lodhi - The Garden Restaurant
Lodhi Road, Block M, Lodi Estate | Opposite Mausam Bhawan, New Delhi 110003, India
+91 11 2649 4531
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Liked this place and had dinner in the garden which we enjoyed very much. The food and the service was good and we have no hesitation in recommending this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Greek first
New Delhi, India
“Just Wow !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Awesome ambiance, nice location and naturally blessed.

So nice and enjoyable, we enjoyed a lot, Strongly Recommended for lovers. :)

Urbana, Illinois
“Terrific setting, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Two friends and I went to lunch at the Lodhi Garden Restaurant to celebrate the end of my three months visiting India. We started with outdoor seating, but when a light rain started, we moved inside. The second floor was quite nice with lots of windows overlooking the gardens. We sat, chatted, and ate a very nice meal. The staff was attentive, but not overly so. They didn't rush us and we ended up spending at least two hours there. The food was varied and tasty, and the desserts excellent (esp. the chocolate mousse). While sitting outside might have been more enjoyable, the nice views on a misty day were comforting from the warmth of inside. I recommend this restaurant for anyone who wants western food (mainly Italian) in a beautiful setting.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Delhi
“For the Love of Lodhi!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Lodhi- the restaurant is reminiscent of all things luxurious and beautiful, and a visit to their seafood festival held true to the much-deserved fame. We went for dinner on a Saturday night and every table on every seating area was either reserved or already occupied by indulgent diners! We couldn’t enjoy sitting under the pretty canopies on revolving cane chairs since there was a private party already in progress on that side of the restaurant. We were seated in the lovely half- fresco (if that is even a word) seating area. The seafood menu was short but packed with some drool-worthy dishes! And boy, were we in for a treat!

The servers are very friendly, and give you ample space and time to decide and choose. The Asst. Manager dropped in to say hello.

We as a group love to review restaurants and because we are always on the lookout for something new, our visit to Lodhi to write a review on its new seafood menu was quite exciting.

To begin with, the drinks were simply delicious! We ordered a White wine Sangria, Mai Tai, and Campari with soda. The sangria was sweet, airy with bunch of fresh fruits, Mai Tai was Mai Tai!!! (you cannot go wrong with a coconut flavoured drink ☺) and the Campari was lovely as a digestif with a strong taste of bitter orange at the end.

The chef, Elam dropped in to say hello and to tell us a little bit about the seafood menu. Having worked in Lodhi for over 8 years now and being aware of the kind of dishes that turns customers into loyalists, Elam believes that less is more. According to him, “the flavour of the meat is never overpowered by spices or dressing, but is only used to enhance the flavour.” This logic chimes well with out palettes!

First comes the soup- Bouillabaisse, which has its roots in Mediterranean and French (Marseille) cuisine. The soup has several kinds of seafood like prawns, fish, mussels, kalamari and is cooked in a light yet flavoured broth with tomatoes, onions & herbs. It is light, aromatic, and sets the stage for the other dishes to come.

Next was the appetizer. You simply cannot go wrong with fried seafood and mayonnaise- based sauce. This was delicious but does not really stand out as a wow dish.

The main course is where all the magic is! We first started with pan-fried cod and potato in a lemon butter sauce. The flavours are delicate and the fish is so fresh! They source their fish from Mumbai fresh every day and it shows in how the cod dances to the touch of the fork! The sauce was light and not overly buttery, which is wonderful! And the potato was HEAVEN! I know it is silly to praise a side accompaniment when the main dish is a delectable cod, but never have I tasted such delicious grilled potato! The cod, the potato and the sauce went very well with the mildly bitter blanched spinach on the side!

Next up is the char-grilled prawns. At Lodhi, when they say Jumbo prawns, they mean JUMBO prawns! This one was cooked the Indian way and served with fresh mint chutney. If you prefer Indian spices and flavours, this one is for you. My friends enjoyed it a lot, crackling even the crunchy grilled tip, for me, the cod was still better. But the next dish made me forget all about the cod!

Third dish was the oh-so-delicious red snapper in a DIVINE herb emulsion! It was roasted to perfection and the skin was delicious (check out the photos & you’ll know what I mean). But the emulsion (or dressing) was the winner. A strong flavour of olive oil with basil, parsley, oregano and rosemary hits you at first. And if you are crazy about pesto as I am, you will greedily attack the fish, as I did, and you will be happy that you pounced on it. This is my favourite dish of the night, and it went perfectly well with my white wine sangria. The three of us (sangria, snapper, and me) held hands, sang songs, and merrily walked up to my happy place! Such mild flavours, and such a fantastic dish!

Finally there was the char-grilled pomfret. Two huge pomfrets, fresh as they come, marinated with mustard, ginger and yogurt, grilled and served with slightly sweet tomato chutney. Fresh, tasty, and creamy! No one flavour overpowers the other and all the while you can taste the fish too. That is called perfection!

Finally, desserts! Not that we had any space in our greedy, gluttonous stomach; but then again, it was chocolate mousse & carrot cake, so we readily made some space! The carrot cake, moist with just the right amount of butter cream frosting, was in my opinion a winner! However, I am not a big fan of chocolate to begin with, so I could be a little biased here. I did find myself reaching for the mousse quite often, which doesn’t happen often. The mousse was airy and fluffy with a tinge of bitterness (don’t you just love bitter chocolate?).

Overall, what a splendid way to spend a Saturday evening! Lodhi is deserving of all the praise it receives and the spacious décor, friendly staff, and the absolutely delicious food makes it one of my favourite restaurants in Delhi.

Rating:
Food- 4/5
Ambience- 4/5
Value for money- 4/5
Do I recommend the place? YES!!! ☺

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Delhi, India
“The ambiance of the hotel is the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We went to the restaurant on a special occasion and found the ambiance of the restaurant to be exceptionally good. The food was also good and we got 20% discount on AMEX card. Highly recommended for special occasions.

• Visited May 2013