“Great Location!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great location, short walk from New Delhi Railway station and Metro, this must be the best hotel in Pahar Ganj. Clean spacious rooms which overlook the main bazaar. We have stayed in other hotels in Paharganj but this has to be the very best. Good helpful staff, nice food , clean room and comfy bed. Also quiet at night even though situated on the main bazaar. We had a slight problem on first day with hot water due to new solar system but hotel manager sorted it for us.
Conaught Square is a short walk away..even shorter rickshaw ride.
Lively location at night but still quiet enough in our room to get good nights sleep!

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Arrived at 5:00am to a dark, quiet, street with the lit Metropolis Hotel sign giving us hope the hotel would be open. After a double ring of the bell beside the door the Night Manager, Manoj Kumar, greeted us with a warm welcome. We were not expecting rooms at that hour but hoped they would allow us to take refuge in the lobby until check-in time. They did have two rooms available (2 couples in our party) and allowed us immediate access. After breakfast we took to the streets of the Paharganj area of New Delhi and were pleased with the location of the Metropolis. Don’t fall for the touts’ line of “I’ll show you where the mall is” - enjoy the neighbourhood on your own. Head LEFT out the hotel’s main door and a short walk along Main Bazaar will bring you to the New Delhi Train Station.

ROOM 103 faces east on the floor above ground level. It is a small room with double wide bed, bedside tables, mirror above the desk, fridge, wardrobe (2 hangers), safe (not bolted down), air conditioning and balcony access through a glass door. The attractive modern bathroom had a large shower, stylish sink, hand soap but no toilet paper (available on request). Wifi is included in the hotel rate but we experienced some difficulty in strength of signal from this room.

ROOM 202 is two floors above ground. Larger in size than 103, it had 2 beds made up as 1 to give it the width of a king with the length of a double. The room’s furniture included bedside tables with wall lamps above each, a cocktail table, luggage bench, cabinet with bar fridge, wardrobe (no hangers), safe (not bolted down), desk, chair, in-room wifi, air conditioning, wide double windows opening to good size deck with a single plastic chair. [In the photo, this room is situated above the word ‘Hotel” on the lit sign]. Like 103 the bathroom was modern with stylish sink and large shower with rain head. Hot water required running the tap for a couple of minutes (we found dinner time the hottest – great for freshening up before going out).

ROOFTOP RESTAURANT & BAR offered excellent food and Rama Kant is a friendly, skilled waiter. (All the staff members at Metropolis were friendly and outgoing.) Lonely Planet and shop owners along Main Bazaar (without knowing we were staying there) recommended Metropolis as the area’s best restaurant. The hotel’s good food doesn’t end with the rooftop restaurant but continues to the breakfast room with a variety of dishes and beverages from which to choose. We had chosen to include breakfast in our room price selection and, in this particular hotel, felt it was a good decision. During one breakfast, we met a lone woman traveler (staying elsewhere) who was switching her hotel accommodations to the Metropolis because of the food, room quality and their friendly, helpful, respectful staff.

FINANCES. During checkout we were charged for an extra night for our early check-in, however, because we had confirmed no additional early-arrival charges would be levied BEFORE we engaged the rooms, they deducted the extra night immediately. They added 450 Rs for taxi fare (based on a casual inquiry) to the airport but after asking twice they removed that charge as well (taxies are cheaper and plentiful on the street).

RECOMMEND Metropolis? Oh my, yes. So much so, we made reservations for our return trip through Delhi on our way home.

Room Tip: No elevator. Breakfast room a half floor above ground. Rooftop restaurant serves good dinners at re...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bareilly, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have seen a few hotels in Paharganj now and even reviewed one. Metropolis is by far the best I have stayed in . I did have a nice meal of tenderloin steak a week ago but stayed there during a stopover in Delhi coming back from a tour of Central India. The rooms are well appointed and the bathrooms very clean with modern fittings. The only problem though is that the place does not have a big enough lounge or a place where one can meet other tourists. It is by far the most expensive in Paharganj with rooms starting at 2000/- ( approx 24 pounds ) a night and going upto 42 pounds a night. Their specialty restaurant would also cost you upto 10 pounds with a glass of draught beer. If you can afford it , just head for it . I would recommend it highly. With bars and many other restaurants near by one can easily have a wide variety of cuisine to choose from at cheaper prices too.

Room Tip: if you are just staying for a night , the room size would not matter. If you are staying longer chec...
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We found Metropolis in Paharganj after being sick and tired of touts and dodgy hotels and were very glad to stumble upon it. As it is only a 2 minute walk from the Metro, the hotel is perfectly situated for getting round Delhi easily.

The rooms are very modern and stylishly furnished - a welcome treat in India. It was very clean, comfortable and particularly quiet (which we were not expecting in Paharganj). After going to Rajasthan, we returned at 11pm to be greeted and our bags taken directly to our room despite the late hour. My girlfriend also felt very ill on the day of our departure and they incredibly kindly extended our check out time by 2 hours (for no extra charge) so that she could recover as much as possible. We always found the staff very kind, informative and always helpful. The restaurant is also very good and serves an exceptional cappucino!

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is a great place to stay. the owner and the staff are fantastic and they will make all efforts to help. service is excellent, room spacious and clean, and there are all sort of facilities (AC, fridge, safe, satellite TV, hot water, broadband, telephone, taxi service, etc). not only is the place easy to reach and pleasant to stay. i enjoyed the food and the great professionalism of everybody. rooms are very tidy and everything you will need is taken care of.
a lovely experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I arrived here at 3 a.m. after a 36-hour flight from Canada. It was my first trip to India and I was nervous. The folks at the front desk helped me get set up with a cell phone, the waiter taught me some simple Hindi, and the food was wonderful. Staff were exceedingly friendly and accommodating at all turns, the owner was on-site and seemed to have everything under his thumb. As a solo female traveler, I felt very safe. Room was nicely appointed and spotless, with modern working shower with on-demand hot water, fridge and money safe. Now that I've traveled in India for two weeks I realize what a gem this place is - terrific value for the money and a great location. I will stay here again when I return to Delhi before my return home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is the third that I have stayed at in this district, I have stayed at the Hari Piorko and my room was far superior for ten percent more money. The bathroom was beautiful, the room big and it even had double glazed glass to the street. My room had its own wifi router, great Airconditioning and flat screen tv., which all contributed to a very comfortable stay. The restaurant wasn't cheap by Indian standards but my two dinners there were of the best standard, some bread didn't turn up till after my meal and a desert wasn't available that I was looking forward to but I wouldn't downgrade the hotel for that. My grief was at the end of my stay - my airport transfer was stuffed up and I had to make other plans to meet my flight. Don't use their 'in house' driver and you'll have a better experience than me.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Metropolis Tourist Home? Share your experiences!