“Comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 593 hotels in New Delhi
Oslo
“Comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed for our first time in Delhi this Christmas and chose The Claridges based on location and comfort to recover from our jetlag and acclimatise. The hotel was comfortable and the room was spacious. It was kind of what you would expect for a hotel of this type (corporate, luxurious) but nothing that exceeded expectation or was characterful.

The location was pleasant: in a leafy suburb within walking distance of the National Museum and India Gate. It was quiet and the staff were helpful.

One slight warning that I hope you can take in the spirit it is meant - we ate all of our food for our first three days in India in the hotel (I am pregnant and was being extremely cautious), and I got sick on the second day. I believe that I was just unlucky and that the standards in the hotel were extremely high, however, if you are concerned, I would advise not relaxing fully and having any salad items.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Claridges51, General Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

My team and I are delighted to receive your kind review of The Claridges New Delhi, it was a pleasure having you with us.

We are glad that overall you were comfortable in our guest room and also that you enjoyed the location. The team has received your feedback regarding your food experience and continues to work hard to uphold the high standards of our food quality.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

665 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've stayed at The Claridges a couple of times now. It seems to be on the list of most tour operators.
The hotel itself is comfortable.
The room we had this time had a window overlooking the foyer and one of the dining areas and other rooms on the same floor, so little light and given the other rooms, you could have your curtains open too often.
Staff are well trained, attentive and friendly

Room Tip: The rear wing has rooms with windows that open to the outdoors, even if it is the street at the rear...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank You for staying at The Claridges New Delhi! It was a pleasure having you with us.

I am pleased to learn that you find our team attentive, well trained and friendly. I will certainly share your feedback with our team.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

It was my first stay in New Delhi, so I could not tell how other five-start hotels were like in Delhi, but this hotel did not offer five-star standard in my view. I stayed for 2 nights.

The towels, which are usually fresh and fluffy at five star hotels, were quite old and flat, and so was the bathrobe. A thin cotton cloth put in the bathroom to place some bathroom items looked worn out. I also found empty amenity boxes (e.g. a box for cotton bud without cotton bud inside, and a few other empty boxes for other items), so I called housekeeping to bring the items which I could tell were not the best quality ones.

It was good to have some bottled drinking water inside the room, but I found one bottle that had indication of prior opening. It looked like somebody filled the bottle and closed the tap and left the bottle as if it was a new bottle.

The room structure was also funny in that the study area was in the opposite side from the sleeping area having the bathroom in between, which I found inconvenient.

The bed was ok for sleeping but the room had some noise from somewhere, which I couldn't figure out. It seems that the room was close to the room for housekeeping, so there was a sound of stacking something or moving a cart all the time which was not pleasant.

The charge for the Internet was definitely five-star level but the Internet connection was slow.

I generally enjoyed the food there. I couldn't order as I didn't know but I found out that you could also order Japanese breakfast (not in the menu) in the morning, which could be good.

I will surely try other five start hotels when I need to book a hotel room in Delhi in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Claridges51, General Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Claridges New Delhi, we really appreciate your honest and candid feedback.

I am very sorry to learn that your recent stay experience fell below your expectations. Please be assured that your feedback is important to us and that my team is taking steps to address your comments, especially with regards to the service shortfall you experienced with your room amenities and bottled water.

We also regret the inconvenience you encountered from the noise during the night due to the housekeeping operations. And, as you mentioned about the Japanese breakfast, we are taking your feedback into consideration as we plan future enhancements for the hotel. All of us here at The Claridges New Delhi continue to work hard to deliver the high quality of the products and services expected of a luxury hotel.

We would be delighted for another opportunity to be of service to you again when you next return to New Delhi, so that you may experience the true and warm hospitality that we continually seek to deliver.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in the Claridges hotel and really enjoyed it. The hotel is located in a quiet and leafy part of the city, and offers a wonderful respite after a day of touring. The rooms are spacious, clean and well equiped. The staff were all really attentive and friendly. They really made us feel welcome. The breakfast buffet offers a good choice for all tastes. There is also a good choice of restaurants in the hotel. We definitely enjoyed the Dhaba restaurant in particular. If you feel like venturing outside, the Khan market is just a 15 min walk from the hotel and there are plenty of lively cafes there.
Overall we had a wonderful experience at the hotel and would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ClaridgesNewDelhi, General Manager at The Claridges New Delhi, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review of The Claridges New Delhi, it is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We appreciate your positive feedback on the guest rooms, services, breakfast and our location. Also, we are glad to know that our Indian restaurant – Dhaba highlighted your experience with us.

The team extends their warm thanks for your special mention of their service.

We would be delighted to welcome you back and extend once again the warm hospitality that made your stay comfortable and pleasant. Thank you again for your review.

Bath UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the Claridges for 2 nights. A plus point was that we were given a room immediately in the early morning (c. 6am), after a long overnight train journey. Not so pleased on finding after showering that our room had no window and was very dark. This however was rectified on complaining and we were changed to a pleasant pool view room.

Without exception the staff was lovely, from room service, around the pool and at breakfast. But
I really do take an issue with the prices for food and drinks. No problem with the room prices, but.
Is it really necessary to charge 345Rs (close to £6 + all Indian taxes) for some tea?
We ate at Dhaba one evening. The same problem. The food was just about OK, very simple street food, but at exhorbitant prices for the food offered. Breakfast, included in the room rate, was first class.

I would recommend staying at the hotel, but eat and drink elsewhere.
Ratings are for hotel stay only. Value for food is not more than 2.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
North West
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was travelling alone to Delhi for a connecting flight to China & needed to stay overnight. I was fairly anxious about being alone in a city which has received so much negative press about the treatment of women. I arrived at the hotel at about 10a.m. And was pleased to be offered a room to shower & change. The room allocated was 117 - it was on the first floor & the external environment surrounding the room was appalling. I wish I could work out how to post photos of the setting from my iPad! They are truly shocking. I have emailed these to Trailfinders who are investigating my experience of this hotel. In words ..... immediately next to my balcony there was a collection of ramshackle wooden huts, plastic sheeting, pipes etc. which backed on the car park. The room was also close to the road - this arrangement was not only an eyesore but it meant the room was noisy and accessible via the balcony to anyone from outside the hotel. Bearing in mind the recent history of rapes in Delhi this felt very unsafe for a single female traveller. Ultimately, after my complaint, the room was changed to one on the third floor with a view over the pool. This room was great - until the second night when a pool party kept me awake until 2a.m.!

Other than this hotel staff were helpful and friendly, breakfast was great and the view over the gardens from Pickwicks was fabulous. Food from Pickwicks in the evening was OK - room service was prone to errors ... Which in fairness were corrected and I wasn't charged for that meal.

In the unlikely event that I return to Delhi I would not choose this hotel again. Many of the rooms are road facing and noisy, the sound-proofing in general is not great, food, wifi and laundry are expensive. Overall, for the category of hotel, it is substandard, but the pricing is as one would expect (not cheap). I would probably opt for a top end western chain in a place like Delhi - to feel safe one has to pay top end prices, in a place like this, in my view.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near 117.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest review of The Claridges New Delhi. We sincerely apologise that your stay experience was not what you expected.

Your feedback is very valuable to us and my team and I are taking your comments seriously. We understand the importance of maintaining high safety/ security standards for Single Lady Travellers to deliver a pleasant and safe stay and we also assure that the safety & security of our guest is of our paramount importance.

With regards to your comment regarding view from your room, I and my team are looking into the issues you have raised and continues to work hard to uphold the high standards of service and product quality for all our guests.

Whilst we are glad that you enjoyed the breakfast at Pickwicks. Also, we have noted your valuable comments with regards to the room allocation, wifi, laundry and investigating further.

I am very sorry that we could not deliver a better stay experience for you and understand how this has affected your impression of us. Nevertheless, we hope for the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have been visiting Delhi frequently but since last two visiting I stayed in the Claridges bcz mysekf as well as my guest from Japan feel very comfortable . All the staff is very courteous and always ready to help,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Claridges New Delhi? Share your experiences!