“Beautiful boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
St Helens, England
“Beautiful boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We chose the Shanti Home on the basis that it looked good on the website, it's proximity to the airport and the friendliness of Pooja in our email correspondence. In the event, the hotel is about 30-45 minutes from the airport (my mistake rather than any misleading information from the hotel) but in every other respect the hotel exceeded our hopes and expectations. Everyone was was welcoming and helpful - from the moment we arrived and received an enjoyable soft drink followed shortly after by cups of masala chai - while the bedroom was spacious, clean and beautifully decorated, indeed throughout the hotel there is an interesting mix of old Indian objects d'arts, photographs and modern paintings. The rooftop restaurant was superb, offering a limited range of tandoori dishes that were excellent while the beer was cheap.

Everyone was willing to help but we certainly did not feel that there was any underlying reason for the care shown other than a genuine desire to please us. There is a central tipping box so no one should feel pressured into tipping individuals.

Some people have commented about the hotel's location. It is near a busy road but traffic noise did not disturb us at night. As far as sight-seeing is concerned, Delhi is large and its sights dispersed so it is not possible to see the major landmarks without some travelling. As a consequence, we would not judge the Shanti Home's location to be a negative.

Finally, I would recommend using the hotel's pick-up/transfer arrangements - although they are more expensive than the pre-paid taxis at the airport, you avoid the problem of trying to explain to the non-English speaking drivers where you want to go and the journeys are shorter as the Shanti drivers do not have to stop frequently to ask police and locals in which part of Janakpuri the hotel is located.

Stayed October 2012

836 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had a short stopover here on the night before our departure back to the UK. But this was much better than an airport hotel....the place is nicely and quirkily furnished....we were staying in the amusingly titled "Oh Calcutta!" bedroom (the rooms are themed). Our stay was short, as we had to depart to the airport early in the morning, but the highlight was the excellent rooftop tandoor restaurant...cooked before your very eyes! The bed was rather hard, and it is worth having earplugs as the environs are noisy.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maitland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our arrival at Shanti Home was warm and welcoming, especially after a long day of travel. However, before booking this place, there are a few things you should know.

Firstly, the location is terrible. It is a good 35-45 minutes on the metro to get to Connaught Place. The walk to the metro station is another 10 minutes, and through some pretty bustling and busy streets (both vehicles and people). I found this to be a massive inconvenience and if I had known this were the case, would have stayed somewhere closer.

The rooms are nice, however there is no TV in them. I know this isn't really a huge deal, but it is nice to unwind at the end of the day by watching some TV as I head to bed. The only TV is located in a communal lounge room on level 2.

The rooftop restaurant food is tasty, however fairly limited and quite pricey considering Indian prices. The rooftop itself is nice and the waiters are very attentive.

I'm not sure if this was just India itself, but the staff seemed to be trying almost too hard to service your every needs in the hope you would tip them. I'm not sure if this was just me, but the way the staff came across, although helpful and attentive, seemed to have an underlying motive.

The only other negative was the cost of the rooms per night. I think the prices are a little high considering the above mentioned factors.

Overall, I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to the traveller wanting to explore the sights of Delhi with minimal fuss. The distance outside of the main areas of Delhi was far too much of an inconvenience for me.

Room Tip: Level 2 has the TV. Level 4 is the rooftop.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was a fantastic boutique hotel that is beautifully decorated and maintained. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and we were even escorted to the nearby metro station over a terrifying main road! It has a stunning rooftop restaurant and bar serving fantastic food (almost as good as food from best restaurant in Delhi). The only downside is its distance from Connaught Place and Old Delhi (30-40 minutes minimum by taxi or metro) but otherwise would highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We arrived late at night and were a little unsure of the place - it seemed very bright and although we were shown around, it seemed to lack the welcome we had received at other places, however we certainly changed our minds the next morning. The staff were very friendly and helpful, someone even came to the metro with us and sorted our tickets out. The breakfast was lovely and all freshly made but the highlight was the divali dinner, The owners invited us to join in with their celebrations and made us feel very welcome. The food was excellent and the rooftop restaurant was the place to view all the fireworks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Guisborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at the Shanti Home on our first visit to India in October this year. It was our first stop on a long trip, and we treated ourself to the two day package complete with sightseeing round Delhi, airport transfers, dinner, massage and trip to Agra.

I have to say that this hotel deserves all of the excellent ratings it receives on trip advisor. Service was very efficient - Pooja on reception was great before and during our trip. We were collected without fuss from the airport early in the morning, greeted at this little haven with flowers, namaste, juice and tea, and given an early check in to our room.

The room was huge, cool and clean. The entire hotel is beautifully furnished, our room included, and wifi works well everywhere.

Our drivers for our two day trips were great, the cars were clean and air conditioned and recommendations from the drivers were good. We even got a packed lunch from the hotel.

The massages were...vigourous...but just what we needed after the long flight, we felt great afterwards.

The rooftop restaurant is just amazing. Then food is absolutely delicious and the ambience is lovely, a great place to retreat after a day's sightseeing.

The hotel owner and the chef make a special effort to come out and talk to guests in the evening which is a really nice touch and makes you feel valued.

My hat comes off especially for the wonderful staff here - smiley, helpful, professional and efficient. I left my phone in my room on my day of departure and had to drive back for it. The staff meanwhile had turned the room over, found my phone, and were waiting for me at the hotel gate with a big smile when I arrived back, hassled and worried.

Congratulations Shanti Home - we can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Once I found Shanti Home on TripAdvisor, I felt comfortable traveling alone to Delhi after a week for business elsewhere in India. Shanti Home did not disappoint. I was picked up at the airport and greeted warmly in the hotel. After a day of sight-seeing, dinner was fabulous, and the guests talkative and interesting. Everyone was friendly, so I did not feel as though I were dining alone. The trip to Agra and back made for a long day, but my driver took great care of me! The massage was wonderful; a perfect end to a whirlwind tour and a great way to begin my long journey back. I highly recommend Shanti Home. My only regret is that I could not have stayed longer!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Shanti Home? Share your experiences!