“Deliciously comfortable!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Godwin Hotel

Save Saved
You added Grand Godwin Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Godwin Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8502 / 41 Arakashan Road | Paharganj New Delhi, New Delhi 110055, India   |
Ranked #105 of 592 hotels in New Delhi
melbourne
“Deliciously comfortable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Helpful staff. Big rooms with amazingly comfortable beds (especially after a long flight!) Delicious food in the rooftop restaurant. We had a but of trouble finding the exact location initially but overall a very comfortable stay!

• Stayed January 2013

495 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Kortrijk, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed twice at Grand Godwin during my last Asia trip . It's well located a 10 min walk from the main trainstation . Room was clean , only the breakfast was avarage , i do prefer real coffee instead of self-to-make-Nescafe-coffee ...... Staff were friendly and helpfull . Will stay there again if i ever revisit Delhi/India

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I spent a night before a trip to Rajasthan and a night after our trip at this hotel in Delhi - we were very disappointed with the service of the staff in the hotel.

The room itself was very nice especially for the price paid for the room - there is a nice big bed, a good shower, and is fairly clean.

The staff on another matter is awful - the website we booked on indicated free airport pickups. When we arrived at the airport there was no taxi and when we called the hotel they said just to pay for a normal taxi as the driver had left! When checking in I overheard them speaking to another customer at the airport telling them the same thing so I have come to the conclusion they do not do any airport pick ups!

We wanted to book a driver to take us around Rajasthan and we were quoted a price which was double compared to one of the local companies in the area. When the assistant manager of the hotel found out we didn't book the taxi through them he made us feel bad about it and kept saying what a bad decision we had made and will regret it later on - no customer should be made to feel this way and I was very disappointed to here these comments!

As we had already booked the hotel on our return from Rajasthan we had no option but to stay another night at the hotel. We had to get a flight very early the next morning and we asked the reception staff several times the night before to make sure we had a taxi booked for us - the next morning there was no taxi and we had to wait almost 20minutes for them to arrange someone to drop us to the airport which was extremely frustrating.

Overall the hotel is in a decent location and fairly close to the main train station however you are paying a lot (especially for India) so I think there are better options. The room is nice though and if you just want to get a good night sleep then it's not a bad option. Finally if you are looking to book any travel I would recommend getting quotes from the local companies as in my option the hotel offers a very over priced service and tries to make out you will get screwed over with the local companies which is a lie!

• Stayed December 2012
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My room wreaked of a revolting smell. The room attendant tried on many occasions to use air freshener but nothing helped. Even more disgusting was the washroom had fleas.

The hotel manager tried to rip me off by over charging me for a Taj Mahal day trip. The saving grace was that I checked in the night before and was offered a lower rate by the night manager for the same excursion. Definitely look around before committing to the first offer.

The day tour driver was just as sneaky. He took me to all the sites closer to the hotel which took up most of the day. I was left with no option to get to the sites further out of the city. Make sure that you indicate to the driver that you would like to see the sites away from the city first.

The Taj Mahal tour guide was a piece of work too. He tried to rip me off again by saying there was only one exit to the Taj Mahal which could take hours to get through. If I agreed to tip his "friend"1300 rupees he would get me through faster. I had to squeeze through a line that locals were queued in which was embarrassing and awkward since I had to shove my way through and the women around me were upset. Luckily, I didn't have to pay the friend until the end of the visit during which, I found out there are multiple exits throughout.

The area isn't great but close to the railway station. I would recommend finding a hotel in Connaught Place which is close by and a much nicer part of time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been to India three times and this time a friend recommended I stay in this area. I usually stay at Karol Bagh and was apprehensive when we first arrived at the hotel.

Arrived a few hours before check in but the reception didn't have a big deal out of it. They checked us in and we waited approximately 20 minutes while the rooms were being cleaned and then we were up in our room. The room wasn't too big but it was nice and comfortable. The free wifi and complimentary breakfast was a huge plus. The wifi didn't work all the time but when it did it was great. My only issue with the room has to be the bathroom. When you shower the entire toilet gets wet as does the entire area. I asked for a shower curtain so at least the toilet wouldn't get wet but they didn't have it. If they put up a glass door or a shower curtain I'd give it an extra star.

The security guy and the door man were helpful in getting us autos and bargaining with them. During my stay I was told frequently the area was not a good one but be careful and use common sense. I personally preferred it over Karol Bagh because its well lit. The road has hundreds of hotels so you're likely to run into a fellow tourist which was a relief. Having the hotels all lit up at night gave me a sense of security as opposed to Karol Bagh.

I had a pleasant experience and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have never written a bad review before but I feel compelled the inform other travellers on my bad experience. We had arranged for a airport pickup taxi on the day of my arrival. However we waited more than one hour before the driver showed up. In the midst of waiting, I called up the hotel manager to ask them on the status of the pickup, but i was told to keep waiting. When the driver did arrive, he claimed that he was waiting at a different gate all along, at a different location as stated in my email communication to the hotel. While at the hotel, the hotel staff insisted that I pay the parking charges despite the fact that the driver went to a different arrival gate. The service of the hotel staff in Grand Godwin is downright appalling as well. During check in, one of the evening staff who requested our passports for verification actually THREW IT across the table back at my partner nonchalantly afterwards. In addition, the reception staff were never helpful as well. When asked on how to reach any destination, the reception staff bluntly told me to just take a auto rickshaw and then simply ignored us thereafter. Service aside, the facilities of the hotel was okay. Wifi is not available in the rooms but only in the reception. The doorbell of the room is electronically controlled however it kept going off on its own. The staff dismissed it as a minor technical error, but note the doorbell could go off while you sleep too. Overall this is a horrible hotel to stay in. Would not recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the main road due to the noise level.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

After 17 days in other parts of India, we ended up at here before leaving for our return to the US.
I was happy with the contemporary decor, the cleaniness of the room, and the quietness of the building. The street is a little scary looking but no problems at all.

The service was excellent.

Room Tip: There is a very good restuarant at the next hotel down.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Godwin Hotel? Share your experiences!