“Manager couldn't speak English and couldn't find my booking” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Raja Hotel to your Saves list
Travelocity Agoda.com
Raja Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Ara Kashan Road Ram Nagar | near New Delhi railway station, New Delhi 110055, India (Minto Road)   |
Ranked #124 of 594 hotels in New Delhi
Melbourne, Australia
“Manager couldn't speak English and couldn't find my booking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I arrived just after midnight and only need a place to sleep because I was catching the six o'clock train to Jaipur.

The room was quite large and the staff greeted me with fresh bottles of spring water which was nice.

However the room they gave me had dirty sheets. I knew the sheets weren't changed and not just discoloured because when I ran my fingers over the sheets, they felt greasy. There must have been numerous people sleeping on the pillow for there to be that much grease on the pillow.

The shower didn't have a shower head. Only a bucket and ladle.

I had a terrible experience with check in worth telling.

I got my train tickets delivered to the hotel. For the return train ticket there were two tickets because I also bought tickets for a friend I was meeting in Jaipur to return to Delhi with me. The manager had obviously inspected the tickets.

After I checked in and was in the room I was summoned back to the check in desk and asked for my Agoda confirmation. I said I had it in an email and I could email it to them. They wanted me to log into my gmail and print it on their computer. I finally managed to convince them to give me their email so I could email it to them.

I still couldn't work out what the problem was. The manager then called agoda and put them on the phone to me. Agoda explained that the manager was concerned because there were tickets delivered for two people but how come the room booking was only for one person. I explained that the ticket for the other person was from Jaipur. They finally let me go to sleep. By this stage it was 1:30am. I had to wake up at 5.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel was really cheap, so I wasn't expecting a 5-star resort. The staff is really friendly. I am a single female traveler, and they are very attentive. The hotel is located near Connaught Circle and the Railway Station. My suggestions: the rooms could use a good cleaning and upgrading, and the bathroom as well. The rooms are very large. It was a very cheap place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bangalore, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Rooms not great, response was also not good. Close to the new delhi railway station (1km) and metro (1.5km). Had to call up multiple times to get service. Location wise the area is little dirty - you can find better hotels in Karol Bagh area where you have more things to do and a lot of good eateries as well. Don't have decent eateries close by. Ok for the price.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks, I have found its location very convenient, close to the ND railway, the hotspot of Counaught Place and travelling from and to landmarks of New Dehli wasn't far of a distant. The service was excellent, the staff were very friendly and helpful. Although I had aircon, I had only been able to use it twice in my stay as it never turned back on... That didn't bother me as I had the 2 head fans on blast all the time. I would suggest grabbing the recently furnished rooms and above ground level as it does tend to get noisy early. But I was out quite early anyway. Its a safe and trustworthy hotel, as i was able to leave my personal belongings and not worry something will dissapear, locked or unlocked my doors.Overall my stay in this hotel was worth the money! Book ahead, it's an excellent stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked the Raj on clear-trip web site, after reading a few reviews on tripadvisor.
I have stayed in Praganj area on previous trips and find it a central base for the Delhi sites and Train/ station.
I can say i have been presently surprised at the Raj Hotel standard for the rate.
This place is a quantum leap for what was on offer 20 years ago.
Traveling as a single parent with 3 teenage boys they insisted we return for our stay before flying out.
I don't understand any negiitive comments regarding the supplied breakfast as the spread they put on is fantastic. Staff have been receptive and helpful, and as a group we rate the butter chicken at the copper restaurant No 1 in India.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Munnar, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located and is good value for money. However they could really work on improving their service part. We had booked 3 rooms. The rooms were not ready on arrival and were on different floors. They offered to shift the rooms the following day. But owing to no response from their end we dint bother. There is also a vast difference the renovated and non -renovated rooms. Choose and opt for the renovated rooms if possible. There was a vast difference between the rooms allocated.

Though breakfast was part of the package, we could not have breakfast for 2 days out of 4 owing to early travel requirements. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast on one day and were in for a shock the next day morning. On reaching the restaurant we were informed that the restaurant was closed for renovation and breakfast would be served as room service. The choice was limited and we were informed that we would be charged extra for some extra slices of breads we had consumed. This was later though not charged when complained about still left a bad feeling. Also they could have informed us in advance that the restaurant was closed and the breakfast would be served room service. This would have saved us some precious time and also avoided the inconvenience of waiting for the breakfast. Missing out on the good Buffet breakfast was another dampener.

We had to ask for towels and in rooms we did not ask for towels none were provided.

Room cleaning was done daily if the room key left back the at Front Desk which was a good thing. Again on the positive side, the things left back in the room were safe. The Reception was also cooperative and agreed to safe keep laptops valuable and other things we did not want to lug around but were still hesitant to leave back in the room. The Doorman was very courteous and always cheerful.

The cab arranged for Airport drop was not on time giving us a few anxious moments.

So all in all it was a mixed experience and yes I would recommend this hotel if one is willing to ignore minor irritants.

Room Tip: Choose and opt for renovated rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
washington DC USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

For the price you can't beat it. The quality was much more on par with American standards. The rooms were very clean and even offered to clean the rooms daily! (That's pretty much unheard of in Delhi!) We stayed in India for a month and this was definitly one of the greatest places to stay. It was very conveinent to shopping and the food was pretty great too. Very large rooms and great showers with hot water! The beds were also very comfortable. The staff was friendly and kind. They only bad thing was the downstairs restaurant. It was rather awkward and dimly lit. It's much better just to order the room service and eat it in your room. Other than that, it was great.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and the rooms were great. We also looked at rooms on the second floor a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Raja Hotel? Share your experiences!