“Solid, but areas for improvement for my tastes” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dr. Zakir Hussain Marg, New Delhi 110003, India   |
Ranked #2 of 626 Hotels in New Delhi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Solid, but areas for improvement for my tastes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Given its brand, I had very high expectations of this hotel. Alas, they were not fully met. While first impressions were excellent – upon reaching the reception desk and passing over my passport, I was asked whether I’d like a drink while the paper work is completed, and this alcoholic drink was inclusive – I increasingly found flaws and areas for improvement. These particularly concern the check-in procedure; the relatively colonial-like and old-fashioned rooms with features that need modernising; the need for greater attention to detail; and WiFi.

Upon finishing my drink, I returned to the reception desk whereupon the receptionist guided me to my room and explained various things. Upon entering the room, I was asked to sit down at the desk to complete the registration. This felt clumsy, unnecessary (and undoubtedly far more resource-intensive for them), long-drawn-out, and a little uncomfortable. I personally prefer to quickly get everything done with and to then proceed myself, given it is not exactly difficult! I realise others may prefer the way they do it.

The room was quite old-fashioned with quite a lot of wood and mirrors (leading to the main room). I think that the features need to be modernised to be really 5* and extra comfortable. And there needs to be a greater attention to detail. For example, the tea/coffee tray wasn’t fully topped up each day and there was no in-room iron/ironing board. This is nit-picking, of course, and I I phoned up and got it, but this is an excellent brand and a 5*, so there are high expectations that must be met.

While this sounds absurdly self-important – and I am not, believe me – doors downstairs were often not opened for me even if staff were standing nearby. Given this happens in other 5* hotels I have stayed in within India, this needs to be remedied, as it otherwise feels somewhat careless and, again, indicates attention to detail.

Customers are permitted 30 minutes inclusive minutes of WiFi per every 24 hours. Thereafter it is 400 INR per hour, 600 for two, or 900-1,000 (I can’t recall) for all day use. These are clearly frightfully high prices. But what is worse is that if you purchase the one- or two-hour options, you cannot start, stop, and then return to it later: you have to use it all in one go. While I don’t like having to pay for WiFi in 5* hotels, the usage policy in particular seems unfair.

Despite these drawbacks, the staff were typically excellent – although four or five staff must have come over and initiated conversation while I was eating breakfast and reading the paper, which I found somewhat frustrating. The food was brilliant, and I especially liked that the main meal came with a variety of side dishes included within the price. However, and while again nit-picking, the fruit juices at breakfast was very watered down, raising questions of quality and attention to detail.

Overall, I’d say this hotel is a solid 7/10. It was certainly comfortable, but I think I’d try somewhere else in Delhi before returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, General Manager at The Oberoi, New Delhi, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We greatly appreciate the positive comments about the hotel and our wonderful team of staff members. Having said that, we have read and analyzed each and every comment very carefully, the sole intent being to improve upon our mistakes and areas of improvement. We firmly believe that only a genuine well wisher gives such detailed feedback, we are very grateful to you. Please be assured your experience was certainly not reflective of our usual standard of service and I do apologise for any inconvenience that you may have faced. I am confident that we shall be able to step up to the plate and show immediate improvement in all areas mentioned.

Should your travels bring you to Delhi, please do write to me directly and I assure you an extremely pleasant stay.

Thank you.

Sincere regards,
Jay Rathore
Vice President and General Manager
The Oberoi, New Delhi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

from the first step in the door to the last step out, this was an amazing experience.the staff could not have been more attentive, helpful, informative, or accommodating. americans could learn a LOT from these folks. beautiful manners, well spoken, and sincere in their interactions. after three weeks on horrid roads and in villages in Himachal Pradesh this was an oasis of beauty. every detail attended to.
the only unfortunate aspect - as a function of the monsoon season - the carpet in the room smells distinctly moldy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, New Delhi, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel, team and services.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the guest room. I apologize for any inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, New Delhi

england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a week long business trip to the oberoi.

Great restaurant, huge menu of western, European, Indian and Thai cuisine, also great room service menu. Brilliant as this can be repetitive when travelling frequently for business.

Staff perhaps too eager to help.. Not always with the productivity needed.

Whilst the restaurant is beautifully modern, it felt that the rooms were quite tired and in need of some updating.

The bedding did not feel as clean and fresh as I would have liked.
The biggest problem was the strong smell of damp on the 6th floor corridor and bedrooms, I assume from the air conditioning? This was quite over powering and un pleasant.

Having last stayed at the Oberoi New Delhi several years ago, I was disappointed with how the hotel had aged.

I would return to the Oberoi for business purposes, but until the Oberoi raise the standard of facilities thoughout the hotel (not just in communal areas) I would favour the Imperial hotel-
especially if travelling for personal reasons and not on business.

• Stayed July 2013
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, General Manager at The Oberoi, New Delhi, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding our food and beverage portfolio. Our restaurants are not only popular amongst our in-house guests but also frequented by locals.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the air-conditioning in the rooms and would like to apologize for the inconvenience. Let me assure you that it is always our constant endeavour to provide best of services to our guests and that every guest of the hotel is treated with utmost professional care and hospitality. It seems we have fallen short this time. I have taken up the matter with the concerned senior managers to analyze and rectify the error, it seems like excessive humidity in the air. I assure you it will be rectified in the immediate future.
I hope that this incident will not mar your otherwise favourable regards for The Oberoi. We appreciate your views and it is feedback such as yours that enables us to improve and monitor our quality and operations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, New Delhi. Please do use my office as the first point of contact.

Jay Rathore
VP & General Manager
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

i was on business and this was a really relaxing place to return after a busy day. the staff were friendly and gave excellent service. The food was excellent too. several locals said it was the best hotel in Delhi and I can well believe it.

Room Tip: would guess the views are better on the higher floors but 2nd floor was fine.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, New Delhi, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about our hotel.

We are extremely delighted to have you as an “ambassador” for The Oberoi, New Delhi and look forward to welcoming you back.

Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Enjoyed a delicious sunday brunch at the Oberoi New Delhi with a friend. Excellent service and a lavish lay out. The staff in the restaurant could not have been more polite and helpful. Spent nearly 3 hours enjoying the ambiance and the world class cuisine.

A sincere request to the managment, not to have an attendant inside the mens room handing out napkins. It is very odd to have a person standing in the mens room while one is in front of the urinal. I am sure the staff could be utilised in some other area and his dignity restored.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, New Delhi, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your very kind feedback. We are truly grateful for the wonderful things you have said about the Sunday brunch at threesixty degrees. It is one of the most popular brunches in town.

I have also taken note of your comment regarding the attendant. He is a public area attendant and apart from other job responsibilities, one of his key responsibility is upkeep of the men’s room.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

A Mecca for luxury this hotel has always been in the top 3 hotels in Delhi. Spotlessly clean, great offerings in terms of Food & Beverage - Restaurants, situated right in the heart of the city. Rooms are the best you would find for the money you spend.

In one of my recent visits I did find the service to be a bit sluggish. I called up the room service to order a meal and it took forever for the phone to be answered. Order taking was efficient. Delivery could have been better. Food was delivered hot, in a trolley and kept warm. The person delivering the order seemed new. He offered me his pen to get my signature on the bill and struggled to open his pen (He was using an Oberoi Hotel pen) and did not know how to use it and later asked for a pen from me. I asked him for the pen and showed him how to open it and use. Perhaps it was his first day delivering orders.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Golf Course have better views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, New Delhi, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding our location, rooms and food and beverage offering.

I have also taken a careful note of your comment regarding the room service. I apologize for the inconvenience. I have taken your feedback with the department head and have taken steps to ensure that such incident does not recur in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi, New Delhi.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was fortunate to stay at the Oberoi during one of my many business trips to India. What an absolute pleasure - almost felt as if I was on holiday !! My usual hotel was fully booked and whilst the Oberoi was more expensive (you really do get what you pay for) the standards and level of service were amazing. It really is an oasis of calm to retreat to after the hustle and bustle of New Delhi

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
TheOberoi-NewDelhi, Manager at The Oberoi, New Delhi, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

At The Oberoi, New Delhi, we are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to The Oberoi, New Delhi? Share your experiences!