“Nice spacious rooms and quiet green spaces” 4 of 5 stars
Review of YWCA Blue Triangle Family Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
YWCA Blue Triangle Family Hostel
You added YWCA Blue Triangle Family Hostel to your Saves list
Ashoka Road, Next to Bangla Sahib Gurudwara, New Delhi 110001, India   |
Ranked #46 of 581 Specialty Lodging in New Delhi
London
“Nice spacious rooms and quiet green spaces”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed at the YWCA Blue Triangle off and on for about 3 weeks and got to sample 4 or 5 different rooms. In general I was pretty satisfied. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are surprisingly spacious and the newly renovated ones border on luxury--especially the bathrooms. Most of the doubles have a balcony as well. A couple of the rooms need new mattresses as the old ones are very hard. The free breakfast was really greasy and unhealthy and after a while started making me ill, so I'd give it a miss if you're staying for more than a few nights--this is really an area they could improve. The location is very convenient--a 5 minute walk from the metro and a leisurely 15 minutes to Connaught Place (though I simply don't understand what the attraction is there!). All around a very nice stay, and I'll be back next time I'm in Delhi.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Maastricht
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Located right in the heart of the city, it has compensated by cutting on the facilities offered. Rooms are old, furniture antique and fans noisy. I believe that one floor is called 'international' which is better but for most others, it is just a so so.
The hotel does not accept telephonic reservations and wants a check to be sent in advance which could be a big pain.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

If a central location in New Delhi is more important to you than high quality accommodation then this is the place to stay. The YWCA Ashoka Rd is right in the heart of the city. Pick up an auto rickshaw and see the sights. The rooms are spacious and clean, the staff are friendly and there is 24 hour check in and cafe. This is very cheap accommodation so don't expect too much. The downstairs rooms have newly refurbished bathrooms with good showers and hot water. Don't forget the earplugs, the noisy traffic is non stop.

Room Tip: Ask for a room downstairs.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

This place is pretty basic, but much to be preferred to the alternative budget YWCA property nearby, the International Guest House (at least until the latter finishes a renovation that I was told has now been going on for four years). The Blue Triangle can be noisy with sounds from the nearby temple, and the breakfast included with the B&B approach is pretty basic (think nescafe for your coffee); but for its price and reasonably good location (walking distance to Connaught Place) it's good value. In the course of 90 days in India on this visit, I stayed here 3 times, and would do it again unless I felt like a splurge elsewhere. (No elevator, however, so you may have to climb up two floors of stairs to get to your room; ask for a ground floor room if that over-taxes your abilities.)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Sarajevo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Staff is ultra friendly and helpful (especially night staff). Our room was huge, had a newly remodeled bathroom and balcony. The beds though were as comfortable as a a piece of plywood. After a few nights I got used to it. Other colleagues of ours had not so comfortable and spacious rooms. We lucked out I guess.

The meals were delicious and we even chose to stay and eat at the restaurant a couple of nights since the food was delicious and ultra affordable. Order the Vege Thali!!! mmmmm

The hostel is enclosed in a compound so you are completely safe. There are large lawns on either side of the hostel and a few times I took a book and sat in the sun to read and relax, no one bothered me.

The auto rickshaws from the YWCA to any other place in New Delhi should be about 60 to 80 rupees, max. But you have to barter the drivers down to get this price. Just tell them where you are going and then tell them your price. After a few times, they usually agree to your price.

Connaught Place is about a 10 minute walk away. Right next door to the YWCA is a Sikh temple which is definitely worth visiting.

Make sure to have plenty of small bills while traveling in India. NO one likes to give change.

Oh, and you can access the gym at the YMCA just around the corner. Just walk in and if the guard asks you, tell him you are staying at the YWCA. It is FREE!

Namaste!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Gurgaon, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We stayed in YWCA - Blue triangle hhostel for one night in Dec-2010. Earlier also we stayed there in three occassion. Roomsare big and compartivly clean. You can not expect the 4* category cozyness - but it is Ok type and homely. With better mangement it coul;d have been made cozy to stay. Very safe for family. Location is great - closeto CP. Foods in th restaurant is not great but "solta hai" type. They put lots of spice - which was not favourite for our family. Altogether it is worth value for money

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
beandelhi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

I read a review on this and thought that the person writing it was being unfair. After all it is a youth hostel. Having now stayed there her review could have been my own. The place has made me cross enough to write about it.

I got there and the the staff were very unfriendly, not a smile among them, the man who dealt with me was even glaring at me.

The room was nice thou, could have done with a lick of paint but otherwise clean there was a tv and a comfortable bed and an attached bathroom all very nice and reasonable or the cost.

However the tv remote didn't work and neither did the hot water. I complained the next day and they offered me a bucket of hot water. I'm sorry but I'm paying for a bathroom with hot water because I want a shower. They managed to get a trickle of hot water, not fast enough for a shower but enough to fill a bucket and wash.

The heater blew up when I turned it on, with a flash and a bang and smoke. When I went for dinner on the second night the food was barely edible and as I later discovered the waiters had charged me 20Rs for 15Rs water and claimed not to have 5Rs change so they cheated 10Rs out of me. When I challenged them they became quiet aggressive, as I was the only on in the restaurant I paid and left.

In Delhi as a single western female you spend all day trying not too get cheated or insulted. It would have been nice not to have had to deal with that at this apparently 'Christian' hotel.

Upon checking out they held me hostage claiming there was a towel missing from the room. I had to be somewhere and after 10 minute of this stupid towel business I walked out. At the gate I was stopped because they needed a checkout pass, which I hadn't got, by this point I didn't care if I never saw the place again but finally got away the checkout having taken half an hour.

The place had it's good points, I stayed for 2 nights and while the first night breakfast (watery porrige, cold toast) was vile the second one was very nice (ommelette, nice porridge warm toast) The tea served was stone cold.
The dinner food is fairly reasonably priced if pretty vile. The restaurant is a bit dank, think greasy spoon cafe and there was limited cutlery.

I'd say stay here but don't eat dinner here and check the hot water when you are shown your room and I hate to say it but I think if female, it would help to have a man with you to deal with the staff.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to YWCA Blue Triangle Family Hostel? Share your experiences!