“loved the shanti home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 608 Hotels in New Delhi
new york
“loved the shanti home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for one night only but really enjoyed the experience. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming, the room was clean and comfortable. The rooftop restaurant was awesome! great place for a drink and excellent meal prepared by their wonderful chef, Adil.

• Liked — rooftop restaurant
  • Disliked — no window in room
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

I stayed at this property for the second time. This time I satyed for ten days The hotel is as clean, pristine and superb as it was during my previous stay. The icing on the cake this time was that the owners Sanjana and Rajat observerd that my birhtday was on oct 10 they just planned a surprise party for me on the rooftop restaurant (lantern) that included the staff (chef Adil) the poliet and courteos wait staff and the ever efficient and unforgetfull front office staff of ms. puja and mr. anand the staff had fresh flowers for me in the room with a sweet card. The kitchen made speacial food and they managed to bring out the cake.
This time i used the hotel's staff to arrange the transport which I would suggest and stongly reccomend to all trvellers as the rates are very competitive and the drivers don't take you tounnecessary shopping stores where the locals try to sell crafts amd arts at exorbitant prices. So please go by the hotel's suggestion and take thier transport. The hotel is not trying to make money on the transport thier drivers are very courteos and well trained.
the sitar lessons in the second floor lobby were very refreshing.
Try the Ayurvedic Massgge. It is vigorating.They also hace a spa (A visting guest from england said for the money it was the best spa treatment she had!!!)

• Liked — ambience and personal service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Shanti Home both at the beginning of our trip (October, 2008) to India, Nepal and Bhutan and at the end (Dec. 2008). When we first arrived I felt overwhelmed by Delhi, but the staff at the hotel soon made me feel more comfortable.. There's a lovely rooftop restaurant which serves all meals (breakfast was included), and the chef is truly wonderful! There's a metro nearby which can take you into downtown Delhi and is great fun to travel on as you can people watch to your heart's content. The rooms are very comfortable--they're named for different areas of India--and very clean. There's also free internet access. But what makes the hotel truly wonderful are the people who work there--all of them were very concerned with our well-being and went out of their way to help us--even walking to the metro with us and showing us how to navigate the system. This concern for their guests extended from the charming owners, Sanjana and Rajat Verma, to include all we encountered. When we returned to Delhi at the end of our trip, it really did feel as if we had come home!

• Liked — The hotel itself and the staff
  • Disliked — the location
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2008

After following inconsistent and confusing directions provided by the hotel, the airport pre-paid taxi driver and I were eventually able to find the hotel (a word of advice, print out a map and hand it to your driver, no one will ever be able to find this unless they are very familiar with the neighborhood).The very polite reception clerk put me, a lone 6'3'' gentleman into a room with two double beds. I wasn't thrilled about it, but my assistant who booked the room had informed me that was all that was available and so I was expecting. All I really wanted was to write some emails, maybe watch the news, and get to sleep early thereby completing my scrooge Christmas routine. And here begins my particular issues with this hotel. Firstly, a very minor quibble, no televisions in any of the rooms; thereby scuttling my plans to watch the news. No problem I thought, I'll switch to plan b and go straight to dealing with the various chores I needed the internet's magical assistance to complete. Bad new on this front too, the internet connection in my room was so slow as to be ineffectual. Not great, but no problem, plan C, straight to bed in a crisp pair of pajamas. As you may have guessed, here is where the third problem arises. The rooms close to the reception hall / main entrance area are so inundated with noise of all types that it renders sleep practically impossible for all but the most drunken of would be sheep-counters. The phone ringing in the lobby, guests chattering as they come and go, various hotel workers gossiping etc. As this had all occurred in less than 20 minutes, I decided that this hotel was clearly not the place for me. I informed the gentleman at the counter that I would be changing hotels because for the approximately $130 (6000r) that I was paying for the room, it seemed only fair that I be able to sleep. The clerk quickly sprang into action and said he would change my room to one on the second floor immediately. Fine I thought, and as he didn't offer me the choice of refunding my money, it seemed the best choice on offer. The second floor features a much nicer room, with one large bed (why they didn't offer it to me if it was free when I asked for a room with a larger bed earlier is a mystery). I took off my shoes an settled in whereupon the windows started shaking with what can only be described as the bizarre sound of an Indian gentleman playing the sort of hits of the 60's / 70's that I strive to avoid in every day life (Think 'Lela' and that song with the refrain 'driving down the road trying to loosen my load' -I'm not sure what that one is called).
Giving up on sleep I decided to go upstairs to the restaurant to check out the food selection. It looked fine, but extremely pricey, even in terms of hotel food. I would have eaten, but the music (obviously louder considering its proximity) got to me and I had to run for it. After grabbing some food at a shop down the street, I came back, with the music still blaring, I decided on a quick shower, I turn the faucet on, check the tap, its hot, i get in. After getting in the water gets icy cold in about 30 seconds, leaving me with a significant amount of my person covered in suds. It seems that the staff neglected to tell me about the switch that turns the hot water heater on, and which I did not consider as a possibility as it is a phenomena generally limited to lower end hotels. It is now 11pm, and the acoustic singer has given up, but has been replaced with recordings of slow jams. Sleep seems very far away indeed.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2008

Words cannot express how wonderful our stay at Shanti Home was! The hotel is immaculately clean, the beds are very comfortable and everything is welcoming. But the real accomplishment of this place is the people. The staff are so kind and considerate - you really feel that they are happy to have you.

The restaurant is superb. We ate every dinner there, happily. The hotel is away from downtown and is quiet (but Delhi standards) and there was nothing better than coming back to Shanti, having a fantastic meal and then going downstairs to sleep in their very comfy beds. Adil, the chef, was extremely accommodating of my father's special diet and also very kind and friendly.

The entire staff was very genuine and kind, but not enough good things can be said of Pooja. She is really a gem! Her heart opens to you and she really looks out for you to ensure you have a fantastic stay. She helped plan itineraries, gave advice and booked travel for us. Honestly, I cannot compliment her enough!! She really warmed our hearts.

We also met the owners, Rajat and Sanjana, whom I had communicated with via email prior to arrival, and they are really great people. Very warm and inviting and you can see the pride and effort that they have put into this establishment. I really enjoyed our conversations at dinner.

Shanti Home is highly, highly recommended!! I would go back in a heart beat!!

• Liked — The people!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Midlands UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

Shanti Home was reasonably priced, comfortable and also convenient for the metro. It has a very pleasant rooftop restaurant overseen by Adil who prepares excellent food.

Staff are courteous, helpful and efficient. The hotel is very clean and has a comfortable lounge, TV room, internet station and massage facility.

Our only complaint was that the hotel suffers badly from traffic noise from the nearby six lane highway. We suspect that this depends on which room you are allocated and whether it faces onto the road. On the positive side staff dealt quickly and sympathetically with our request for a move to a quieter room.

Overall we enjoyed our stay but advise light sleepers that they may have problems.

• Liked — Roof top restaurant
  • Disliked — Proximity to moisy road
  • Stayed November 2008
UK|
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

We had been staying in some of the best hotels in Mombai, Agra , Udaipur, Veranasi etc., and decided to try Shanti Home in Delhi for a change from the large hotels. We were not disappointed. Our room was called "Bollywood" and was very nice and clean, but the restaurant on the roof was fantastic. Sanjana and Rajat (the owners) couldn't do enough for us.The chef is a genius! We had the best food at Shanti Home, after 2 weeks travelling and staying at the best hotels. We will be back!

• Liked — that it was clean
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shanti Home? Share your experiences!