“Gracious hospitality, perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars

On The House
B-4/120 | Safdarjung Enclave, New Delhi 110029, India   |
Ranked #34 of 806 New Delhi B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“Gracious hospitality, perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My stay at On The House was a wonderful way to end my 10 weeks in India. After an all night bus ride from Dharmasala, and an early arrival, Roger greeted us warmly, and had our room prepared for us to rest and freshen up. The house is quiet, and beautifully decorated, clean with plenty of hot water and good food. The roof top gazebo is a lovely little spot to read or visit with guests.The location offers easy access to the Haus Kauz Village area with shops and restaurants or to the metro. Overall, it was like staying with a favorite relative; one is well taken care!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Vadodara, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here on our last leg of Shimla-Manali-Chandigarh-Delhi tour during peak summer. But we were happy to stay here for 2 nights. It felt like home and allowed us to unwind, relax and recharge ourselves. Overall this is a nice place to stay. Easily accessible location. Pleasant neighborhood. Cozy rooms. Good people and great food prepared in-house.

Room Tip: Terrace room is good.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed over night in "on the house" guest house for an official trip around end of June 2012. It is a very good option to stay in one of the best locations in Delhi for a shot trip - official or holiday. it is an excellent choice for business travellers who are looking for a conveniently located home stay ( guest house) in a very good residential location.

Positives
- Very convenient booking system ( you can call in your booking or book online)
- Excellent location in a residential location
- Safe and secure
- Well furnished rooms with all amenities you would get in a 3 star hotel
- Located close to good eateries like Rajendra Dhaba etc
- very good wi-fi internet connectivity
- Simple but tasty home cooked breakfast

Negatives
- Room service not available around the clock. You would need to call ahead for arranging lunch/dinner
- Staff not responsive to most requests
- A bit confusing to find as located in a large residential location. will be helpful if there are some guiding signs on roads leading to the place
- AC's do not work up to the mark ( Atleast in the room I stayed)

Barring such minor issues, On the House is a very good option to stay for short trips to Delhi. Will go back for sure.

Amit

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Excellent Boutique Guest house. Very tasefully decorated rooms, and very high quality bathrooms even by best European and Amrican standards. Staff is vey helpful, attentive and give personalized service very much like English butlers in famous British novels. Breakfast is on the house and is excellent, made to your order and liking. Our two children (23 and 20) usually expect high standards when we select an accommodation, and this has become one of their favorites. Our friends back in Chicago want to try this guest house on their nexy visit to Delhi. I would gladly recommend this facility to any visitor to Delhi. By the way, the staff do light laundry as well for the guests each day.

Room Tip: All rooms are classy, but book early and try to get the Mulberry room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here in January 2013 and unfortunately there was only a space heater for the room. I was pretty cold throughout the night. Breakfast was very simple with toast, bananas and coffee/tea. Overall, it was a cute room but I was not very impressed. I would definitely urge not staying here in the winter unless they have better heating facilities.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My two children and I arrived at 3 am (as many travelers do) into Delhi. When we arrived at On The House, our room was missing the extra bed that I had booked and paid for. We had booked the Pine Room, and we put into another room. Which room we were in did not bother me, but I spent about an hour explaining that the three of us could not fit into one bed, that we had confirmed the extra bed, etc., etc. The owners were not in town, and the manager, while nice, kept insisting that our room was being used by someone else, and this would have to do.
After an hour (this is at 3 am; I am with two children alone after 24 hours of travel), he went and got some pillows, and he and the assistant spent quite a bit of time discussing how to make the bed. I finally stepped in and fashioned something for one of my children to sleep on.
In addition, Delhi was in the middle of a cold snap, and there was no heater, no extra blankets, only a thin duvet to cover the bed. We were freezing and did not sleep at all - we could see our breath the whole time. The next morning I mentioned this, and it turns out they have room heaters - we had not been offered this at all. I had to remind the staff several times to put on in our room, and it seemed to be a big hassle, although there were several lying about.
To make matters worse, I received an email later the next day from the owner were she insisted that I had received an upgrade by being placed in this room. No apology, no explanation for the lack of another bed, or the arguing with me when I arrived, or the lack of heat. I wrote back and explained that it wasn't the room that was the problem, it was the lack of what I had confirmed, namely, the extra bed. Never heard back-still no apology or explanation. I imagine, given her responses on other poor reviews, that I'll get a little smackdown here, which will prove my point entirely. My view is still that I should have been refunded that night as we did not have what we paid for, namely beds and heat, and had to ask, then argue, then wait to get them.
So, why not 1 star? Well, the caretaker is lovely and kind (Raj); the breakfast is amazing, and the place is really peaceful and quiet, albeit far away from anything.

Room Tip: The ones on the second floor are away from the breakfast noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Centreville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I chose this place based on Tripadvisor reviews and even though I was there for a short time it surpassed all expectations. The owner was very responsive and helpful and the caretaker and cook were fabulous. Highly recommended. I used to stay at the Plaza lounge at T3 where the rooms are incredibly small and boring and for about the same cost and a relatively short travel time you get an authentic home away from home experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to On The House? Share your experiences!