“Peaceful Haven” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
Melbourne, Australia
“Peaceful Haven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

First time in Dehli we were looking for a tranquil haven to relax into our India excursion. The service started smoothly and efficiently with Surgeet waiting a long time for us to come through customs and immigration and greeting us warmly. He went on to provide exemplary service for the remainder of the week as our driver and

The hotel building itself met the standards as portrayed in their advertising providing a quiet, clean (down to disguising unsavoury odours outside with scented burners) and elegant environment. The restaurant we found to be very good particularly the chef's table and they accommodated my nut allergy with no fuss.

In particular I have to mention two people other than Surgeet who provided excellent service and a warm and friendly manner and they were the Sikh gentleman in the bar and a young chap with black spectacles (apologies for forgetting your names) who did our housekeeping and turn down service.

A couple of small gripes that I think make this miss from being a 5 star establishment:

The towels show signs of being laundered in the very polluted environment and are thin and grey. Would be good to see them replaced with thick and maybe not white hence the staining from the air/water? would not show.

The mood lighting meant at night I could not see much, the room was quite dark.

The room was exceptionally cold and the in room heating made it colder. Staff provided a fan heater that after two to three days continuous and noisy operation did lift the room temperature to bearable but hardly 5 star comfort. To be fair we did arrive in winter from an Australian summer but still!

The spa was absolutely freezing for my massage to the point of goosebumps.

The general demeanour of the staff could not be faulted as such but we felt it to be somewhat cold. Always professional and courteous but lacking friendly warmth.

Having said all of the above The Manor filled our needs to be away from the hustle and bustle, and give us a peaceful retreat. We would definately stay again.

Room Tip: The suite was excellent value for money with your own balcony
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oldworldhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The Manor, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write a review about your recent stay at The Manor. We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay.

Our restaurant team is grateful for your kind words of appreciation. In addition, your feedback regarding the room temperature, lighting and bathroom towels has been discussed with our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper respectively, who send their sincere apologies and assure you that they will be taking necessary corrective action to avoid such complaints in future.

Also, we have briefed our General Manager – Training about your feedback regarding the lack of friendliness in our staff behavior and would like to assure you that we have scheduled necessary training sessions on guest handling and courtesy.

Guest satisfaction is of paramount importance to us and we would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. This certainly jolted us out of complacency.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you again at The Manor.

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We walked into The Manor with mixed feelings. Delhi is so unpredictable in terms of what to expect for quality, but this place really did live up to our expectations. The Manor is by no means the ultimate luxury hotel, but it really is a beautiful home away from home in prime South Delhi.
The location is by far the best we have ever stayed in Delhi - New Friends Colony is a lovely gated community which is tucked away from all those horns, hustle & bustle. It was so pleasant going to bed each night and hearing nothing but silence, which was a refreshing change to previous hotels stayed in Delhi.
The staff offered us impeccable service throughout our stay. Anything we asked was no trouble and each employee went out of their way to ensure our stay was both enjoyable and flawless (something that doesn't happen too often in India!)
Indian Accent, the restaurant was by far the most exciting Indian food we have ever eaten. Everything we tried on the menu was sensational and full of flavour.
In summary, don't choose The Manor is you're expecting it to compare to either Oberoi or Leela, because it wont, and I hope it never does. Choose The Manor for a quite getaway in leafy New Friends Colony.

Room Tip: For less foot traffic, the rooms upstairs are brilliant.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oldworldhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The Manor, responded to this review, January 16, 2014

Namaste!

We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed your dining experience at our restaurant 'Indian Accent'.

Positive feedback from our guests makes our efforts worthwhile and inspires our team to achieve higher levels of guest satisfaction and delight. Your feedback has been shared with the entire team and they are grateful for the appreciation.

We look forward to welcoming you again at The Manor.

edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a smooth and pleasant pick from the airport after a long journey. On arrival at the hotel, we were shown to our room which was OK, quite nice but nothing special. I couldn't see the grounds as we arrived and left in the dark. It was Christmas day/evening that we were spending here before an early flight and I chose it because of the reviews of the restaurant. The bar area was really pleasant and we were given a glass of mulled wine to start things off. I wish I could remember the name of the girl who works there as she is fabulous, other staff members were not so helpful. I have an allergy and everything I ordered off the menu I was unable to have, despite giving them many months notice. This usually highlights to me that either things are not freshly prepared and the chef can't be bothered to make something off the menu without nuts. In the end I have a choice of two items from a vast menu. The food was quite nice but to be honest it was such a hassle the evening was spoiled. Breakfast in the morning was appalling, it was so slow. We ended up just having to leaving having had nothing to eat. We left wishing we had returned to The Imperial again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

At the very outset, please accept our profuse apologies for the unsatisfactory experience at Indian Accent during your recent stay.

As a hospitality company, we have always done our utmost to meet quality standards that have exceeded our guest expectations and we express our deep regret at this atypical experience. We do understand that no amount of justification can reverse the experience you had. After thoroughly looking into the matter we found that this was due to the miscommunication between our room reservation and restaurant team, as a result of which the food could not be prepared according to the specification given by you. The matter has been taken up very strongly with the entire staff and they have been briefed to be more careful in future to avoid such lapses.

Also, our General Manager would like to speak with you personally and we would be really grateful if you could share your contact number with us at feedback@oldworldhospitality.com along with a convenient time to speak. Thank you for jolting us out of our complacency.

We sincerely hope that this particular experience will not deter you from patronizing The Manor in future and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Romsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed here - our very first port of call in India. This hotel is absolutely beautiful. A haven from the bazaars of Chadni Chowk and the streets full of blaring traffic ! The Hotel restaurant is a gentle introduction to Indian fare - a fusion of flavours, Simply stunning - the meals are served expertly and without fuss. We can only compare the quality with that of the Lighthouse in Galle Sri Lanka. It was simply perfect and the staff so accommodating. Magic. Do go ! On your visit to Delhi do try to go to the Gurudwara bangla sahib sikh temple - amazing.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Here i am.
Another visit,another fairy tale.
Same heart warming smiles, same clean souls.
What a staff!!!!
They really mean it when they say ''Certainly Sir''
This place is my home in India.
Can't live without that....
Very special thanks to Mr. Tushar(life guard,i think he doesn't know how to say ''No we can't'')
Adnaan,Nisand and lovely Kiran( how can i forget your delicious breakfasts in the morning).....
Mr. Samrat (don't you get tired sometimes??)

Planning to stay in Delhi and still wasting time in front of computer???
Seat back and relax The Manor is there for you.....

• Stayed November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've had a nice stay here. The hotel is modern and attractive and the room comfortable. The staff members are very friendly, but it is not run to the standard of some of India's better hotels (of which there are many.)

The restaurant is top notch. I suspect they try to put the hotel guests on the veranda or lesser tables as it is a very "in" place. The day I checked in they told me it was fully booked. I was willing to eat at the bar or on the veranda and eventually they "found" me an outside table. I ate early, a bit before 7PM, and was dining alone so finished by 8. I was, when I finished, one of 3 or 4 occupied tables. They say they have to keep tables open as Delhi traffic is so bad they have no idea when people will show up. That said, I think they could have made the welcome a lot warmer. The food was worth it, though. Absolutely delicious.

The neighborhood is on the southern side of Delhi and not in a central location. Assuming you have a car and driver, this is no problem. The neighborhood, Friends' Colony, is very posh and gated and the hotel is just down the street from southern Delhi's nicest club. One certainly feels completely safe there.

There is a train track that is very close to the hotel and, while I never heard the whistle of a train, the rumbling created makes you feel like you are living through a series of small earthquakes. It did not cripple my stay, but if one is a particularly light sleeper it might.

All in all, this is a good, stylish place to stay. I stayed at the much more elegant (and expensive) Imperial last week and it is in a completely different category.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Oldworldhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The Manor, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to note your appreciation about the room and the staff, your feedback has been shared with the entire team and they are grateful for the appreciation.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused while making the table reservation at our restaurant - Indian Accent. We would like to explain that the restaurant was overbooked and the only available space was at the verandah. We agree that this could have been handled in a better way to avoid the inconvenience. We completely understand your disappointment and would like to assure you that your feedback has been taken up with the Restaurant Manager.

We hope that this particular experience will not deter you from patronizing The Manor and assure you of a much better experience on your next visit.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you again.

Mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently stayed at The Manor Hotel for one night. Overall impression was very good but a few minor things they could improve on.

We had a problem with our ID checking in, as my husband didn't have his passport (we are foreign residents in India, and he only had his Indian residency card, which you can use for ID when flying internally in India so no need for passport). Because he did not have his passport, or proof of local address, we were initially told that we were not allowed to stay - arriving at 8pm and 6 months pregnant, this was not particularly well received! We have never had this problem before in any other hotel in India, but we know there are Indian regulations, so although the hotel was not technically in the wrong, this was an unfortunate situation that was badly handled.

We had a standard room (The Manor room) which was fine, although quite small for the price, I thought. Bathroom had the usual basic amenities, again on the small side and I thought the shower in our room was disappointing and could do with a service (room 10). Aside, from that, our room was quiet we were not disturbed by anything and there was a TV etc so overall was really fine.

Clearly the star of this hotel is the Indian Accent restaurant. It is exceptional. We ate excellent food and I thought the staff were knowledgeable and helpful when explaining dishes on the menu. I would come back here again to eat for sure. Conversely, I thought breakfast was a little disappointing in comparison - we were told that the fruit salad should include papaya, banana, apple, pear etc - it was simply apple and pear! And I would question whether the pastries were freshly baked on site as they promised to be on the menu! It wasn't all bad though, the scrambled eggs on toast was delicious!

Although, there isn't much else to this hotel other than the restaurant, which some might expect from the price you pay, I thought the service was very good, very helpful and polite staff. My only other comment is paying Rs 600 per 24 hours of wifi. I REALLY object to paying for wifi in hotels when I know that it does not cost them that much to provide as they surely need it themselves as well. I really felt that was very expensive, especially given the price you are paying for the rooms!

Its not terribly centrally located in Delhi though, its in a quiet residential enclave in the South of the City...This didn't matter to us but might for some.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Oldworldhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at The Manor, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

At the very outset, please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience during your check in. As a hospitality company, we have always done our utmost to meet quality standards that have exceeded our guests’ expectations and we sincerely regret this atypical experience.

With regards to your concern on check in formalities, we would like to explain that it is mandatory for a foreign national to provide passport and valid VISA as required by authorities, hence your PAN card could not be accepted as an identity proof. However, we admit that the situation could have been handled in a much better way. Our front office team has been briefed to give clear information to the guests about the acceptable identity proof while confirming the reservation. Also, they have been briefed to be more proactive in handling such situations to avoid any discomfort to the guests.

With reference to your feedback on wi-fi, it was a decision taken by our management to provide wi-fi services on a chargeable basis after considering various factors. However, your feedback has been passed on to our management team for further perusal.

In addition, your feedback regarding the bathroom shower and quality of breakfast has been discussed with our Executive Housekeeper and the Chef respectively, who send their apologies for the inconvenience.

Our team has taken necessary corrective actions based on your feedback and we assure you of a better experience on your next stay.

We do hope that this particular experience will not deter you from patronizing The Manor in the future and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Guest Relations

Been to The Manor? Share your experiences!